It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious tolerance trumps freedom of speech. The death of the 1st Amendment.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Linky

The above link (yeah, it's Breitbart, get over it) shows a 30 second commercial currently being shown in Pakistan.

It is Hillary Clinton and Obama decrying the violence and damning the video.

Now there is nothing illegal with what they are doing. But our political "leaders" (in my humble opinion) should be defending the Constitution, The Bill of Rights. Not whining about someones usage of the freedoms that America provides.

It sends a poor message to the world when our political representatives complain about the freedoms that they represent.

It gives me concern abou the future of our freedoms.

Again, just my opinion.

I imagine you (ATS) have your own.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

there is a difference between freedom of speech and offensive propaganda with bad intentions.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
You are absolutely right. They aren't even mutually exclusive. Someone should be able to believe what they want, and someone should be able to say what they want about that belief.

Blaming the youtube video is arrogant and condescending - it implies that Muslims are incapable of controlling themselves. Like all wars, this one is a combination of ideological and financial. Some of the higher ups either refuse to believe or refuse to admit that the war has been going on for a while.

@icepack - no, really there isn't.
edit on 21-9-2012 by Marid Audran because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Did you put Carrots in your ears when Obama said,

"There is no justification for this type of senseless violence..None"

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I do not condone the video. I have very little opinion on it.

But to have Obama and Clinton apologising for a video on 'youtube' is just utterly ridiculous. If it was posted by some member of the US military or government , maybe an apology would be fair enough.

But a totally random YOUTUBE video? why the hell are they apologising?

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Marid Audran
Blaming the youtube video is arrogant and condescending - it implies that Muslims are incapable of controlling themselves.
Condescending or not, it appears to be true. They murder people at the drop of a hat. I need to run the numbers, but I think only abortion doctors murder more innocent people than do muslims.
edit on 21-9-2012 by DarthMuerte because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by BritofTexas
reply to post by beezzer

Did you put Carrots in your ears when Obama said,

"There is no justification for this type of senseless violence..None"

Then why whine aout the video which is an expression of someones opinion?

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by icepack

Why doesn't the country take the responsibility to censor it themselves? It's not like their governments don't censor other things. Why do we have to be responsible for the way the video is viewed? Hell, if they don't like it they don't have to watch it, but they do. That is a choice. They chose to watch it and to be offended just like their government CHOSE to let it be aired in their country. If it really incites that much violence and you are that concerned with it. Deny you're own people access to it and stop blaming others for what you allow to occur. Allowing the video to exist in our country is a right granted by our constitution. If you can spout racist things in the name of free speech in this country that don't have to do with the Muslim faith why should you make an exception for them? If they have a problem, let them censor it themselves and get over it. If I have an issue with something I view on the internet. I stop watching it. Personal accountability and responsibility for ones own actions...it's a crazy concept but it works.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by icepack
reply to post by beezzer

there is a difference between freedom of speech and offensive propaganda with bad intentions.

What is the difference?

I may find offensive a poem you write about butterflys and unicorns.

Should you then, be silenced?

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

you reckon the video was just a opinion ? are you naive ?

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I still have yet to meet a Christian OR Muslim who knows any more about their religion than what they are told.
Neither one are really doing anything for humanity at all.
If anyones rights of speech should be taken away, its there's... though I dont believe that..
But who's gonna be able to say anything when people who have no idea of morality are making the decisions.
Selective judgement doesn't count for religious values. And in today's world you can hardly be anything close to what the Bible as a whole , or the Quran as a whole, tries to say is a 'true follower'.
Cognitive dissonance much?

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by GrimReaper86

the video is just the last drop what fills the barrel and lets it spill.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

you reckon the video was just a opinion ? are you naive ?

It was obviously someones opinion. What they created was offensive to muslims.

So was "religisosity" starring Bill Mahr (but he's a liberal)
So is "Zero Dark Thirty" the film about the actions surrounding the death of Osamma Bin Ladin. (but it makes Obama look tough, so it's okay)

link   
reply to post by GrimReaper86

Exactly! We'll never see the Chinese getting all bent about something they saw on American YouTube. Why? Because they censor the "snip" out of everything. YouTube can't censor what might be offensive to too controversial for countries X, Y, ans Z. That would be the job of X, Y and Z.

link   
There's not a damn thing wrong with what Hillary and Obama said. Let's pretend the Ku Klux Klan put out a video talking about the inferiority of black people, saying that black people were stupid animals, making fun of black people,calling them names and presenting stereotypes. Now let's say this makes some black people very mad, so they protest the video, and the protests get violent. And because the KKK used an American flag in the video, Obama speaks out that this video does not represent the U.S. government's views, but regardless, the violent protests of the blacks are uncalled for. Do you see anything wrong with that? Obama never said that a new law will stop this type of video from being made. But, he has every right to denounce it as prejudiced, small-minded and trouble-making.

It was especially important for Obama and Hillary to make very clear that the views in the video were not the views of the U.S. government. It was also important for them to denounce the violence. They did both, and I'm glad they did. They couldn't have handled it better IMHO.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

Pray tell what is the difference?

I may voice a opinion, that you believe to be offensive and possibly nothing more than talking points (Propaganda).

You may even think that my opinion has bad intentions.

Recently, a former Marine vioced his opinions on-line, nothing violent mind you, and was locked up in a Psych ward and his weapons confiscated.

US Citizens First Amendment Rights are slowly but surely under attack. And from what it looks like to me is that our own Government is the one doing the attacking.

Quote by Marcus Tullius -

"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

What they created was offensive to muslims.

imo, what they created was deliberately offensive to muslims. sometimes, i get the feeling, things like this are staged and choreographed.

edit on 21-9-2012 by icepack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Originally posted by beezzer
Then why whine aout the video which is an expression of someones opinion?

Whining about someone's opinion isn't exactly crushing their first amendment right. In fact, whining about it is exercising one's free speech rights! I support Fred Phelps' freedom of speech, but you can bet I'm going to whine about it. Disagreement isn't the same as TRUMPING our freedom of speech.

The video won't play for me but what law has been made to shut people up?

As far as Breitbart? Trust me, I'm over it.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Pray tell what is the difference?

it is the intention. some people should switch on their brain, before they speak. words can be mighty, so they should be chosen carefully.

edit on 21-9-2012 by icepack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack

Then get a bigger barrel or catch the drop before it falls in it.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join