The worst drummer on ATS *drumroll* is ME!

page: 1

join

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
So, a few people have been asking me to make a video of me playing the drums since I always talk about it. Most people have never seen or heard me play. I'm a VERY harsh critic of myself and never felt confident in recording myself playing. I have played in front of audiences before though. I'm not the best, but I sure know how to have fun.

I haven't played like this in years! It took me a bit to warm up with this improvised practice. I was nervous for some reason playing the bluesy groove at the beginning. But I had fun today. Without further stalling for time, here it is!
(and there's a bonus video of me playing around with various percussion instruments.)

Star for whoever can guess my favorite drummer and whose influence I emulate in my fills/ solos.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

edit on 21-9-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)
edit on 21-9-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I enjoyed your drumming quite a bit actually

I've been playing guitar for about 13 years now, want to start a conspiracy band?

ETA: Actually improvising along with your drumming right now haha, better than the generic 2 minutes blues backing tracks on Youtube
edit on 22-9-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I didn't know Lars Ulrich was a member!!

Oh..

Actually, this is how bad he has become :

^ @ the 20 second mark.

Any instrument you dig playing is like meditation I think, As long as you enjoy it, that's all that matters! Sounded good to me!

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha
Star for whoever can guess my favorite drummer and whose influence I emulate in my fills/ solos.

Keith Moon?

You're a better drummer than me, so you're not the worst drummer on ATS.

BTW here's me playing sloppy bass to something you might recognise...

www.webfilehost.com...

Can I be in the band?

edit on 9/22/2012 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

A conspiracy band! Ha! I love it. Yeah, I've been playing for about that long too (not continuously of course.) I only get to really practice about once or twice a month now. When I was a teenager I played for about 1-2 hours a day working on beats and fills. I also took 2 years of percussion ensemble in junior high school. I was all ready to join jazz band and drum line in high school, but never actually made it that far!

What I should have been doing was practicing with a metronome more often though. If I had mastered a few more of the fundamentals instead of rushing over them, I'm sure I might not be all that bad.

I do love playing blues though. That's my favorite style of music to play.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Agreed. Meditation is about repetition and variation. So is music!

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

I do like Keith Moon quite a bit. He is definitely on my list of favorites. He played with such wild energy! In his younger days, you could hardly tell if he actually knew how to play or if he was just some hyper kid who wanted to make some noise. Awesome.

I am actually most influenced by John Bonham. I use a lot of triplets involving the bass in my beats as well. Bonzo was the first drummer I heard that made the drums powerful!--instead of just a side show.

By the way. When I click your link, I get a message "download link expired." The page shows the name of the file, but I am unable to download it for some reason. Sorry, for not being able to hear your recording.

I do think ATS should sponsor a blues conspiracy band though!
We could "deny" musical ignorance and spread 'funk' to the masses.
While keeping in line with the T&C's, course :lol
edit on 22-9-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

Click OK, and then the page will appear and you have to wait, there is a timer.

I have a soundclick account but I can't find my log in info, and I think I used an old email addy, it was years ago when I signed up. I guess I should make a vid and put it on youtube.

I thought some of your rolls were Moonish lol. Good job on the kick, triplets are tough to do.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

truly enjoyed you just playing around with some balafon, cans and other stuff

and i also agree with this motion

reply to post by winofiend
Agreed. Meditation is about repetition and variation. So is music!

keep playing, keep posting, you are awesome

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by applecore

Thanks for the video! I had to uncover my djembe (which unfortunately gets used as a table next to my desk sometimes. Shame on me!) and learn that rhythm. I still have much to learn about hand drums. I have only been playing them for a year or two.

I could go on and on about drums. It's been said that music was man's first invention..and drums are man's first form of music. There is even some evidence that some of our very early 'caveman' ancestors were playing a form of balafon much farther back in pre-history than we thought.

Drums have an amazing effect on human physiology as well. The djembe especially is a healing drum. The body/ mind connection is very sensitive to the djembe and balafon. They have been used in ritual dancing and healing for thousands of years. They are even used as meditative tools to enter trance and shamanic states of consciousness--not just in Western Africa where the balafon and djembe originated, but ALL over the world, drums have been used this way.

As for the video of the balafon..I was running out of ideas and getting tired of recording myself playing. So I wanted to start posting religious and historical photos of drums. I started with a picture of Shiva (who has a drum.) But then I got lazy and just started posting other Hindu gods and goddesses instead of going with my initial plan. It seemed to fit the tone of the last half of the song since there was very little actual drumming. I actually just took a small bit of the can resonance sound and altered it with audacity to make all those weird noises. I slowed it down and it sounded like a choir of women singing! So, then I played a few tones on a wooden flute and slowed that down..which began to sound like Ouhhhhmmm. I just went with it. The screeching sound is just altered whistling, which I stole from Pink Floyd.

The vibration of a drum, in short, is a reflection of the creative vibration of life and existence. It is the pulse and heartbeat of what we are.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I don't care if you know my name.
This is me.
www.youtube.com...
Keep practicing brother. Really hard, for a very long time.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by immortalgrey

That was stunning! A most excellent groove with expert timing, interesting fills, and plenty of captivating tricks. That one-handed roll/ drag is intense! I can barely even do one-handed triplets without sticks flying everywhere!

Thanks so much for sharing this. You've inspired me to spend more time behind my kit until I'm half as good as you haha.

Interesting set up too. I'm not sure I could handle toms on the left and right of the snare. I've been thinking of adding a popcorn snare to the left side of my snare drum though.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I couldn't tell if your post was a compliment or an insult
and that's awesome haha

www.youtube.com...

edit on 23-9-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
OMG! I'VE HIT THE MOTHER LOAD!:

Thanks for this thread, NB! Awesome drummers everywhere! I LOVE IT! You are all great!

I could listen to drums all day. It peps me up.

Cool videos NB. S&F on your thread.
edit on 9/23/2012 by sled735 because: correction
edit on 9/23/2012 by sled735 because: correction
edit on 9/23/2012 by sled735 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by immortalgrey
I don't care if you know my name.
This is me.
www.youtube.com...
Keep practicing brother. Really hard, for a very long time.

Showoff!
I loved it! You are fantastic!

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   

No insult intended. Just solid advice.
That set up is in the style of Bill Bruford, the original drummer from YES, that he uses now.
The toms on the left help build up you usage of both arms, independently.
The only way I found to get to this level is lots and lots of hard practice.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Found this on my facebook page. I had to share!

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Thanks fro the entertainment!
I'm gonna say John Bonham.hope I got that right! Anyway, thanks again. I enjoyed it a lot, luv going to 'drum circle' but that's the best I can manage.!

P. S. I didn't peek - Score with Bonham - If your gonna be inspired by somebody, that's a pretty darn good place to start !
edit on 25/3/2013 by CarbonBase because: added content - ps

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by sled735

Yeah I couldn't figure out how to embed that. It was okay. Drums lines are pretty neat. They got some sticking skills. Who sent that to you?
edit on 26-3-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha

Originally posted by sled735

Yeah I couldn't figure out how to embed that. It was okay. Drums lines are pretty neat. They got some sticking skills. Who sent that to you?
edit on 26-3-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

It was posted by a friend. I don't want to give their name.

new topics
top topics

join