It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama Falsely Claims Fast and Furious Begun Under Bush

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

"I think it's important for us to understand that the Fast and Furious program was a field-initiated program begun under the previous administration," the president said. "When Eric Holder found out about it, he discontinued it. We assigned a inspector general to do a thorough report that was just issued, confirming that in fact Eric Holder did not know about this, that he took prompt action and the people who did initiate this were held accountable."

Hopefully I'm doing this right. I did a search and didn't see this yet. I'm a registered independent and just found myself screaming at the computer "How stupid does he really think we are???". The answer, of course, is he thinks we're all idiots. I'm pretty sure that when I first came across the article the "falsely" wasn't in there. Kudos to Trapper for actually doing some fact-checking.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Mountainmeg

Partially true.

en.wikipedia.org...

The first known ATF "gunwalking" operation to Mexican drug cartels, named Operation Wide Receiver, began in early 2006 and ran into late 2007.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Yea well, that OP did start under Bush as OP Gunrunner. So in part he's correct. I haven't the slightest idea when it turned into Fast and Furious.

Hopefully others cam shine some light on this

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by cenpuppie

The answer is below.

On October 26, 2009, a teleconference was held at the Department of Justice in Washington, D.C. to discuss U.S. strategy for combating Mexican drug cartels. Participating in the meeting were Deputy Attorney General David W. Ogden, Assistant Attorney General Lanny A. Breuer, ATF Director Kenneth E. Melson, Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) Administrator Michele Leonhart, Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation Robert Mueller and the top federal prosecutors in the Southwestern border states. They decided on a strategy to identify and eliminate entire arms trafficking networks rather than low-level buyers.[3][33][34] Those at the meeting did not suggest using the "gunwalking" tactic, but ATF supervisors would soon use it in an attempt to achieve the desired goals.[35] The effort, beginning in November, would come to be called Operation Fast and Furious for the successful film franchise, because some of the suspects under investigation operated out of an auto repair store and street raced.[3]

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Falsely claims is right:

Operation wide receiver did begin under bush but was ended under bush when it was found out to be a total and utter failure.

Fast and Furious was created under the current adminstration by the people who knew it was a failure with the end goal of even if it went wrong Bush would get blamed.

Who do they think they are kidding?

Obama and holder ie the current administration owns Fast and Furious hence the name, and the name was taken from the movie

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
The Obama administration fall back, "blame it on Bush!". They don't seem to realize their ineptness is showing. Wide receiver also was in joint cooperation with Mexican authorities. SO what exactly are the parameters of what is Obama"s

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Bush declared it too risky and it was shelved. Kinda like The Death Book. Bush said: Get rid of that thing!. Obama saw it and is using it for Obamacare. It would seem anything Bush threw out Obama thinks is a good idea.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
A turd by any other name is still a turd.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
*Fast and Furious" did not start under the Bush Administration. Operation Wide Receiver a similar, much smaller, test program did happen in 2006 under Bush. But the Fast and Furious operation, which involved thousands of guns and the death of a border agent, started under Obama & Holder. Gee, you think OWR was shelved because, maybe it didn't work?

Interesting that F&F started after Obama and Secretary of State Clinton announced that over 90% of guns used to commit crime came from the US. If you can make it true, good way to get gun control in the back door.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by hangedman13

OT - Love your avatar - just ordered the Cthulhu 2012 bumper sticker for my car.

Thanks for pointing out the other difference between F&F and OWR - F&F happened without the knowledge of the Mexican government.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Ahh. I knew Bush did pretty much the same thing i thought it got rolled over into Fast and Furious when Obama took office.

2nd line.

top topics

join