It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outrageous! Senate just voted overwhelmingly against stopping foreign aid. 81-10

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
Now more than ever we as americans need to put aside all their division tactics, Dem,Rep, Rich, Poor, and anything else they think up to divide us.

Stand united and tell these Retards we are mad as hell and wont take it anymore.

Vote them all out, I don't care whose running against them, Any time I see someone running against an Incumbent Im voting for them no matter what.

Best that will do is slow them down, not that that's the worst thing that could happen, its just not really a solution, since "the other guy" is the same thing.

Also, unless we're going to start using slang names for gays, whites, blacks, asians, jews, etc., let's not throw "retards" around, mmkay?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Foreign aid is often a US jobs bill in disguise. It is often tied to buying products from the US from corn to weapons. The country might have access to corn that is closer and maybe even cheaper from a neighboring country but since it's not their money they don't mind buying more expensive US corn that MUST be transported by US flagged ship with union crews. Foreign military aid is much the same. US gives X amount of defense aid that must be used to by US weapons and munitions.

Both parties have their welfare Queens. The democrats have millions of folks that might receive $1500 a month in various aid that adds up to billions, while the Republicans have theirs, though less in number, that receive billions in things like foreign defense aid that must be spent by countries like Egypt and Israel on US weapons and munitions.

As far as the subject of this thread, I do think that those who voted against this are the ones who made the correct choice. The cutting has to start somewhere, I really don't care where.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by longlostbrother

Originally posted by TrueBlood

Originally posted by RussianScientists
America can't just stop giving aid to other countries, especially when they need help after a disaster has occurred, or when an opposing nation attacks or threatens their nations; especially when most of them have been willing to go along with the American petro dollar which is not backed by anything and the presses are running faster every year.

Really? Because last time I checked America had double digit unemployed with it's own people living on the street. Of course we need to send money to Israel while our own suffer!

The people that voted no on this need to be tried for treason.

No, that's completely absurd.

Total foreign economic and military aid (2010 - last year available to my knowledge): $52.7 billion
en.wikipedia.org...

Money spent on the military and homeland security in 2010: 700 Billion+
en.wikipedia.org...

You wanna know where our money goes? It isn't foreign aid.
edit on 23-9-2012 by longlostbrother because: (no reason given)

I never said I was for the constant war either, and that is a topic for another thread, but $52.7 billion could help the people that lose their jobs, their house, their family and their health to war and constant abuse set upon us by these very same people. That money should not be going to Israel, India, Egypt or wherever else! That is taxpayer money and it should stay in America! These people have no right to vote against our interests using our money. They should be tried for treason.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
Carl Schramm on Destructive Foreign Aid

“When we think about the course of development for the last 50 years, we thought the only solution was for rich countries to give money to poor countries. That is the conclusion of Bono, for example, the rock star advances this idea, as do a number of intellectuals. That’s really the position of the United Nations. Now the empirical facts, the quantitative facts, the record of history, actually operates in quite the opposite way. For 50 years, we have seen essentially the suppression of free markets and capitalism as a result of aid and the record is awfully clear that virtually all of this aid supports corruption in the political regimes… Moreover, increasingly we’re understanding that this concept of just flooding a country with aid is actually destructive to the development of creative labor markets.”[

www.laprogressive.com...

www.debate.org...

Says the "fellow" from the George W Bush Institute.

Draw your own conclusions.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

America can't just stop giving aid to other countries, especially when they need help after a disaster has occurred, or when an opposing nation attacks or threatens their nations; especially when most of them have been willing to go along with the American petro dollar which is not backed by anything and the presses are running faster every year.

Really? Because last time I checked America had double digit unemployed with it's own people living on the street. Of course we need to send money to Israel while our own suffer!

Total foreign economic and military aid (2010 - last year available to my knowledge): $52.7 billion
en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

I never said I was for the constant war either, and that is a topic for another thread, but $52.7 billion could help the people that lose their jobs, their house, their family and their health to war and constant abuse set upon us by these very same people. That money should not be going to Israel, India, Egypt or wherever else! That is taxpayer money and it should stay in America! These people have no right to vote against our interests using our money. They should be tried for treason.

No... sorry, but no... that money is a DROP in the bucket compared to the WASTE in the military.

Instead of cutting something that actually does a bit of good, cut the military spending by 10%, keep foreign aid, and make a PROFIT of 20 Billion!

so.

