It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gospel of Jesus's Wife is fake, claims expert

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by windword

Originally posted by benrl

Originally posted by sylent6
Jesus wife is God's organization, his government, his people. People its symbolic.

Yep, people don't seem to understand Jesus constantly called the church his Bride.

Can you please quote where in the Bible Jesus call his "church" his bride?

Thats a Catholic thing. I dont think its in the bible.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

Where does it say that? Not including books written after he died.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ
reply to post by Deetermined

I take that to mean the Kingdom is within.

That could be, but the question we have to ask ourselves is what happens to those who have the "door shut" on them at the time that the marriage takes place?

Matthew 25:10-13

10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.

11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.

12 But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.

13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by deadeyedick

Is it the reproductive experience or the OMG experience that you are talking about. Because I've done both and the OMG is a heck of a lot more fun than the reproductive part.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

And one has to be married in these days to if one is a Rabbi.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057
reply to post by AngryCymraeg

Being of the Jewish faith Jesus would have had to have had a wife. It was required by doctrine. He was a man of faith, he would have obeyed the laws of his religion.

Jesus also healed sick people on the Sabbath and admonished people who held Jewish laws in higher regard than God's law and getting married wasn't part of God's law.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined

Originally posted by MamaJ

I take that to mean the Kingdom is within.

That could be, but the question we have to ask ourselves is what happens to those who have the "door shut" on them at the time that the marriage takes place?

Matthew 25:10-13

10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.

11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.

12 But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.

13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

In my opinion?

I think when the time comes for the door to be shut an individuals flesh will serve one of two Gods.

1. Unity ( equals peace)

2. Division (equals war)

Jesus overall teaching is based on Unity even though he was said to have brought division (trials and tribulations of war literally, metaphysically and spiritually) with said teachings. He really did and we can see why.

In order to know which God a heart desires is that which he will serve and indeed have (manifest).

For this reason the door will be shut on the ones who serve the God of division. Their heart will be the evidence of such.

An intent of manifesting division is opposite of Jesus. The door closes and the soul will have to learn how to create unity until he manifests such. If it takes him eons, so be it.

Just an opinion.... ;-)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by generik

Just think for a moment what that might mean. If Jesus was married then he might have had kids. If he had kids,then there are relatives of Jesus living on the earth at this very moment. That kind of changes things doesnt it ? Would those children be devine like their father ? Would they be the grandchildren of God if Jesus is the son of God ? Would they be more in favor with God than the rest of us?

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by lucidclouds

I dont think its in the bible means it doesnt say that.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

But it would have been a law that he would have been forced to obey.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

Where does it say that? If you asked the Jews, they would have told you that healing sick people on the Sabbath was against the law too. In fact, they gave Jesus grief over it, but Jesus gave them a scolding in return.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLonewolf
Just read the article and it's riddled with "he believes, he thinks and he say's" Just because someone thinks, says or believes something does not make them an expert..How do we know this guy isn't a ignorant, narrow minded bible thumper? So i just looked this guy up and guess what? He is a bible banger..Go figure, he would dispute this]

Yeah, I read it too, and it is clear that author is no "expert." When I say "I think," or "I believe," I mean I think that and believe that, I do not mean it is an established fact.
There seem to be a lot of "Christian Experts" on Ancient History of late, just trying to prove their book is still tangible and somewhat correct, according to current belief and trends. I dare say the fragments will prove themselves, and lay this matter to rest, whether the religious crow like it or not.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Why would Jesus be invited to his own wedding?

Marriages were arranged in those days, it was not anything like the customs of today. Remember, the Jesus story is only found in the NT, and it's authorship is quite dubious. So in effect, that is not a man or woman alive that know exactly what went on that day in Cana, and anyone who does say he/she "knows" is only fooling themselves.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Hosea 2:16 (KJ21)

16 “And it shall be at that day,” saith the Lord, “that thou shalt call Me ‘Ishi’ [that is, My husband], and shalt call Me no more ‘Baali’ [that is, My Lord].

edit on 22-9-2012 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ironclad

Just read the article and it's riddled with "he believes, he thinks and he say's" Just because someone thinks, says or believes something does not make them an expert..How do we know this guy isn't a ignorant, narrow minded bible thumper? So i just looked this guy up and guess what? He is a bible banger..Go figure, he would dispute this
edit on 21-9-2012 by TheLonewolf because: (no reason given)

You don't.

What is he a proffessor of? What affilliation dose this university have with the church?

For all we know he's got a degree in bible studies from one of those Creationist christian universities, which really accounts for nothing in the way of expertise...lol

As I posted in reply to TheLoneWolf, the actual expert (who did not write the Guardian article, lol,) has a Master's and Doctorate from Oxford, and lectures at Dunham University in the UK, a "World Top 100 University," which has no affiliation with any church.

