It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteor Over the United Kingdom

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Wonderer2012

I wouldn't have said it was moving slowly (slow for a meteor, yes), by the time I ran to the bottom of the road (100 meters) it was already over the Irish sea.......and it certainly didn't look like stars, stars don't leave a fiery trail behind them.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Hehe...my son..the one who filmed the Warrington footage has just tonight discovered an email from the BBC asking permission to use his film!....He's learnt a lesson tonight...email can be as slow as snail mail if you don't check it!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

That's awesome, congrats to him!

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel
Hehe...my son..the one who filmed the Warrington footage has just tonight discovered an email from the BBC asking permission to use his film!....He's learnt a lesson tonight...email can be as slow as snail mail if you don't check it!

Rainbows
Jane

Good on him, it's good footage btw and no annoying music

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
stars`as 'thank you's' to you both.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Congratulations to your son angelchemuel. I saw his footage a bit earlier on during the news

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by FireballStorm

No, I don't think you did....he only found the mail tonight, I think he has responded and thanked them for their interest but appreciates it's not 'news' now.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
This presentation has a few clips of the event that I haven't seen posted in this thread. Not the best quality footage but worth a look none the less I think.

Another short clip, but better quality.

edit on 23-9-2012 by FireballStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

If it wasn't his footage, it looked very similar! Even my partner thinks so.

Either way, well done to him.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Just came across some breaking news here in Brazil. I'm new here so I can't post new threads and I suppose I don't need a new thread for this anyway. Cutting to the chase;

2 hours ago, reports about a "green fireball" falling from the sky just hit the news here. Lot's of reports are coming from the country's Northeast. I'm liking a news article h ere.

This is a map with the region where pepople saw the allegedly meteorite;

MAP

A little translation now;

People saw a green fireball falling slowly from the sky. According to the article, the witness says it caused a huge flash in the sky and the object appeared to be big.

Astronomers from national agencies says no meteor or any "traceable" object was reported by any instruments, so, at least for now, the official theory is an exotic optical illusion in the clouds.

There are other reports (from people more close to the sea) in this article here

According to this one the massive sighting was also followed by a huge boom and some of the witness say they saw the allegedly meteorite falling into the the ocean.

I'm going to keep looking for more news. Any doubts about the Portuguese texts just ask me. And sorry about any grammar mistakes here.

edit on 23-9-2012 by theiceone because: *photo

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Just following with some more news.

Looks like there was some sighting yesterday also. And the astronomers are now fighting over this. Some are saying it was indeed a meteor and others just an optical illusion.

New link here

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by theiceone

Thank you for adding this, these story are very interesting!

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage

Originally posted by maryhinge
I woke up early 4am of wed 19th and on 20th around same time and i saw
a very bright object which seamed to wobble, At first i thought ufo,
But i remembered hearing about a comet coming nearby,
Im in chester and i got out my compass and it was in the east,
I dont know if it was coming from the east to west or west to east.

I am also very wobbly at 4 am...lol

If you did not already know Comets do not move quickly across the sky.

LOL i thought of that
made me laugh just when i needed it
a big thanks

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

I woke up early 4am of wed 19th and on 20th around same time and i saw
a very bright object which seamed to wobble, At first i thought ufo,
But i remembered hearing about a comet coming nearby,
Im in chester and i got out my compass and it was in the east,
I dont know if it was coming from the east to west or west to east.

I am also very wobbly at 4 am...lol

If you did not already know Comets do not move quickly across the sky.

LOL i thought of that
made me laugh just when i needed it
a big thanks

No problem and I hope you didn't take offense. When we are tired or just waking up, stars, and bright planets like Venus or Jupiter will look like they wobble (move side to side) because of the tendency of our eyes to track moving objects. Same can happen with planes and in this case either or meteorite or space debris. And some people think that comets move very fast across the sky (a very common misconception from where I have no idea google it lol) but although they are moving relatively fast (out in space) they appear static or imperceptibly moving in our sky. I think often a meteorite is mistaken for a comet.

Although meteorites typically move quickly across the sky, if they are at the right angle they can skip across our atmosphere for several minutes! I wish I could have seen this! AMAZING!

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Hello everyone.
Long time lurker here but I had to post for the first time after reading this thread because I too saw it. A couple of nights back my partner and I were walking back from an Italian restraunt after a nice meal. I'm from Dublin and the buses finish quite early here so we left early enough to be sure to get a bus home. As we were standing at the bus stop I commented on how clear the sky was. You rarely see the stars here in Dublin because of the clouds and pollution.

With that my partner looked up to see the stars and as we were both gazing something (that's all I can name it) slowly moved across the sky. It was extremely bright and loked very far away but was still huge. It moved across the whole sky relatively slowly. We both looked at each other and our jaws dropped. I just said, what the # is that and my partner ignored me and continued to stare at it. THere were like smaller particles following it, like pieces that had broken away. By the time either one of us thought to take out our iPhones to record it it had passed, it was just amazing. Never seen anything like it.

I only logged on here today when this thread caught my attention and I thought, surely that can't be the same thing that we saw but as it turns out it's the exact same thing. Seen all the way from the UK here to Ireland!
edit on 24-9-2012 by EnlightenedSeeker because: spelling errors

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
How annoying, I missed it!

However, how exciting it would be if it wasn't just simple meteorites, but something much more exotic and exciting!

i.e. Something of extraterrestrial origins... dun, dun, duuuun.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
BTW, angelchemuel, great footage!

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

I think often a meteorite is mistaken for a comet.

I think you mean "a meteor is mistaken for a comet"! A meteorite is a meteoroid that has made it through the atmosphere and is found on the ground.

You are right that meteors are misidentified as comets sometimes, although it's more common in my experience that they are mistaken for planes (on fire/in the process of crashing), or fireworks.

Although meteorites typically move quickly across the sky, if they are at the right angle they can skip across our atmosphere for several minutes!

"Several minutes" is a bit of an exaggeration. The slowest moving earthgrazing meteors won't be visible for more that around a minute in the most extreme cases. There has certainly never been a confirmed case where a meteor has been visible for multiple minutes. If I recall, the record is 72 seconds, and is held by the Peekskill meteorite/fireball.

A man-made reentry however can be visible for multiple minutes, since objects in orbit are slower moving than natural meteoroids.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenedSeeker
Seen all the way from the UK here to Ireland!

Actually there are also reports of this event from as far a field as Holland.

lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.jp...

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomoSapiensSapiens
However, how exciting it would be if it wasn't just simple meteorites, but something much more exotic and exciting!

i.e. Something of extraterrestrial origins... dun, dun, duuuun.

A meteorite by definition is something of extraterrestrial origin is it not?!

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join