It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World temperatures above average for 330th straight month!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I was going through my email and I was getting ready to click the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of the email. Even though I enjoy reading these I just get too many good emails from good causes, and I feel bad. While I was scrolling to the bottom I saw this picture that caught my attention. I quickly saw the way above and record above temperatures and thought "Wow, you don't have to be a genus to understand those results.

sourece: NOAA

So I ask you since I am no expert, does this seem a little "too hot"? Why is it we continue to break records over and over again in the same locations, and basically everywhere else now too? I remember when I was a kid in the summer it wasn't so hot you couldn't go outside because people were dying, but now they are. I remember on the Weather Channel seeing the colors "white" and "purple" over Arizona and Nevada during the summer months, and sometimes the heat would spread here and there.

August 2012 was the fourth-warmest August globally since 1880 and the 330th consecutive month in which temperatures worldwide were above the 20th-century average, the US National Climatic Data Center said.

The average temperature on land and over the ocean was 61.2 degrees Fahrenheit (16.2 Celsius), 1.1 degree above the century’s average, the agency said today.

“Most areas of the world experienced higher-than-average monthly temperatures, including far northeastern North America, central and Southern Europe, and east-central Asia,” the agency said. “In the Arctic, sea ice extent averaged 1.82 million square miles, resulting in the all-time lowest August sea ice extent on record.”

The last time the global temperature was below the 20th century’s average was February 1985, and the last time there was a cooler-than-average August was 1976, said the agency, part of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. In the Arctic, the six smallest amounts of sea ice have been recorded in the past six years.

Melting in the Arctic is expected to continue through the middle of September.

In the Antarctic, sea ice during August was 1.6 per cent about average, the fourth-most extensive level for the month in the 34 years since records have been kept, the agency said.

source: [url=http://www.theage.com.au/environment/climate-change/world-temperatures-above-average-for-330th-straight-month-20120918-2631t.html]theage.com[/url ]

You know what I think? Our air is getting hotter because the Sun is either getting bigger each day, or it is getting closer each day. And, this is where it we see the fine lines in physics and science that keep our ecosystems running like they should and now they are all being torn apart.

How many people have reported seeing virtually no bugs this year? I don't really hear them at night time anymore the are vague and distant, and they seem to be spread out very far from each other while making their noises at night time.

I believe it is a little bit of both-the Sun and our own contributions. I believe the people of the 70's who started the riff about being green did a good thing, but it was never heard by the right people, or the right people wouldn't accept it probably due to money. The baby-boomers and the Gen-Xers tried but failed. Now everyone is conscience of it but still insists we are doing no damage. I feel ashamed for our society and they way we have behaved. Our ancestors may have left their mark by carving into the ground, or even slightly changing our planet's rotation by building The Great Pyramid, but they didn't destroy the world in which they live within a 200 year industrial period that seems to be a closed loop circuit that will the demise of our greedy actions.

Call me a doom and gloomer, but I think we should all be aware of this for many reasons: better water management, crop preparation, fire preparedness, and property awareness.
edit on 21-9-2012 by samlf3rd because: link not working

edit on 21-9-2012 by samlf3rd because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I don't remember hearing about the 329th month? Did I miss something?

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
of course averages are worked out between 2 points of reference, 1 being the present and the other being as far back as convenient to show a record you would like to show.
warm if you go back and add data from an mini ice age.

I love statistics

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Thanks for the post OP.

When I read the title I was interested mainly because the weather here in England has been frustrating all year.

We've had a particularly cool and wet summer for the most part, with short bursts of hot spells.

I did read that earlier in the summer this was caused by the jet stream moving north to up over Canada, causing the drought in America, and the wet over here in UK.

When i looked at the picture I wasn't expecting for our temperature to be much higher than average, because even though its been a nice-ish week I still had to wear a hoody or else get shivers.

I was however surpised to see just how many places around the globe are above average.

One place that caught my notice is the patch of sea just to the left of Australia. How interesting that the records are so precise and detailed in their specification. To know that patch of sea is hotter fascinates me. I can't help but wonder why.

Rice n peace.
Lag

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66
of course averages are worked out between 2 points of reference, 1 being the present and the other being as far back as convenient to show a record you would like to show.

I love statistics

I don't see how 330 months includes an ice age? That's like 15 years! Oh yes who can forget the Ice Age of '02 it was a deep ice age they say...

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by samlf3rd

27 years of increased temperatures isnt that crazy... Earth has gone through numerous hot and cold periods over time.... And 27 years is too small a sample size when you consider how long Earth has been around... I wouldnt be too concerned about it

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

Sorry but leave the statistical math to the professionals! J/K, but you walked into that one!

