It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive meteor over the UK just now (21/09/12@23:00BST)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Should be on their way to you now mate.

Pretty disappointed I missed it - wouldn't care, was going to do a shift on a pub door tonight but couldn't be arsed, probably would have seen it if I had.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
it looks bloody amazing!

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Images as provided by ATS member Freeborn of tonights meteor:

edit on 21/9/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
i seen that over northeast England going over my house had about 10 pieces of little things surrounding the big bit it was coming from east and going west it looked cool

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Thanks for the pics Freeborn, they are just as good as any other.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Here you go woogleuk...film taken by my son over Birchwood...9 miles outside Manchester

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

I believe that this image:
imageshack.us...

Is a very poor copy of an image from a different event:
neo.ssa.esa.int:8080...

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I can see where you are coming from Phage, but they are two different images, look at the end of the tail, that is where you will see a difference.

EDIT:

I have put the two side by side ( I had to enlarge the NASA one) for comparison, let other people decide, I think they look very similar, but different.

edit on 21/9/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

Thanks angel, with the two threads and different people, want to make sure everyone sees everything, appreciated

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by cranspace

It's a relative term. Meteors enter Earth's upper atmosphere at something like 25,000 mph or more. Orbital debris at about 17,000 mph. So both are very fast but in comparison debris is slow.

That said, it's pretty hard to tell from the video how fast it was moving. That was just my impression. Also, it would be somewhat unusual for orbital debris to travel from east to west, most of it has a west to east direction.

You should check out my post in the other thread about the commentary from Kielder Observatory on twitter. That said, i'm not sure it will provide any clarity on the source.

They remarked that they observed an increase in meteor activity prior to this event and afterwards and that there were two "fireballs".

Kielder is a well regarded observatory and is situated in one of the darkest parts of the country. Given their location and the apparent trajectory, they had a front row seat.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

With all due respect Phage I know the person very well who sent me the photo and she hasn't got a clue what a meteorite is and just happened to take that photo tonight of 'a shooting star'.
She honestly wouldn't know where to start looking for any images etc and she certainly has no intention of 'hoaxing' me or anyone else - she wouldn't understand why anyone would even want to - neither do I.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by citizenx1

I'm getting reports on Facebook of a second, and possibly a third meteor of significant size, anyone else heard this.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk

I'm getting reports on Facebook of a second, and possibly a third meteor of significant size, anyone else heard this.

Judging by what was said by Kielder, i'm inclined to accept that. Difficulty of crowd sourcing this info is people are often unclear as to the time and direction of what they saw so its difficult to be sure.

That said, a number of media outlets seem to be referring to meteors (plural) but i guess we'll need to give it some time for clarification.

Gutted i saw nothing, i'm on the North East coast so had a grandstand seat but the curtains were closed!

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

She honestly wouldn't know where to start looking for any images etc and she certainly has no intention of 'hoaxing' me or anyone else - she wouldn't understand why anyone would even want to - neither do
It happens. In fact, it happened in this thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Seems odd that it would have exactly the same angle as the meteor photographed in 2009.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

She honestly wouldn't know where to start looking for any images etc and she certainly has no intention of 'hoaxing' me or anyone else - she wouldn't understand why anyone would even want to - neither do
It happens. In fact, it happened in this thread:

Seems odd that it would have exactly the same angle as the meteor photographed in 2009.

It isn't just the angle, all of the points of light seem to match exactly. I suspect his friend has just came across a pic which someone has claimed to be from tonights event but actually isn't.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Looking at it like that, yeah, I would have to agree. Still, I very much doubt Freeborn or his friend were trying to fool anyone, he/she must have (as someone said) got it off someone and thought it was the recent one.

Thanks again Phage.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk

Yes...Tris...while he was out...(see other thread) saw a second smaller one for a very short time and disappeared behind a building before he could capture that one.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

I never said anyone here was trying to fool anyone. That particularly beautiful image has been used before though.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Well there's 13 versions of that same image on picfog, so people must be re-tweeting it..

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Again, with all due respect - I know you have gained quite a reputation here on ATS for your debunking of many a claim and for the level of knowledge you have shown - you are quite rightly held in very high esteem.

But I assure you on this occassion there is nothing to your claim or suspicions.

Maybe there are similarites and no I can't go into the technical details and aspects anywhere near as to the same degree that you can but I KNOW that this photo was definately taken tonight of a 'shooting star' - my friends words - which she observed over a town in County Durham, England.
My friends has only recently given birth to her first child and her only concern was that this didn't signify the onset of 'the end of the world' because she has 'heard some rumours about it'.
She barely understands what a meteorite is.

If you think for one minute that I would be a party to any attempt to mislead ATS then to be honest I'm really quite disappointed in you.

edit on 21/9/12 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join