It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious tolerance trumps freedom of speech. The death of the 1st Amendment.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Pakistan is the most populous muslim country in the world. It also has nukes and is always on the verge of being taken over by muslim extremists.

I'd say Obama and Hillary did exactly the right thing, definitely the prudent thing, though it may sound strange to us. But if they didn't do it and muslims took over and nuked us then it would be too late wouldn't it?

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by icepack
reply to post by beezzer

you reckon the video was just a opinion ? are you naive ?

Actually from what I watched it was spot on - it portrayed Mohamed as a pedophile, womanizer who started his career as a raider and thief. It could be argued he "received" and then used "divine" guidance to justify his actions so his followers wouldn't begin to question his authority and lose his position as leader.

One of the funniest parts of the film is when he says he wants some other dudes wife and one of this followers challenges it and he replies with whatever the Prophet wants he gets - the rules are for the little people. Pretty close to what the Koran says on the subject.

So no its not opinion it’s a spoof that makes the prophet appear to be a pedophile, who uses his "secret" talks with Allah to change the Torah and Old Testament into something more to his liking - thus justifying his actions.

It goes heavy on the "join us or die" meme which is true and says that the Muslims can rape all the infidel captives (male and female - adult and child) they want and sell them into slavery take all their stuff and Allah is cool with that.

The Muslims don't like it because it points out Mohamed was also a fag when it suited him as are good number of Muslim men.

Sometimes the truth hurts the most.

Before we head off on the Christians are just as hypocritical meme – I agree I could make a funny spoof of their religion pointing out similar weird crap.

I am an equal opportunity organized religion hater.

Spirituality is fine, believe what you want but if you need a prophet or a priest or a bureaucratic organization to tell you what to think and how to interpret your scripture you are indeed a sheep in need of a Sheppard. I will form my own opinions on what I read. I am a wolf and an Alpha at that.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
The video continues to be on the front page of YouTube, neither Obama nor Clinton have demanded it be removed and no, despite your petty sensationalism no one is assaulting the constitution by condenming the message of the video. If someone were to say killing christians is good and Obama were to condenm that statement you wouldn't say it is a violation of free speech.

Moreover, although your mind is wired to thinking on a small scale, looking internally, it is important to understand that diplomacy and international relations are a complex and delicate business and although the statements made by Obama will do little to quell the violence it is important that they extend the message to the political elite and leaders of the country so that relations which are already tense don't become worse.

I don't like the guy and disagree with his policies but I don't let my blind hatred turn me into a propagandist.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Halleluiah. I don't think it is dead. Freedom of speech was intended to allow people a voice to defend themselves and never be shut down but it was not intended as an outlet or vehicle to inspire hatred or start a war. You are not allowed to yell fire in a crowded theater. No one gave you rights protecting that kind of speech.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
The Innocence of Christians is going to come out soon and I think it has more than it's fair share of pedophilia and incest, fathers with daughters and mothers with sons. They mention the inquisition the crusades and the witch burning....then it brings us up to modern day with the pedophiles in the Church and the Vatican protections. I hope it is tastefully done or there might be an uprising here in the States. Not that we could ever get as crazy about our faith as those people (sarcasm) but still I wonder if the 1st Amendment is going to protect it?

According to the OP....no.

edit on 22-9-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Until the current adminstration and bill and hilary the usual "progressives" start showing that same religious tolerance to Christians all they are doing is pandering to people that wants us dead.

There are no if ands or buts about that and no amount of "appeasement" or "aploogy" is ever going to change that.

Religious tolerance trumping freedom of speech?

Only if your a muslim if your a christian or jew forget it.

Yeah right. Ask the college students in California you will get a different answer.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by stargatetravels

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone

Except for obama because he must say what I want him to say and if he doesn't I'll just make stuff up about him that isn't true and make a big deal about to score points with my conservative brethren.

Exacrtly, the op's skewed, bigoted, Obama-hating world view is clear for all to see.

Gosh. My having freedom of speech must really irk you folks.

No your freedom of speech isn't what irks people. It's your inability to tell the difference between free speech and hate speech is what irks people.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

As a conservative, just about everything I say could be construed as "hate speech".

It's all subjective. To differentiate, is to inhibit.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by icepack
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

the freedom of speech ends, if you insult or discriminate. this freedom of speech is limited like all other freedoms are.

Yet ManBehindTheMask might feel insulted by your reply.

So no. Freedom of speech does not end. Insults, discriminations are interpretive. If we start banning speech based on that, we'll become a silent nation.

Tell that to people who have been sued for slander and liable.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   

As a conservative, just about everything I say could be construed as "hate speech".

Go learn the difference. Because right now your just showing your ignorance.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

Originally posted by Marid Audran
Blaming the youtube video is arrogant and condescending - it implies that Muslims are incapable of controlling themselves.
Condescending or not, it appears to be true. They murder people at the drop of a hat. I need to run the numbers, but I think only abortion doctors murder more innocent people than do muslims.
edit on 21-9-2012 by DarthMuerte because: (no reason given)

Abortion doctors, the state of Texas' "justice" system ( L O L ! ), our predator drone strikes, idiots with guns, the list goes on and on...

