It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libyans hold giant march against militias!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Hi.

This really surprised me I guess actions speak louder than words.

bigstory.ap.org...

BENGHAZI, Libya (AP) — Around 30,000 Libyans marched through the eastern city of Benghazi on Friday in an unprecedented protest to demand the disbanding of powerful militias in the wake of last week's attack that killed the U.S. ambassador and three other Americans.

The giant crowd poured into a square in front of the main camp of Ansar al-Shariah in the city, unfurling a long Libyan flag and chanting, "With our lives and souls, we redeem you, Benghazi." Military helicopters and fighter jets flew overhead, and police mingled in the crowd.

"No, no, to militias," the giant crowd chanted as it marched along a lake in the center of Benghazi, filling a broad boulevard. They carried banners and signs demanding that militias disband and that the government build up police to take their place in keeping security. "Benghazi is in a trap," signs read. "Where is the army, where is the police?" Other signs mourned the killing of U.S. Amb. Chris Stevens, reading, "The ambassador was Libya's friend" and "Libya lost a friend."

I guess I knew in my heart that not all muslims or people in the middle east are crazy terrorists but when that's all you hear and see it's easy to forget.

Maybe this will catch hold and more people will stand up against the crazies. We can always hope.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

Thanks for posting this article :up

So often on ATS it's the most negative or most stereotyping thread content that gets the stars. For many months, I've been groaning and cussing at the low bars being set by some minority of members who love stirring up hatred and division. They often portray Muslims as a single organism with one mind, one intent and one voice.

It's good to see in this article evidence that the militias and extremists are NOT the majority and do NOT represent the public in Libya...or other countries.

The attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, in which at least one militia is suspected of participating, has sparked a backlash among many Libyans against the multiple armed factions that have run rampant for months in cities around the country. The militias have become more powerful than the regular security forces, and successive governments since last year's fall of Moammar Gadhafi have been unable to rein them in.

The militias, which are the legacy of the "revolutionary brigades" that fought Gadhafi in the civil war, have taken on roles as security, guarding state facilities and neighborhoods, but they also are accused of acting like gangs, detaining people, intimidating critics and clashing in the streets.

Back in the Troubles in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, the militias were often hated by normal people who had to live in terror of summary justice. The same could be said for those in Brazil and Central America.

People are people the world over and very few want armed extremists and thugs dictating their lives at the end of a gun.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
S/F and thanks for bringing this one.

The Libyans are an odd bunch...having been so cut off for decades as they've been. Yet, he still educated his population and they had a good standard of living as I understand it in hindsight. An odd combination that makes compared to..say...North Korea or even Cuba.

So..I'll sure look at this with an open mind and some hope because they are a people we can't entirely read and Gadaffi himself was about as anti-Al Qaeda as they come...it's what started all the fighting inside Libya to begin with, after all. Just MAYBE....seeing the actions.....we can hope the Libyan people really are the exception to the rule in that region and will stand publicly to rid their own cities of this garbage before it consumes them.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I just hope the opinion of these protestors is the majority belief of all Libyians and not just a small group.

Most of us here on ATS dont want foreign intervention, but the media in the US tries to convince the population that an attack is justified for whatever reason to garner support. The same is happening in that country and it is brainwashing their population.

So again, it is probably a minorty belief that those protestors have, but its the right one. I just hope it catches on.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Thanks for the post, calvaryscout.

Would have missed it. Never imagined that there were still true muslims brave enough to stand up to the slaughter of innocents by radical militants whom had misused the name of Islam. There seems to be hope for mankind after all....

May Prophet Muhammad intercede on behalf of those true muslims, to our common Creator, known in many names across time and space, to forgive them and give them bountiful blessings. The punishment of evil deeds by the few needs not be visited upon the many ...

edit on 21-9-2012 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join