It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a dream...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
...of unity, peace and tolerance.

A dream where Earth is not a theater for violence, hate or prejudice, but the home to all mankind. An Earth where nature is protected, and life valued. An Earth where a human life is no less valuable than the ambitions, hopes and potential it might aspire to.

This dream does not fall on it's back because of the size and magnitude of these goals. Greatness and ambition inspire us. Even time itself can only travel forward.

It was the ability to look at the sky that made us realize the World is a sphere and that Earth is not the center of the Universe. It was the desire and curiosity that allowed us to spend time observing, questioning and elaborating on what was that tiny light on the night sky.

It was that same observation, the questions that followed and the conclusions that we made that forced our minds expand. From having an understanding of time and hours, to the realization of space exploration, it was curiosity, observation and intellectual effort that made us better, faster, smarter.

Conflict, war, pain and suffering are not events and feelings that are wrong because of their consequences and implications. They are wrong because they are unnecessary, futile and irrelevant.

There is no need in hurting a fellow human being.
It's futile to consider our conflicts as important when our loudest words are whispers in comparison to the magnitude of universal events.
It's irrelevant to fight for water, food, shelter and resources, when universal nature can provide safety and care for all of us.

We are limited by our faults and errors, not by our desires and dreams. Fighting and arguing with each-other over land is counter-productive, and revenge only puts more pain and suffering on our back.

We take minerals from the earth to make projectiles and bombs that we throw at each-other, instead of using them to make stairs that takes us higher into the future.

We teach our children that courage, bravery and responsibility are the values that any Man must admire and seek. Yet, we are also the first ones to teach them about our hatred, fears and weaknesses.

I have a dream, where every parent will look into his children eyes and gain the courage to tell them: "do not raise your hand over someone's face for aggression, but raise your knees against injustice. Do not allow others to be harmed, because your protection of a few, might save you in the future from the aggression of many. Do not tolerate rage and intolerance towards the weak and fragile. Do not allow ignorance to shape your judgment. Feel compassion instead of intolerance, teach instead of insulting.".

When teaching is your worst weapon in debate, and curiosity composes your eyes, the World becomes a never ending feeder of beauty. Differences among different people are not feared, for they show the true extent of nature cleverness. Opinions, points of view and ideas are not offenses nor weights to carry, but possibilities and fertile ground for growth and exploration.

Exploration of Earth, and exploration of our souls.

Humanity has jumped higher with the words "you can achieve anything" than with the words "you can't do that".

I have a dream, where mistakes and errors aren't justification for aggressive punishment, or a path that leads to hate and intolerance.

We are all wrong, and we are all right.

We all make mistakes, we have all fallen down.

I have a dream where compassion is the first impulse that mankind feels when it witnesses pain. A dream where people throw their arms forward to hold others to help them back on their feet, and not to punch them down.

I have a dream where youth wants to eat knowledge and not futile greed. A youth that seeks knowledge, wants to learn and move forward. A youth that acknowledges that the mistakes of the past do not need to be repeated. A youth that knows that they are not bound by what their fathers have done, and a youth that does not allow restrains on their dreams.

I have a dream where the elderly do not pass judgment on the youth. A dream where the experienced and the visionary people do not influence negative feelings and attitudes, but teaches the need to pursue happiness, at all cost, for everyone without exception.

I have a dream where quotes, books and words from past heroes are inspirational and free, shaping us into putting forward those ideas of tolerance, peace and love. A dream in which the world does not fear the use of knowledge to defend itself from tyranny.

I have a dream, that was inspired by the great minds and souls of our species, and not by the weak and hurtful hearts of small people.

"(...) you the people have the power, the power to create machines, the power to create happiness. You the people have the power to make life free and beautiful, to make this life a wonderful adventure.

Let us fight for a new world, a decent world that will give men a chance to work, that will give youth the future and old age a security. By the promise of these things, brutes have risen to power, but they lie. They do not fulfil their promise, they never will.

Dictators free themselves but they enslave the people!

Now let us fight to fulfil that promise! Let us fight to free the world, to do away with national barriers, do away with greed, with hate and intolerance...

Let us fight for a world of reason, a world where science and progress will lead to all men's happiness.

Soldiers - in the name of democracy, let us all unite!

(...)

Look up! Look up! The clouds are lifting - the sun is breaking through.

We are coming out of the darkness into the light. We are coming into a new world. A kind new world where men will rise above their hate and brutality.

The soul of man has been given wings - and at last he is beginning to fly. He is flying into the rainbow - into the light of hope - into the future, that glorious future that belongs to you, to me and to all of us. Look up."

Adenoid Hynkel (Charles Chaplin) - The Great Dictator (1940)

Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal.

Martin Luther King Jr.

Peace is it's own reward.

Mahatma Ghandi

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

Jimy Hendrix

...I have a dream, that I thought was worth sharing,
Garrus.
edit on 21-9-2012 by GarrusVasNormandy because: corrected quote

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
My dream is to see humanity's population reduced to a few million.

Is that so wrong?

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
My dream is to see humanity's population reduced to a few million.

Is that so wrong?

No.

But maybe you can teach the rest of us how to achieve that by starting with yourself?

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by GarrusVasNormandy

You show me the way.

I wish I had a dollar for every time somebody said that about population control.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
reply to post by GarrusVasNormandy

You show me the way.

I wish I had a dollar for every time somebody said that about population control.

Where does it say anything related to population control?...

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Can I ask why it is you think this way? I'm not going to say you're wrong or right in the idea, just curious to know why you think depopulation is the answer to world peace.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

Can I ask why it is you think this way? I'm not going to say you're wrong or right in the idea, just curious to know why you think depopulation is the answer to world peace.

I personally believe that high population, especially in crowded areas, increases stressful situations. That's why we are seeing increased crime rates, and other things happening in the world.

I'm not saying it will completely solve these problems, but with less competition and more resources, it will reduce things like crime.

I also believe that all resources this earth has to offer are finite. Such as oil. When the resources run out people will starve and that will create other problems down the road.

And that's one of the big problems with society, it its too invested in the now, and things aren't a problem until it's a problem.

There are several academic and scientific studies on this as well. Here are a couple to look at:

ann.sagepub.com...

epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu...

new topics

top topics

join