The middle east is a very unstable region, this does not mean that the people living there are any less human than us living in the west. Bigotry is a bad trait, maybe work on being more tolerant towards people and cultures you don't fully understand.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Most human religons are from my point of view flawed inefficient spiritual knowledge because they are so caught up in duality. You are using old maps to get to a location where god has installed a fully functional GPS system that tells you exactly where to go and with a higher precision than ever before.

Religious tolerance where you cannot question human created conditioning dogma is against evloving your soul/spirit and counter productive to humaneties evolution to become as ONE with god. It is only by questioning and understanding that higher understanding occur.

So the first amendment should stay. Anything else is in fact against the will of god that exists behind all manmade religions that can see thru any deception humans/self deceptions that humans create.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

Go learn the difference. Because right now your just showing your ignorance.

And you're showing your arrogance by limiting speech you don't approve of.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Just my opinion...

It was a youtube video made by some random dude.

How many insulting videos are there on YouTube? MANY! Depending on tolerance for ignorance there are indeed many no matter how you look at it.

Yesterday when I was standing in line to get gas there was an African American in front of me in line with a T-shirt on that spoke highly of "The blacker the college, the more Knowledge" and named all the black universities in the US. I thought to myself, what If I was wearing one that spoke of white Universities? Would that also be ok to walk around in or would someone be offended? And then I asked myself would I ever wear such a shirt that promotes loudly a certain division?

Whether religious or not, there are always going to be people who seek to divide with their words and actions than to unite.

A religious doctrine is only one factor that creates hate and division. For many, its personal and I get that, however the video in question is one opinion and doesn't represent the all of the US. Anyone with a little intellect would know this.

I think it goes much deeper than this video though and could find evidence to support such a claim.

The Christian believes the end times prophecy is upon us and so does the Muslim. It seems they are both ready for a holy war in hopes their messiah or prophet comes back to earth to "save" them.

Neither are truly guided by unity, this is evident.

The President of the Countries where the riots are happening because of a stupid video should have set their people straight. I have no idea why we are trying to console them. They have a leader.

I just think its all stupid. Put ya big girl or boy panties on and get over it already!

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I had a big argument with my father (a conservative) recently. It centered around Christianity and perceived slights to it. My point was that the catholic church's claim to their "religious freedom" to deny women healthcare services related to birth control was trumped by the women's right to make their own health decisions. Of course he argued the opposite, and in essence his idea was that we all must be tolerant of the religion of others. My argument was that I have NO duty to be tolerant of the religion of others. I told him that if he were a scientologist, I would have no tolerance for that.

This thread is a hit piece on Obama that is childish and silly. The video in no way portrayed America as "apologists for Islam," but instead portrayed us as thoughtful and respectful. But, that being said, I agree in principle with conservatives that we have absolutely no need to tolerate anyone's religion. But I also think that conservative should choose not to be hypocrites and not demand that others tolerate THEIR religion.
edit on 22-9-2012 by Grumble because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Golf66

Before we head off on the Christians are just as hypocritical meme – I agree I could make a funny spoof of their religion pointing out similar weird crap.

Monty Python pretty much beat you to that punch.
They repeatly made fun of Christians.

Too bad they are no longer a troupe, I wonder if they would make fun of Islam as well nowadays.

Probably not, since most people with common sense prefer to live their lives.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
i cant to seem get the link to work, any suggestions?

interested

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

To have another country dictate to us our own freedoms is appaling!

How about when we decide freedom for other countries? Is that OK?

How many have we occupied now?

Should our invasions not bother the invaded?

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Religious tolerance? Trumps freedom of speech?

Freedom of Speech: but, for good - or ill?

It is hate speech. It is no different from the anti-Semitic garbage that has been all too common in Western Christian history. It is sub-Christian - beneath the dignity of anyone with a functioning moral compass.

Islamophobic evangelical Christians - and the neo-conservative Catholics and even some Jewish folks who are their unlikely political bedfellows of late - must choose.

Will they press on in their current path, letting Islamophobia spread even further amongst them? Or will they stop, rethink and seek to a more charitable approach to our Muslim neighbors? Will they realize that evangelical religious identity is under assault, not by Shariah law, not by the liberal media, not by secular humanism from the outside, but by forces within the evangelical community that infect that religious identity with hostility?
religion.blogs.cnn.com...

We all have different opinions - about the good and ill parts of it all. But that doesn't really matter - they're opinions. We're all free to have them - all free to express them

Thank goodness

But not everyone does it honorably - or well. That of course is my opinion :-)

This guy...this here is my guy :-)

Pacifists of the world - unite

P.S. though I doubt most will be able to stomach it - it's worth reading the entire piece

Of course - that may just be my opinion

edit on 9/22/2012 by Spiramirabilis because: link

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Linky

The above link (yeah, it's Breitbart, get over it) shows a 30 second commercial currently being shown in Pakistan.

It is Hillary Clinton and Obama decrying the violence and damning the video.

Now there is nothing illegal with what they are doing. But our political "leaders" (in my humble opinion) should be defending the Constitution, The Bill of Rights. Not whining about someones usage of the freedoms that America provides.

It sends a poor message to the world when our political representatives complain about the freedoms that they represent.

It gives me concern abou the future of our freedoms.

Again, just my opinion.

I imagine you (ATS) have your own.

Weren't you the one claiming it comes with responsibility in the Springer thread?
Aren't you contradicting yourself?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join