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537

27 years of increased temperatures isnt that crazy... Earth has gone through numerous hot and cold periods over time.... And 27 years is too small a sample size when you consider how long Earth has been around... I wouldnt be too concerned about it

Yes me neither, but it's people like you who scare me. "We are gonna be fine...." How can you be so sure? I cooked eggs on asphalt 10 times this year. I have never been able to do that. The weather says it will be 80 it 95, that's a conspiracy. All year long the weather is unpredictable.

I hear you though, but in ten years I bet it will be warmer and there will be people still saying "It's fine Austrailia always burns completely to the ground every thousand year"

"It's a cycle"
Oil is clean...
Umm Nuclear Energy is clean...
With all these trees, they are natural filters...
Greenland always melts
GMO IS good for you
The bees always disappear
Dolphins always beach themsleves
Oil always shoots out of the ocean
The ocean is made up of Plutonium and radiation, Japan was small scale

Okay I'll stop.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

First off, were the eggs any good

And Second, I do believe we (humans) are adding to the record temperatures, but I dont feel that we're the only cause... So many variables come into play today, and there's probably things happening today that scientists dont even understand...

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by samlf3rd
Call me a doom and gloomer, but I think we should all be aware of this for many reasons: better water management, crop preparation, fire preparedness, and property awareness.
edit on 21-9-2012 by samlf3rd because: link not working

edit on 21-9-2012 by samlf3rd because: (no reason given)

This is all controlled spin, don't buy into it.

Meanwhile elsehwere: Antarctic Sea Ice Sets Another Record

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Of course.. that is what happens when you use a cold 30 year period as "normal". Often they cherry pick whatever fits their agenda best. But I agree that Earth has warmed over the last century, but it is still nothing like it was during other warm periods in this interglacial"holocene period".
Here they cherry picked the 60-90 period, which was the coldest period in recent history. If they had used 30-60s instead then current temperatures would be way below normal here during last few years.
It is nothing but a statististical trick...
edit on 21-9-2012 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Stochastic .. let's see ...

Let's say the earth is 4 Billion years old - more or less - and we have accurate climate data for what .. 200 years ?

So the baseline you compare the raised data with is just a meaningless fraction of earths history and they possess the impertinence to claim to see a trend ? Ridiculous.

The chart looks like a 3 year old painted it.

Red = Warm

Blue = Cold

What are we talking about here, 1/100th of a °C ? 1/10th of a °C ?

Looks like the Science right out of the movie "Idiocracy"

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

What is worst is that by looking at tree lines, fauna and ice cores we can see that Earth has been warmer during most of the time.
There was even a time some millions years ago where we had palm trees and tropical life at about 80 degrees north. This has been proven by fossils of animal and fauna life.
This is not explained by continental drift either, as those regions were only a few degrees more south back then.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
The comments about keeping constant reliable data in the past 200 years is true.

Think about this, scientists have found (through tree rings and ice core samples) that earth has done sweeping climate changes many times and will continue to do so. There have been little heat spells and mini ice-ages

Are humans having an impact on Earth...YES and will continue. I just hope we can find a balance so that instead of ending up in a run-away greenhouse or a snowball...
edit on 21-9-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Okay, let's try to make sense of this.

2012-1880 = 132

330/12 = 27.5

132/27.5 = 4.8

100/4.8 = ~21%

So we've been taking temperature records for 132 year. It's been above the average of these 132 years for the last 27.5 of them...consistently and without pause...this is 21% of the total data available.

That's quite significant.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by samlf3rd

Originally posted by munkey66

I love statistics

I don't see how 330 months includes an ice age? That's like 15 years! Oh yes who can forget the Ice Age of '02 it was a deep ice age they say...

Oh I see, you are saying that the statistics are based on only the last 15 years.
poor statistic gathering if that is your argument.
I didnt see a start date on the data to see what the average temperature should be, where is the base data?

Total amount of sunlight between 7PM and 7AM is zero
total amount of sunlight between 7PM and 7PM is 12 hours
there appears to be a spike in the amount of sunlight, run for the hills

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by moniesisfun
Okay, let's try to make sense of this.

2012-1880 = 132

330/12 = 27.5

132/27.5 = 4.8

100/4.8 = ~21%

So we've been taking temperature records for 132 year. It's been above the average of these 132 years for the last 27.5 of them...consistently and without pause...this is 21% of the total data available.

That's quite significant.

Not when your known data set is such a small sample of the total data.

This is akin to counting the change in my pocket and making a judgement on my countries net wealth patterns for the duration of its existence.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

Look, this argument can go on forever.

We have many different ways of assessing the climate fluctuations over large scales. It's just not able to be as precise as giving a yearly actual reading which this data does.

We know there are cycles within cycles.

We also are damned sure that human's are causing unnatural interactions with the recent cycles.

Who is We? Over 97% of climatologists.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Earth Hanging by a Tread!

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Bleeding Earth & Ice from Post Glacial Rebound Effect....Boom! Temperature Way UP!!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join