It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DHS orders 200,000,000+ more rounds of zomgwtf ammunition

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
The people down playing the procurement of deadly rounds by the government and not the military is sad and ignorant at this point.
You say they are just locking in future prices. That say's that they are planning to use this ammo and have plans to buy more at low prices.

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.

Then it's fun you can't see.

edit on 21-9-2012 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
this is interesting,.
A friend of mine was recently discussing this very ammo and the sole purpose
of it,. and well,, it aint practice ammo..
If I were to guess, I say Most of the ATS community doesnt have any Idea why (besides the rumored financial crash theory) that all these preparations are going on. I think the government knew this year and beginning of 2013 was going to be real game changer for all of the world. And i think they knew it was gonna be this way well before Obama was gonna be in office. The prepping has been going on for quite some time.. I remember when Obama first got to office, he said he was planning on having the all our troops back by 2011,. but this plan was already on the books,. but was delayed a year,. now you see the troops are coming home, but I dont think its for Leave,. but homeland duty.
According to an article By the Washington Post in 2008 the title stated " Pentagon to detail Military to bolster security" it says Plan would dedicate 20,000 uniformed troops inside U.S. by 2011. I think this plan is still on,. just a little later.. and I think the lockdown on the American peoples is comin soon..

On a side note Dr Peter Vincent Pry has stated he feels we are at a very great threat of an EMP situation, either by the SUN or a terrorist type threat. I did just read that the Iranians recently bought a Russian Sub, and that Sub has just set out to sea yesterday.. Gotta wonder just how much of a possibility that the sub could contain a Nuclear
warhead to reach an altitude ( if they got close enough to our shores) to detonate over the US and actually create that EMP.. This would shut us down and enact complete mayhem and most likely martial law.. Just a thought.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Here's a one liner for the 1%... Backed by the other 99% of the planet, THE planet, and I.
YOU BETTER BRING IT LIKE COUNTERSTRIKE!! CAUSE WE THE PEOPLE WILL!!

Well be using whatever guns they use to fight back with anyway, why waste a nice firearm? & free ammo to fight back with..

Everyone is not stupid, its a war and its coming fast. Its the war where the whole world goes nuts!

There is not much we can do to avoid it, its been brewing for a very long time.

Peace? Maybe some day, In a galaxy far far away.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
While this is interesting and makes you stop and think. I wonder why they are being so blatant about it. I mean that allot of ammo and if they meant to use it I am just wondering what we are not seeing. Doesn't seem like they hid this particular purchase very well.. Could be it be diversionary. You know keep us watching the right hand while the left hand stabs us in the back..

Another thing that seems off. A good sniper only needs as many rounds as he has got targets. Usually this means one or even two high priority hits. Doesn't the amounts seem disproportionate. I mean sure in the long run so much might be used but the average shooter will take 5 to 6 shots with a pistol even a regular rifle. Machine guns spit out rounds like someone set a fire under their Arse. So why so many Sniper and not very much of the others.. Just thinking out loud Didn't mean to derail.
Therian

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by davjan4

If I'm not mistaken, they use carry ammo for training as well. The simple logic of this being that you need to know the point of impact, level of recoil and reliability of what you'll be using in a fight. Say you're using a duty round that hits dead on at 25 yards, but train with one that hits an inch high and left. When you go to take the shot that might save your life, you might try to compensate for the training rounds, not what you're carrying.

And as for hollowpoints under the Geneva Convention, they are banned, technically speaking. The specific wording is that expanding bullets are banned. A match 168-grain hollowpoint is designed for pure accuracy, and while it will expand somewhat, I believe they are allowed under the Geneva Convention. The purpose of the hollowpoint is not to expand in this case, but to move weight to the rear of the bullet for better ballistics.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by MasonicFantom
reply to post by mikellmikell

1.4 billion being a lot or not is arguable.

