It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libyan Pro-Democracy protesters storm extremist HQ!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Libyan Pro-Democracy protesters storm extremist HQ!

www.cnn.com

Benghazi, Libya (CNN) -- Ten days after four Americans were killed in their Libyan city, hundreds marched in Benghazi and took over the headquarters of a radical Islamist group tied to the attack.

Thousands of protesters had taken to the street earlier Friday, loudly declaring that they -- and not those behind last week's deadly attack -- represent the real sentiments of the Libyan people.

"I am sorry, America," one man said. "This is the real Libya."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.inquisitr.com
inagist.com
www.bullfax.com
edit on 21-9-2012 by POPtheKlEEN89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
With all the anti-Muslim/anti-Middle eastern hype being perpetrated by the MSM and the swaths of people eating it up i thought this was a stark reminder that they are Human Beings as well and not the savages many try to portray them as!

I really hope this is a trend that starts to spread, lets hope sanity prevails in all of this!

www.cnn.com
edit on 21-9-2012 by POPtheKlEEN89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by POPtheKlEEN89

With all the anti-Muslim hype being perpetrated by the MSM and the swaths of people eating it up i thought this was a stark reminder that they are Human Beings as well and not the savages many try ot portray them as!

I really hope this is a trend that starts to spread, lets hope sanity prevails in all of this!

www.cnn.com

I think it's more a reminder that Libya has hope. Unlike what some on here would have you believe.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

i agree, i really wish there was some kind of footage to help confirm this though.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

*sigh* searched for almost 5 minutes too, should have made it ten.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by POPtheKlEEN89

i agree, i really wish there was some kind of footage to help confirm this though.

There was video and pics of Libyans condemning the attack after it happened. The Libyan people have a LOT of anger towards the militias (who mostly are not Libyan). FYI I believe it was militias that were mostly responsible for the attack.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Let's just distinguish between the "good" and "bad" militias. There are those like the one attacked that are extremists, but unfortunately there was another Brigade hounded out of Benghazi that wasn't and is operating under the Libyan MoD's jurisdiction. I can understand the Libyan's wanting the militias to disband, but there isn't a strong enough central authority with it's own security forces yet to fill the void so getting them all to disband could actually increase lawlessness.

Never the less, Libya can hold it's head high. This is a good vindication that the intervention and the ousting of Gaddafi will, ultimately, be a proven to be a good thing and the fears of an Islamist takeover, often spouted here on ATS, is unfounded.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Let's just distinguish between the "good" and "bad" militias. There are those like the one attacked that are extremists, but unfortunately there was another Brigade hounded out of Benghazi that wasn't and is operating under the Libyan MoD's jurisdiction. I can understand the Libyan's wanting the militias to disband, but there isn't a strong enough central authority with it's own security forces yet to fill the void so getting them all to disband could actually increase lawlessness.

Never the less, Libya can hold it's head high. This is a good vindication that the intervention and the ousting of Gaddafi will, ultimately, be a proven to be a good thing and the fears of an Islamist takeover, often spouted here on ATS, is unfounded.

Well as I stated, MOST of them are not Libyan and bully the people. There are those who are good, but the few get a bad name from the rest. Hopefully this is the first step towards ending the problem.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04

Well as I stated, MOST of them are not Libyan and bully the people. There are those who are good, but the few get a bad name from the rest. Hopefully this is the first step towards ending the problem.

Well we in the West created the probelm, fed it, funded and armed it and reduced a prospering nation to rubble and fighting factions. Where did the nations wealth go? Where did their gold reserves go? Oh yeah, the Western banks are "holding" it - which means they'll never see it again and will be living in poverty and probably in hock to the new centralised bank and IMF to pay for the rebuilding, if things stabilise long enough to make it happen.
Their oil revenues will be siphoned off to Western corporations, instead of domestic investment, and the puppet goverment installed by the West will keep it that way for as long as possible.

All the violence against the West we are seeing recently is NOT all about "the film" as the press would have us all believe, but about the years of murder by Western nations of the people, simply for control of the resources. They don't hate us for our freedoms, and sure, they are a bit miffed in some places about the portrayal of their prophet, but that is just one small part of it all, and a manufactured one at that.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   

I wouldn't go as far as claiming "most" are bad, but certainly there is a sizeable minority of these militias which have ulterior motives. Many are operating under the command of the Libyan Government now, in lieu of the fledgling Army which at the moment is not capable of filling the void.

Imagine, if you will, the US in the early days. No standing Army and militias filling the void, until there is a strong enough central Government to take charge.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

The wealth of which you speak will be released (and I believe some already has - along with sanctions being lifted) when the new Government gets up on it's feet. The same happened in Iraq and Egypt, amongst others, where the new Governments can get the funds unfrozen once they've got up and running.

It is a bit of a cynical outlook you have, to be honest. The people of Libya are obviously happier and enjoying greater freedoms and I would hardly describe the Gaddafi era as "prosperous" as most Libyans did not see any of the wealth being generated.

You have to remember that there will be teething problems and disagreements between differing factions that, for a long while, have had their voices totally stifled. It is a good thing there is now widespread plurality in Libya and we will see, in the coming years, Libya reach far greater heights than they ever would have under Gaddafi.

Maybe I am just optimistic, but so far none of the nonsense spouted on ATS about Libya descending into an Islamist nightmare have remotely come true.

In actual fact, Libya is the only Arab Spring nation to NOT end up being taken over by Islamist factions and also the only one to have had Western intervention, so on the face of it it would appear that our intervention actually helped, whereas in Tunisia and Egypt (either side of Libya) we see the Muslim Brotherhood or affiliates take over.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

I wouldn't go as far as claiming "most" are bad, but certainly there is a sizeable minority of these militias which have ulterior motives. Many are operating under the command of the Libyan Government now, in lieu of the fledgling Army which at the moment is not capable of filling the void.

Imagine, if you will, the US in the early days. No standing Army and militias filling the void, until there is a strong enough central Government to take charge.

I suppose the "most" comment would apply to parts of Libya, maybe not Libya as a whole.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by POPtheKlEEN89

Wow, that is freakin awesome. Thanks Libya.
I wish Obama would comment on the pro-democracy protesters and give them our thanks for standing up to these extremists and risking their lives, that our attack on Gaddafi wasn't for naught.

These protesters may be Muslim (it seems they are moderate), but if they believe in Freedom of Choice, the billions we spent were absolutely worth saving their lives and giving them the opportunity to attempt a democracy.

I have to honestly say i am shocked, i did not expect that piece of news! It has made my day.

worldnews.nbcnews.com...

An estimated 30,000 Libyans marched to the group's brigade compound earlier in the day in protest, chanting, "No to militias," the Associated Press reported.

Haha, you go Libya! All that money we spent was worth those 30,000 lives, and their families. I am glad Obama had the balls to help these people. Even though i dont like Obama's politics.
edit on 22-9-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Here's the latest from the BBC - www.bbc.co.uk...
I'm pleasantly surprised. Yesterday's insanity in Pakistan was a bit depressing though.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
This is really awesome. A friend and me were having a discussion yesterday about Islam on Facebook, and he said there had been little to no renouncing of the Islamist violence from "peaceful" Islamists. I disagreed, naturally. And now this.

May Allah favor all of those who participated in throwing out the scumbags.

new topics

top topics

join