It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gospel of Jesus's Wife is fake, claims expert

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Originally posted by sylent6
Jesus wife is God's organization, his government, his people. People its symbolic.

Yep, people don't seem to understand Jesus constantly called the church his Bride.

Can you please quote where in the Bible Jesus call his "church" his bride?

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

As the church didn't exist until after his ascension, it doesn't say that, though the authors of the epistles and Revelation do use that imagery. What does it mean that the church is the bride of Christ?

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Jesus wife is God's organization, his government, his people. People its symbolic.

Now why is it when something does not jive with what Christians have been saying for centuries- it is always "symbolic"?

That's an awfully convenient crutch don't you think?

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Yep, people don't seem to understand Jesus constantly called the church his Bride.

www.openbible.info...
You know the book says that Jesus will return and marry his bride. The text in question in the op says that the words after bride of Christ are not legible so we wont know what the author meant. Keep in mind that this text is 400 yrs after Jesus walked on earth and much manipulation took place in that 400yr. period.

With that said i believe that no one is truly alive until they experience the bond from a union of a man and a woman. I really don't see the possibility of being perfect without experiencing the reproduction cycle of fellow humans.
edit on 21-9-2012 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Ah! A plug for a TV show. Who would have thought? Not surprised in the least. Hoepfully, it is not a rehash of what has already between discussed in the media. Maybe we can see more about how this historian arrived at her conclusion, and where she found this scrap of paper? Perhaps, some counter research among her peers? Right now all any of us knows is this woman's personal interpretation of the data. That alone should open the gates of skepticism in just about anyone. Just have to wait and see . . .

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Ephesians 5:25-27
25 Husbands, continue loving YOUR wives, just as the Christ also loved the congregation and delivered up himself for it, 26 that he might sanctify it, cleansing it with the bath of water by means of the word, 27 that he might present the congregation to himself in its splendor, not having a spot or a wrinkle or any of such things, but that it should be holy and without blemish.

Revelation 19:9

9 And he tells me: “Write: Happy are those invited*+ to the evening meal of the Lamb’s marriage.”*+ Also, he tells me: “These are the true sayings of God."

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by deadeyedick

reply to post by lucidclouds

Can you please show me in the Bible where Jesus says that the church is his bride.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Originally posted by hawkiye
The kicker is these scriptures which clearly shows he is the groom at the Wedding at Cana

John:2:1
1 On the third day there was a wedding in Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there;
2 and both Jesus and His disciples were invited to the wedding.

Why would Jesus be invited to his own wedding?

Sorry, but it's pretty obvious that Jesus was not the groom at the Wedding at Cana.

The modern translation shows the bias of the writer. Why would the head waiter call him the groom and compliment him on the wine? The custom in those days was the groom was responsible for the wine. Also he was called Rabbi and one had to be married in those days to be a Rabbi.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I really don't have time to go into the fifth degree with this. I was taught my "own" religious beliefs so I know what it means from head to toe on my "opinion"

But if need to be..here en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 21-9-2012 by sylent6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

So Jesus never referred to the "church" as his wife. But he did say to Peter, on this rock I build my church, supposedly. Although, I highly doubt that is really true, seeing as how he called Peter "Satan" and said that he would deny Jesus 3 times before the cock crowed.

Why would Jesus trust Peter to found his church? Nonsense!

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Really?
Just check out my link it has a few biblical references.
They all speak of a time when Jesus returns to marry his bride.
I think that might be what you are referring to a possible future tense of him marring his bride and not a previous event.
Otherwise you are just being lazy and hardheaded.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   

So Jesus never referred to the "church" as his wife. But he did say to Peter, on this rock I build my church, supposedly. Although, I highly doubt that is really true, seeing as how he called Peter "Satan" and said that he would deny Jesus 3 times before the cock crowed.

Why would Jesus trust Peter to found his church? Nonsense!

Maybe you haven't heard of forgiveness or redemption.
Even satan himself has the opportunity to redeem himself.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

I looked at your link!

The fact is Jesus never referred to the church, or his ministry for that matter, as his "bride." This is something that is brought into Christianity later, by Paul.

Paul contradicts Jesus all over the place, and therefore, can't be trusted.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
just have to love this type of thing. both sides accusing the other side of having an agenda and thus anything they say is obviously untrue. so i guess it just comes down to believe what you want. is it a forgery? at this point who knows. age of the papyrus really doesn't even help as there are seemingly lots of religious forged stuff. like the fact there were probably enough pieces of the cross to be a Forrest.

on the other hand what difference does it really make if Jesus was married or not? it changes nothing from his message from what i can tell. so why all the hard core bickering about it?

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Forgiveness is not forgetfulness. Forgiveness doesn't mean trust. Forgiveness is accepting people for their shortcomings and moving on. Jesus knew Peter was not on the same page as Jesus. It is out of character for him to trust him to carry on his ministry, when he never understood it in the first place.

It was most likely Mary Magdalene that Jesus entrusted with that act, which is why "Satan" "The Church" thinks it is important to minimize her, whore her and silence her.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Its not the church its His heavenly organization,

Revelation 21:2
2 I saw also the holy city,+ New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven+ from God and prepared as a bride+ adorned for her husband.

Revelation 21:9,10

9 And there came one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls which were full of the seven last plagues,+ and he spoke with me and said: “Come here, I will show you the bride, the Lamb’s wife.”+ 10 So he carried me away in [the power of the] spirit to a great and lofty mountain,+ and he showed me the holy city+ Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12
Wow! an expert!! What would we do without experts?

We would ask homeless people on the streets to do carbon14 tests and be experts on cuneiform!

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by lucidclouds

Again, these are not the words of Jesus.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Oh I wasn't thinking, I thought you said where in the Bible. Sorry.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

The kicker is these scriptures which clearly shows he is the groom at the Wedding at Cana

John:2:1
1 On the third day there was a wedding in Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there;
2 and both Jesus and His disciples were invited to the wedding.

Why would Jesus be invited to his own wedding?

Sorry, but it's pretty obvious that Jesus was not the groom at the Wedding at Cana.

The modern translation shows the bias of the writer. Why would the head waiter call him the groom and compliment him on the wine? The custom in those days was the groom was responsible for the wine. Also he was called Rabbi and one had to be married in those days to be a Rabbi.

I don't see where you jump to the conclusion that the head waiter calls him the groom, sorry -- it says "he called the bridegroom and said to him", it doesn't say anything about Jesus. Mary and the Apostles are referenced earlier in the same passage, are they the bridegroom, as well?

Again, Jesus is invited, so he cannot be the groom. Mary says "they have run out of wine", not "we have run out of wine", so she and Jesus are clearly not hosting. And Rabbis who led synagogues were required to be married, but itinerate Rabbis, which Jesus clearly was, had no such requirement.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join