It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can a nobody become a somebody in American politics?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
As the title of thread asks, is it possible that someone no political connections, wealth or status have a chance to climb the political ladder to perhaps become a senator or even president?

I find myself examining class distinctions and the apparent barriers to entry to the upper echelons of politics.

Was Andrew Johnson the first and only non wealth presidents prior to his time in office?

Andrew Johnson (December 29, 1808 – July 31, 1875) was the 17th President of the United States (1865–1869)
Andrew Johnson was born in Raleigh, North Carolina, to Jacob Johnson (1778–1812) and Mary ("Polly") McDonough (1783–1856), a seamstress and the daughter of Andrew McDonough. He had a brother William four years his elder and an older sister Elizabeth, who died in childhood.[4] Johnson's grandfather William was poverty stricken, and was unable to educate his son Jacob or pass on any land to him

)

I find this whole "skull and bones" like farce prevents truly capable leaders from being able to get into these high positions of politics. I am sure all of you know a certain person who just amazes you with his or her intelligence, leadership ability and charism, that it makes you wonder, why arnt they further up the social latter.

I feel we live in a world governed by who you know and the means at your disposal. What I am asking here is; is it possible to get around the barriers to entry and potentially become a president or prime minister while lacking connections and monetary means??

Perhaps democracy will be truly democratic when the average joe wins the confidence of his peers and becomes a leader.

What you think?

edit on 21-9-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
sure.. if theyre corrupt.. soulless... willing to sell their mother... murderous... psychotic...

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
the problem is those that seek these jobs are people that shouldn't have them.

And those that should, never seek it.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
With social media, I see no reason why any qualifying individual can't go from nobody to president.

Just make a video stating your positions and post it on youtube (and other social media), use charm and charisma to gain a following. Get that following to spread the word. Set up a donation account (paypal or whatever). If people like you, then you will earn your way into the game.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Depends who your parents are.

Intelligence isn't heretitory.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by LeatherNLace

If it was that easy why arnt we seeing these people rising through the ranks of the political parties. Like I suggested in the OP. there are barriers to entry, like a rich/well connected person club. The pre exsisting party members will resist the average joe from reaching the pinnacle of politics.

Current politicians are happy with the way things are, and the scenario I have proposed would threaten that I think

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Its dang hard for a nobody to be President. Its happened as you've said - but check this list..

The Net Worth of the U.S. Presidents: From Washington to Obama

The father of our country makes Romney look poor by comparison.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Nope, unless your blood runs deep with George Bushes and Obama's you can't be a somebody in politics. NEXT---->>>

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
It's not what you know..it's who you know..you can do pretty much anything without talent, with the technology we have these days..

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I know that It would reinvigorate my confidence in western democracy if the average joe or jill could get elected. I think when that happens we can feel safe to call democracy truly democratic.

I know of a few fellow members that would make a great president.

Beezzer for president!

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

I think most modern presidents realize early on they can change very little personally,they are just a figure head a spokesperson for the real people pulling the strings..

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
reply to post by LeatherNLace

If it was that easy why arnt we seeing these people rising through the ranks of the political parties.

Because social media is relatively new and, more importantly, is a youth movement type of thing. Remember, the qualifying age for POTUS is 35. Give it another 8 years and You will start to see candidates emerge from those sources.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Sure they can. If you can go to high school and Columbia university in such a way that none of the alumni even remember you, get a law degree but never use it for anything, then be one of the least liked professors at Harvard , then never have any type of actual job, just be a "community organizer", also known as a "rabble rouser".

Then you bribe enough people to get elected to Congress. One year of that, and obviously you are totally qualified to run the biggest economy in the world. Watch your TV for details.

new topics

top topics

join