In other words, your claims are biased, uneducated and untrue.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057
reply to post by AngryCymraeg

Being of the Jewish faith Jesus would have had to have had a wife. It was required by doctrine. He was a man of faith, he would have obeyed the laws of his religion.

You think that being Jewish meant that you had to be married? That defies logic -- unless the population was perfectly divided 50/50 male/female, there would always be people who weren't married, for lack of a potential mate, if nothing else.

But perhaps you mean that Rabbis were required to be married, which is true, but only applied to Rabbis who were leaders of synagogues, not itinerate Rabbis, which Jesus clearly was. As a traveling teacher, Jesus was not required to be married.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

Just read the article and it's riddled with "he believes, he thinks and he say's" Just because someone thinks, says or believes something does not make them an expert..How do we know this guy isn't a ignorant, narrow minded bible thumper? So i just looked this guy up and guess what? He is a bible banger..Go figure, he would dispute this]

Yeah, I read it too, and it is clear that author is no "expert." When I say "I think," or "I believe," I mean I think that and believe that, I do not mean it is an established fact.
There seem to be a lot of "Christian Experts" on Ancient History of late, just trying to prove their book is still tangible and somewhat correct, according to current belief and trends. I dare say the fragments will prove themselves, and lay this matter to rest, whether the religious crow like it or not.

If someone with a Master's and Doctorate from Oxford, whose academic focus is on early Christian literature, and who lectures at a "World's Top 100 University" isn't qualified to be an expert in your world, who the heck would be?

Well, apart from you, of course

For pete's sakes, stop letting your biases get the best of you -- the original article, which I posted because this is the "Breaking Alternative News" forum, is written by a journalist, and they are required to be impartial, hence the non-conclusive nature of the writing. But go read the original article (posted several times in this thread) and you will see that he is making a concrete assertion that this is a fraud, with clear and concise points as to why.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

But perhaps you mean that Rabbis were required to be married, which is true, but only applied to Rabbis who were leaders of synagogues, not itinerate Rabbis, which Jesus clearly was. As a traveling teacher, Jesus was not required to be married.

Just to expand on this, Jesus was against anyone having titles...

Matthew 23:8-12

8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.

9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.

11 But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.

12 And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined

Originally posted by adjensen

Just to expand on this, Jesus was against anyone having titles...

Matthew 23:8-12

8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.

9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.

11 But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.

12 And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.

Above is why I do NOT hold any religion to my heart.

Jesus didnt preach division at all.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Marriage is one of the most important Jewish acts because it fulfills a command by God in Genesis "to bear fruit and multiply." Marriage is regarded as the cornerstone of both family and community life. Celibacy is considered unnatural..
factsanddetails.com...

In Judaism, marriage is viewed as a contractual bond commanded by God in which a man and a woman come together to create a relationship in which God is directly involved.[Deut. 24:1] Though procreation is not the sole purpose, a Jewish marriage is also expected to fulfill the commandment to have children.[Gen. 1:28] The main focus centers around the relationship between the husband and wife. On the spiritual level, marriage is understood to mean that the husband and wife are merging into a single soul. This is why a man is considered "incomplete" if he is not married, as his soul is only one part of a larger whole that remains to be unified
en.wikipedia.org...

Now that we've established that marriage and reproduction is required by Jewish law, lets look at the customs of marriage, in those days.

The bride anticipated the return of the groom, the exact time of which she did not know, and which could occur at any time. Her experience during this time must have included some doubt and anxiety that the groom might not return for her.

The bride would ensure every night before retiring that she had an oil lamp prepared, in case her groom returned for her at night (cf. the Parable of the Ten Virgins, Matt. 25). Since grooms often returned at midnight to surprise the bride, and since the journey back to the nuptial chambers through the dark streets of a Israelite village could be hazardous, the bride would continually have an oil lamp ready, in preparation for the return of the groom.
ldolphin.org...

This ritual is steeped in Jewish symbolism. Jesus didn't originate this metaphor. It is part of Jewish law and tradition. It has to do with the "rapture of the heart" and quickening and the union of body and soul. As above, so below.

Jesus was explaining how ritual imitates a divine way, set by the law, for the benefit of the people's well being, ie: salvation.

Does this mean that Jesus is going to come with and entourage to surprise and literally sweep his bride, the body of his followers, off their feet and into ceremony, some 2000+ years later?

Did Jesus mean that was telling his followers that he was the ultimate bride groom? Jesus never said, I am the bridegroom, and you are my brides. I think his apostles would have balked at such a statement.

Some will take it to mean just that. But as for me, I believe it to be a teaching metaphor relating to the quickening of the spirit into enlightenment, like an expected surprise, to those that are prepared and watching. Jesus gives his insight the understanding of the sacred relationship of the spirit to the body, and spirit to spirit. Not a definition of the role of Jesus, but an example of a method of attaining unity through the Holy Spirit, which is mankind's divine spark.

In my humble opinion.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join