No, you're setting up this concept America is being hurt by foreign aid, but in fact, we can EASILY afford foreign aid, easily, with tiny cuts to the military... same goes for things like education.

There's NO FINANCIAL REASON to cut foreign aid... it's a pittance compared to other stuff we waste money on.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

No... sorry, but no... that money is a DROP in the bucket compared to the WASTE in the military.

Instead of cutting something that actually does a bit of good, cut the military spending by 10%, keep foreign aid, and make a PROFIT of 20 Billion!

so.

No, you're setting up this concept America is being hurt by foreign aid, but in fact, we can EASILY afford foreign aid, easily, with tiny cuts to the military... same goes for things like education.

There's NO FINANCIAL REASON to cut foreign aid... it's a pittance compared to other stuff we waste money on.

You don't get it do you? We are 16 TRILLION dollars in debt. American can't afford ANYTHING! Nothing! How about we cut military spending by 100% and only go to war when we're attacked like our founding fathers wanted? How about we stop playing world police? How about we let England hand money to Israel? England put those people there let them deal with them. Why are we giving foreign aid to countries that are at war with us over our own people?! What does India do for us that is so important that we need to send them billions a year? For that matter, what does Israel do for us that is so important that we need to not only send them billions a year, but remain in a constant state of war for their holy war?

WE NEED COMMON SENSE IN THIS COUNTRY! WE ARE BROKE! WE HAVE NO INDUSTRY, NO JOBS, NOTHING! AND WE'RE GIVING OUR MONEY AWAY!

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by longlostbrother

Well there is plenty of evidence out there. I have seen it for 40 years and thought it was common knowledge. You obviously have google. Do some research. I posted other links from different sources but will not do your homework for you. I could find thousands of articles if i wanted to.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

so.

You don't get it do you? We are 16 TRILLION dollars in debt. American can't afford ANYTHING! Nothing! How about we cut military spending by 100% and only go to war when we're attacked like our founding fathers wanted? How about we stop playing world police? How about we let England hand money to Israel? England put those people there let them deal with them. Why are we giving foreign aid to countries that are at war with us over our own people?! What does India do for us that is so important that we need to send them billions a year? For that matter, what does Israel do for us that is so important that we need to not only send them billions a year, but remain in a constant state of war for their holy war?

WE NEED COMMON SENSE IN THIS COUNTRY! WE ARE BROKE! WE HAVE NO INDUSTRY, NO JOBS, NOTHING! AND WE'RE GIVING OUR MONEY AWAY!

Common sense says that soft power,i.e. Financial Aid, is much cheaper than war.

The Iraq war cost 1 Trillion so far, one war. If we can spend 50 billion and "get our way" and actually help people, which in turn prevents worse problems in places like Haiti, then we should.

It's a shame that we ONLY spend as much on education in the US as we do on foreign aid, but that's not the same as saying we should end foreign aid.

Cut military spending in half (that means cut 380 billion), for one year and you could triple what we spend on education for over six years... The real problem the US has is reckless spending on wars, the military, homeland security and tax cuts...

I'm NOT a huge fan of Israel, and I know that a lot of money gets wasted, in every country, but it's patently absurd to label people that smartly vote to use the US' soft power as traitors.

Rand Paul, the poseur, however, is a traitor for trying to play politics with foreign policy.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec

Well there is plenty of evidence out there. I have seen it for 40 years and thought it was common knowledge. You obviously have google. Do some research. I posted other links from different sources but will not do your homework for you. I could find thousands of articles if i wanted to.

No there's not really evidence that helping Haitians find food and shelter, say, prevents them from become entrepreneurs.

There is however a great deal of shouting from the rightwing about ending aid, for a variety of reasons, mostly to do with political grandstanding.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
So our foreign policy regarding aid is nothing more than bribery? Do you honestly believe that this money goes anywhere other than to line the pockets of said nation's elite? All foreign aid needs to be cut and that includes Israel. All military spending needs to be cut, we need to bring all of our troops home and put them on our border. Last time I checked, we have a bloodthirsty drug cartel (created by the war on drugs while we have our troops farm opium in Afghanistan) that needs to be dealt with. If these bloodthirsty politicians (who will never put on the uniform themselves) want a war, there's one waiting on OUR border.

You may be against Ron or Rand Paul for whatever reason, but their policy is about as close as we're going to get to sanity in this country. The simple fact is we can not afford it anymore. The wars, the foreign aid, shipping our entire industry over seas, whatever. It can not be sustained and thus why we are 16 trillion in debt.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBlood

I don't have to "believe" anything as there's ample evidence of how the money does get spent.

