It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Avatar By Any Other Name....The Psychology of Avatars

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I chose my username based on my name

And my avatar used to be my name as well but I have no idea for the life of me how to add a new picture, because it says I have to upload to the ats image server or something? And when I click on the link to go tehre it just takes me to a video page.

So for now, I am the man with no face

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I abide, therefore I am.

I like white russians, clean rugs, and the occasional study of sacred geometry.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

reply to post by Julio

Julio, all you need to know about uploading your avatar image is in this thread: Avatar upload: Step by step instructions with pictures (2012).

If you still have any problems or need help with adjusting or resizing your avatar, then please visit the Avatar Creations thread, where members will be happy to help you out.

reply to post by smyleegrl

Hi smyleegrl,

nice thread!

I chose my avatar even before I joined ATS. I was using it on another (unrelated) site and because she means something special to me, I decided to use her here as well. She's the only avatar I've ever used here. The original painting is called "Rainmaker" and the artist is David Penfound.

Do people's avatars influence me? Yes, sometimes they do and I think that for many of us, it's almost inevitable. However, it's what people say that really matters and that's what I've always gone by when reading posts and also also adding members to my "friends" list.

Mike

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 22/9/12 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Thanks Mike! I'll check that out and get something up

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Great question! S&F for that.

I chose my avatar because Walter Matthau was in Grumpy Old Men, and, for good or ill, that it soooo me!
I don't remember names here, but I'll never forget an avatar.

It's probably human nature to compare someone's avatar to what they're writing. If the pic is youngish, even to the point of childish, I'll probably not take this person seriously.

For me, your avatar explodes with optimism. I see "I am woman!", but because of your smile I don't read you as a man hater.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteHat
reply to post by graceunderpressure

I did, right above your previous post.

Duh! That'll teach me to post before having my morning quota of coffee.

I did go back and read your interesting post. Jack Sparrow -- check. Johnny Depp -- check, check. Sons of Anarchy... looks really interesting but in my head I've typecast one of the lead actors who also starred in a terrible Steven King film about a demonic spirit who made the guy walk around saying, "Tack, tack..." all the time. I have a hard time watching anything else he plays in. Funny how things stick in your head.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
My current Avatar is my avatar from DC Universe Online MMO. He is a superhero who's mentor is Wonder Woman, so he is learning how to wield magic from her.

Sometimes an avatar will tend to color my perceptions of a poster, if I don't know who's in the avatar I tend to assume it's a picture of the poster themselves, even though intellectually I know it may not be. However, usually I assume the poster is a male because most computer users and gamers are male, even though I know I could be talking to a woman. I usually tend to think this way, at least until I know otherwise.

But otherwise, it doesn't really affect my responses all that much. My responses are always based on what the material of the post contains, and in that regard I'm pretty much neutral because I really don't know who i'm posting to.

For all I know, I could be posting to Obama himself who is just moonlighting to relax from the stress of being a president. or I could be talking to a famous actor. Of course I could be talking to an infamous criminal of some sort or I could even be talking to a mobster who has powerful connection. Or i could just be talking to a normal Joe from Modesto (sorry I just had to make a rhyme, I hope you don't mind). That's both the dangers and the wonders of being on a discussion board like this. For I all know you could be Jessica Alba herself.

Eventually I'll change it when I get bored with it/

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
1. So....how did you choose your avatar?

I didn't choose it, it chose me. I usually change mine quit often, but I like the one I have now. I'm hoping it creates mass confusion.

2. When you read a post, do you pay attention to the poster's avatar? If so, does the avatar ever influence your response or moderate your reply?

Yes. No.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Originally posted by Chukkles

Originally posted by Sinny
reply to post by benrl

Your avatars another great one.

Between your posts and pik, I feel your a real honest patriot and your calm, collected and reasonable

Its also a warm colour that reminds me of Autumn, my favorite season.
edit on 21-9-2012 by Sinny because: missed a comma

It tells me he's a gamer, he's waiting for Bioshock Infinite more than any game.
Thats were that pic is from.

My avi, represents my love for horror films as well as twisted humour, so does the Chukky inspired name.

Actually its not, its from an artist called Sharp Writer on Diviant art, no relation to bio shock what so ever.

I am how ever a gamer.

Ok, I would say it is definatly inspired by the game.
It just looks so similar to the style and look of it.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Though I don't like to admit it (even to myself) avatars do influence my perception of a poster.

Some avatars on here really give me the creeps, but understanding the psychology of why one may have picked it helps, which this thread is very helpful with.

My avatar has changed from a calm sunset to the current one.

I liked the eyes, and it reminded me of a saying I have seen on here before ..." Real Eyes_ Realize_ Real Lies".(though I have to admit I am not always so great at spotting real lies, I am hoping to improve
)

Great thread Smileygirl, and I have to say I loved your avatar of smiley face lollipops, but the current one is a great fit for you.
edit on 23-9-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLonewolf

I use to get creeped out too but by grey images but I loved it!!

I remember when they did "alien" segments on "Unsolved Mysteries." I'd have all the lights on in the house as a kid. I was usually baby sitting when it was on so I was able to watch it since we didn't have cable at home. I use to get chills but secretly I loved it.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Haha I so heard O'Neil's voice saying that when I saw your comment. lol

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I picked my avatar (and the ones I used before this one) because it depicts Gillian Anderson who played Agent Scully on the X-Files. And I heart the X-Files.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I change my avatar constantly... and if I bring this up to my psychiatrist I'm afraid that she'll ask more questions about ATS... and then I'll have to answer them... and then I'll get to sit in the common room doing the Thorazine shuffle for a few months.

Oh Good God... now I'm OCD'ing about avatar conspiracies.

(S&F BTW... fun thread!
)

~Heff

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
What is my avatar? It's many things. It's a mark of achievement. It's a mark of the supernatural. It's a triple beit.

It's pure crazy in a 6X9 glossy.

One of the 36. Quite an achievement eh?

www.inner.org...

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
In my avatar I see myself as a note in Humankinds joyous and ongoing song of praise to the glory of life.

I study other members avatars. Sometimes I gather an insight into the person behind the avatar. If not, I can at least glean an insight into the thinking’s of us.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Hi. I saw a link to this thread in another recent thread and thought I'd check it out. I find avatars unnecessary yet intriguing. So I have one, but it's nothing special.

1. This avatar was taken from a fictional character that vaguely resembles my own appearance. The man-of-mystery motif seemed appropriate for ATS.

2. Sometimes I turn avatars off so that I won't ignore posts. Sometimes I feel like the avatars are just a bunch of fake BS and we would be better off without them.

When reading a post its almost like the avatar speaking... so... we can't help making judgments. Even if there were no avatars people would still make similar judgements based on user name, but probably fewer.

Even with avatars off I found myself turning them back on just to satisfy the curiosity of knowing what a certain member "looks like" after reading a few of their posts.

I think you were one of those!

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Malynn

Lmao, my ringtone is the xfiles theme now...my avatar is of me wearing a Grey alien mask smoking a cigarette, because I want to desperately meet an alien, that I feel we are ALL aliens to earth, that we are from elsewhere, yet the cigarette represents I'm under the mask and still here
edit on 2/13/2013 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

1. So....how did you choose your avatar?

It's one of my favorite actual pics of me, and it fits me now that my wife and I own a ranch. Granted, this pic is from a few years back, but it's me.

2. When you read a post, do you pay attention to the poster's avatar? If so, does the avatar ever influence your response or moderate your reply?

Sure, I see it, but I don't think it influences my response...although I do think we tend to assume gender based on avatars.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join