It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military copters all morning and afternoon NYC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Since about 6am this morning I've been seeing military copters heading NW - possibly coming from Long Island? I'm in Brooklyn. Anyone else witness this movement? Any ideas why? Where they came from or where they're heading?

I have to say this is unusual for here.
edit on 21-9-2012 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-9-2012 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I live in eastern pa, surrounded by farms and fields and see military choppers fly over once a week.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by xdlover
I live in eastern pa, surrounded by farms and fields and see military choppers fly over once a week.

Well this is NYC and it's very unusual to see military aircraft except during Fleet Week or some other event. These are big Chinooks and other helicopters. All military and all day now since early this morning.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

NW of Brooklyn is Fort Drum. They are considered to be a Light Infantry Division and as such have a Aviation element asigned there in support.

Don't worry unless you start hearing booms.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Just a little northwest..300 miles northwest

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Haven't seen or heard a thing here in Brooklyn. Just a few weeks ago there were Fighter Jets passing over us. I heard a strange noise, looked out and missed it. Then my mom came home and said she and everyone at the fair they were having in the neighborhood looked up when they heard the noise, everyone went scared sh×t hearing and seeing them. Could be linked.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3litechasr
Just a little northwest..300 miles northwest

300 miles northwest is still northwest ain't it?

The range of a Chinook; 400 nmi (450 mi, 741 km)

The range of a Blackhawk; 1,380 mi[128] (1,200 nmi, 2,220 km) with ESSS stub wings and external tanks

They're well within their limits I would think.
edit on 21-9-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-9-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I would tend to think they would stay away from NYC at all costs for training activities. Onesies, twosies I could buy but not mass amounts of traffic as is being reported here. I wasn't a helo aviator but was a fixed wing flight engineer. We avoid big cities like the plague just due to the sheer volume of commercial traffic. We were always getting pushed around to make way for the commercials.

But who really knows???

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3litechasr
I would tend to think they would stay away from NYC at all costs for training activities. Onesies, twosies I could buy but not mass amounts of traffic as is being reported here. I wasn't a helo aviator but was a fixed wing flight engineer. We avoid big cities like the plague just due to the sheer volume of commercial traffic. We were always getting pushed around to make way for the commercials.

But who really knows???

Yeah my house is in a flight path for landing at Newark and LaGuardia too. These helicopters are crossing that path at a 90. I was at the gym, so haven't noticed if they're still running. They're coming out of the ESE.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Military helicopter pilots still have to visit with the FAA. The easiest way to do that is to land at an airport. They also could be coming out of New Jersey, where there are a couple of bases, and heading back up somewhere further upstate.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Havent seen/heard anything today...im at 14th street.
Two days ago I saw two chinooks over downtown, soon after there were police checkpoints everywhere and a few fdr entrances were closed.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I'm in NY as well. Over in Staten Island today where a few intelligence groups meet up, as well as the other small installations and reserve groups. I've only noticed Army land vehicles driving around. Wasn't around during the morning, though.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I guarantee its a training flight .

They so them daily. Check to see if there's an Army airfield near you.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

I seen 6 airforce copters here in Arkansas and alot of Black umarks flying over live in small town south of malvern have no idea why they are here and why they keep flying around ive never seen so much action around here before but its picked up i also live a block from a train tracks and late night trains with very heavy loads shacks my Rv bad also seen copter fly along side the trains like they was guarding them.

top topics

join