It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liposomal Vitamin C may cause a misdiagnosis of diabetes or interfere with glucose monitoring

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Don't you find it quite disconcerting that all of the references in that paper are his own?
I certainly do.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I have yet to make my own first batch of Liposomal Vit C, but I intend to.

Firstly, thank you Loam for posting your findings. I find them to be well thought through and informative and I'm sorry to see some misguided antagonism being directed towards you, I suppose it's an occupational hazard posting in a forum like this

For those of you who make your own lipo vit C, I came across this paper on Liposomal Encapsulation which my contain some useful information.

Encapsulating bioactive agents into Liposomes

I became curious as to why everyone is so adamant about using an ultrasonic cleaner to encapsulate the ascorbic acid. I looked for a reasonable explanation but was unable to find one short of "don't let anyone tell you it can be done any other way" with no reason to back it up.

This paper seems to indicate that on the scale of it, the ultrasonic is one of the least efficient methods of encapsulation with a trapping efficiency of between 1-5%; certainly no better than mechanical mixing which has a trapping efficiency of between 1-8.5%

The most compelling findings seem to be using a freeze-thaw method of encapsulation.

More recently, studies have shown the multiple freeze-thaw steps completed directly on MLV dispersions induce a remarkable morphological change in the liposomes and results in a IO-fold or greater increase in the aqueous trapped volumes [89]. Trapping efficiencies as high as 88% for these systems can be achieved by utilizing high lipid concentrations, although entrapped solute/lipid ratios appear to decrease above 100 mg lipid/ml, presumably due to a lack of avail- able aqueous media.

I for one will try mixing a blend of ascorbic acid, non gmo soy lecithin and sodium bicarbinate (to keep the mixture closer to a neutral pH of around 7.3, the natural pH level of blood) using a simple mechanical blender, freezing and thawing. I will be conservative with my dosing considering the potential for higher bioavailability!

As this is the latest thread on the subject I thought it would be better to post here than the other, already overpopulated thread. Hope you find it interesting!

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
On a related note and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the beneficial effect of Vitamin C largely attributed to the transient production of hydrogen peroxide which breaks down free-radicals/tumour cells etc then turns in to water?

That is to say there is no real nutritional benefit whatsoever to hyper-dosing on Vitamin C, it's simply a matter of non toxic 'poisoning', a kind of safe chemotherapy of sorts...

As such long term use doesn't seem like it would be beneficial and there is certainly no indication, that I can see at least, that it would in any way prevent or reverse vascular or heart disease.

The best way to do that preventatively I hazard would still be a balanced, plant strong diet (very low in animal proteins) and safe, structured, regular exercise.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
MORE:

Ok, so apparently this consequence of mega dose Vitamin C is well known.

I found this paper from the BIO-COMMUNICATIONS RESEARCH INSTITUTE on something called the The Riordan IVC Protocol 2009: Intravenous Ascorbate (IVC) as a Chemotherapeutic and Biologic Response Modifier.

It immediately begins with:

Vitamin C can give false readings of high glucose levels. Here's a very interesting article on the relationships between Vitaminc C and Glucose www.naturalnews.com...

Also in this forum they theorise vitamin C can have some limited interactions with glucose levels
www.vitamincfoundation.org...

There is slight interaction with pancreatic beta cells, it seems. It looks like some of the DHAA can enter via GLUT2 receptor into beta cells and thus reduce the concentration of glucose in the cell, which delays insulin secretion (there are other explanations too)

I don't think its a big problem (or problem at all). Vitamin C can probably also reduce absorption of dietary sugar if taken with meal so its a good thing and there are also studies showing protective effect of AA.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 04:17 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Self‐monitoring of blood glucose through diabetes monitor are now commonly used. However, there have been some evidences that some drugs can cause interference in the reading. Diabetes is a common problem these days, thus there are array of medications, treatments, drugs out there claiming the best source. But it's essential for you to take opinion of doctors before using anything.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join