But if you're not worried about the quantity (and these aren't machine gun rounds we're talking about where quantity is less worrisome), then it's what type of bullets they are ordering and who is ordering them that should concern you.

edit on 21-9-2012 by MasonicFantom because: (no reason given)

A .223 or a .222 magnum round will pass right through body armour (Type I, II or III) so large quantities should be of concern in the .223 flavor. If the .308 rounds are teflon coated I would be concerned because these are again body armour piercing rounds (anything in lead that's teflon coated should be of concern). The non-teflon coated .308 will not pass through well constructed body armour, I can attest to that since I got nailed by a sniper a while back and the broken rib still reminds of that day every time the barometric pressure changes.

Looks to me like DHS is buying a mix of knock down, long distance soft target and armour piercing rounds, and those kinds of orders in those quantities are only for two things, wars and revolutions. Now these are the orders that are published, can anyone dig up the unpublished black budget orders? Because that is where the real story will be told.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLegend

OH NO-----the military and police are buying ammo.
How many of these silly threads do we need to see?

And the real issues fall to the side once again as we argue the finer points of nothing. They don't even need to put thought into the propaganda of today the people are so easily fooled.

Whoever thinks this crap up must be rolling around on the floor at the response they get.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by MasonicFantom
If you're not in the "1%" club then you should be concerned. If you're not concerned now then you won't be until there's a bullet tearing through your skull after you go on a rampage due to being squeezed out by the incoming hyperinflation as a result of QE3 and when every type of bubble (especially the stock market bubble)...pops.

PS I'm in that 1%. So good luck.
edit on 21-9-2012 by MasonicFantom because: (no reason given)

1% club huh? Well you must have inherited it. I'm thinking if a bullet is tearing through your skull, your days of concern are pretty much over.

One guy makes a good point. Delivery may be stretched over a number of years and it is just a cost measure. if delivery is more immediate, I wonder, would these amounts place a strain on the open market supply? Anybody notice an ammo shortage? Sure you can keep your guns. We'll just take all the bullets.

Likely this represents ordinary usage. Now that's a sobering thought. Ordinary usage.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I'll repeat and add to my original thought.

Yes there is some concern. It is ALOT of rounds even for training. You typically don't hear of federal departments needing or using that kind of ammo. I am not excusing it, or saying there is not concern, but when you think about shooting needs and the price of copper and other metals going up, it's not a bad idea to order in bulk, Yes, it could be because other "events" are anticipated, the worrld is going to hell in a handbasket and all of us are entertaining our worst fears. But depending on those fears, it might be a good idea the govt has prepared. Just depends on your favorite SHTF scenario. Is the ammo to be used against US civillians, or to protect us. No one knows.

Couple of training notes of interest I have picked up word of mouth from several police, security, and military officers I know; and my own limited experience.

1. MOST departments train with the same ammo they use in the field. I know if you go to Wally Mart you can buy "training" ammo (which is usually just FMJ) and you can buy "self defense" ammo, (which is usually some variety of hollow point). It's cheaper usually to shoot FMJ. So if you shoot for fun and practice that makes sense. But an officer (especially if they are a designated marksman, entry team, hostage rescue, or other SWAT type tactical team) needs the same consistancy everytime.

2. While hollow points DO expand and DO cause more damage, they are also LESS likely to go through the target and into someone else, or through a wall, etc. This is a secondary reason MOST departments carry themm, and most civillians use them for self defense/concealed carry. Incidently hollow points are also LESS likely to penetrate body armor.

3. The amount of shooting in a year varies. For some departments you may only qualify once a year. SO say 50 rounds. You might also practice with 50 rounds once a month, but again that depends. That's barely 600 rounds a year. BUT, a tactical team memeber might fire several hundred rounds a WEEK in practice. Clearing rooms and shooting over some hostages shoulder into the head of the attacker thats using them as a human sheild takes an incredible amount of skill (at least without hitting the hostage) and those types of shooting skills have to be maintained with constant practice. SEAL TEAM six (DevGru) at one point shot more ammo in triaining then theh entire US Marines. Secret Service Agents on protective details get similar training and practice, whear as FIsh and Wildlife probably practice once or twice a year.

So there is a logical explenation.

It is also scary........

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join