Cutting all foreign aid is not even vaguely sane btw.

When Haiti turns into Somalia, how will that cost?

The US' policy of spending less than 10% of it's military budget on foreign aid is completely reasonable.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I must say the Rand actually makes a point. America has given way too much foreign aid to other governments which have abused such aid. US foreign aid often involves giving money to governments which treat their people like garbage while getting fat off the US dollar.

Although, I am in support of foreign aid. Aid should be given to governments who will in fact use such aid to do good for their people. It would make better sense to send direct supplies and intelligent people who can help to improve the lives of people in other nations instead of handing out money to any crazed government which will support the American agenda of maintaining the US empire.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

I don't have to "believe" anything as there's ample evidence of how the money does get spent.

Cutting all foreign aid is not even vaguely sane btw.

When Haiti turns into Somalia, how will that cost?

The US' policy of spending less than 10% of it's military budget on foreign aid is completely reasonable.

Why is it our problem what Haiti turns into? As long as they're no threat to us, let them do whatever they want. We are not here to play world police man. We are not here to build shelter and aid those in need when we can't even shelter and aid those in need in our own country. It will never be reasonable so long as we are 16 trillion in debt. It will never be reasonable so long as we're helping others while our own suffer.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by eLPresidente

Wow !

I'm European and I have said several times over, that I don't like American politics at all, because of the government.

Elections are like a celebrity contest, the best funded, will likely win, simply by collecting more votes from getting noticed more and everywhere. Only some smart people care for their arguments. While I think even that is open for a debate, cause Obama won with "Change yes we can" I still can't believe that an empty phrase will be so popular as it has been then.

I'm sorry about my rant by the way, but this is the perfect place IMO. At least you have the ability to get to pick your president. I do not have that option anymore. Mine is said to be a Broomstick with the charisma of a librarian.
Funny as hell of course, but not a laughing matter.

I thought you were posting about aid for people in need, when I read your headline. I was going to be a real prick about it.

Luckily, you showed what is wrong in the US. The government isn't in power. They are corrupted.

I'm really sorry that I agree with you on topic. It is outrageous.

Thank you. I will learn some more about the guy that dares to go against the system. Rand Paul is his name right ?

Good luck ! We're going to need it....

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Unfortunately, this sort of excellent bill is a rarity for the younger Paul.

He is definitely NOT his father's son.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
We SHOULD be able to stop bleeding out .. but the damn politicians in DC won't let us.

Helping other countries with foreign is not, "bleeding out"... that's a completely asinine way to describe it...

What is 'asinine' is you thinking that our 'foreign aid' is actually 'helping out foreign countries'.
What is 'asinine' is you saying that my telling the truth.. that we are bleeding out .. is asinine.
Grow up.

edit on 9/23/2012 by FlyersFan because: fixed quote

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

That kind of thinking has led to so many bad things in the past. It's one of those, "if we don't learn from the past..." kind of things. Instability anywhere tends to created bigger and bigger problems.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

We SHOULD be able to stop bleeding out .. but the damn politicians in DC won't let us.

Helping other countries with foreign is not, "bleeding out"... that's a completely asinine way to describe it...

What is 'asinine' is you thinking that our 'foreign aid' is actually 'helping out foreign countries'.
What is 'asinine' is you saying that my telling the truth.. that we are bleeding out .. is asinine.
Grow up.

edit on 9/23/2012 by FlyersFan because: fixed quote

So if I show you what, say two dozen examples, of how our aid has actually helped others and ourselves, will you change your mind?

In exchange you show me how saving 50B a year will save America.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

1 - every penny saved counts. every drop of water in a bucket fills up the bucket.

2 - the gov't labels all sorts of money that they are shipping overseas as 'foreign aid'. Billions sent overseas to governments ... not much actually helping real people. Tons of payoffs to foreign governments with a few photo-ops here and there to try to make it look like legitimate aid.

America bleeds out ...
Official 'foreign aid' should be stopped. We can't afford it.
We should be aiding people here with tax money .. not handing money to foreign governments.

Private organizations do plenty of charity work overseas.
Their money actually makes it to the people and doesn't get sucked up by corrupt governments.

OUT

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

1. 50B will not save or destroy America. You know that.

2. Show us proof. And after all your ranting about traitors and bleeding out it better be pretty conclusive.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join