Decision Making: Head or the Heart?

page: 1

join

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Do you listen to your head or your heart when contemplating important decisions? When it comes to making decisions, are these two features of your body one-and-the-same, or are they distinct decision-making factories? I personally believe the latter. If we are to entertain the idea that they are separate, how does one go about deciding which to give credence to when it comes to making the important choices in our lives? Each “factory” has it's own strengths and weaknesses. Each can shine independently or complement the other when utilised properly. Thus, perhaps a balanced approach is best.

The head generally uses logic, reason and objectivity when making decisions. If there is a problem that needs to be dealt with, emotion and sympathy are avoided. The advantages of allowing one's head to make decisions is that the best outcome to address the problem is usually arrived at sooner and emotions do not interfere when searching for a solution. Disadvantages include the fact that relationships will probably suffer and the concept of morality will interfere with the outcome.

The heart generally uses compassion, empathy and subjectivity when making decisions. It creates a more personal relationship between the problem and the people involved. Empathy, sympathy and emotion are considered important factors when addressing a problem and cannot be suppressed. The advantages of utilising one's heart to make decisions is that relationships will probably prosper and the most ethical outcome will prevail. Disadvantages of this approach include the fact that logic and reason will likely suffer at the expense of fairness and equality.

How do you resolve the internal struggle that results from choosing between what is right and what is best? When do you know when to listen to your head and when to listen to your heart?

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Those are great questions and I think everyone will answer differently based on their life experiences. You are right, decisions can be made with the head or the heart and they are completely different things. Me, personally, for most of my life I used my heart to make decisions and it always turned out a big pile of emotional crap in the end. So, now I use my head.....always, regardless of what my heart says.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I have spent the last 40 years problem solving for a living and almost every time i used my heart instead of my head it has turned out bad. The old saying : No good deed goes unpunished is reality.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

I never did understand this "from the heart" concept? I mean...heart is just a pump...it contains and holds no emotions. Emotions are contained within our psyche, and psyche comes from the brain. At least...this is the accepted paradigm i think.

So to answer your question...I decide with my head...sometimes my lower head...sometimes my upper head

edit: my lower head tends to get emotional now and then
edit on 21-9-2012 by MarioOnTheFly because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I think they have to be combined through life.

We've all had to go against out hearts, when another route makes more practicle sense, and we've all ignored practicle sense, to follow our hearts.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by MarioOnTheFly

The heart has a brain. Well, it has functioning brain cells, which were formed before the brains brain cells. You can "move" your thinking to you hearts brain. It only takes a little practice, but you can actually think from thr heart. And it is the best way to make decisions, as the heart will never lie to you. So, think from the heart. it will serve you well.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
Do you listen to your head or your heart when contemplating important decisions? When it comes to making decisions, are these two features of your body one-and-the-same, or are they distinct decision-making factories?

We get this concept of the heart being a part of a person that can think from religions and poetry. Truth is, when you take the heart say from the bible and look at the translations in the original text, they mean mind or brain.

There is no such thing as the "heart" except that the heart is the muscle that pumps blood through your body. There is no heart that you think with. You make all decisions even the ones that involve emotion, with your brain.

In poetry, the idea of the heart is made up to convey the notion of making decisions with emotions and not only with intellectual thinking - but even the religious texts warns against thinking with emotions. Emotions can cloud your judgment. So too can only thinking with intellectual reasoning. The best thinking is done using a balance of the two, thinking with intellectual reasoning and incorporating emotions. Depending on the subject, sometimes the emotional reasoning is more sound and sometimes the intellectual reasoning is more sound.

How do you resolve the internal struggle that results from choosing between what is right and what is best? When do you know when to listen to your head and when to listen to your heart?

As I said, you cannot make that distinction as if they are two different entities, they are not, it's only the one brain or mind. What you mean to ask is which logic should you follow, your emotional logic or your intellectual logic. You have to use each one to guide the other and vice versa. This may require examining the subject many times in different ways before you can reach a conclusion you feel comfortable with - and then, it's still going to be up to scrutiny. You just have to do your best.
edit on 21-9-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: addition

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic

The heart has a brain. Well, it has functioning brain cells, which were formed before the brains brain cells. You can "move" your thinking to you hearts brain. It only takes a little practice, but you can actually think from thr heart. And it is the best way to make decisions, as the heart will never lie to you. So, think from the heart. it will serve you well.

Emotionally, I want to tell you to seek professional help immediately. But I know that would be rude my intellectual side says. So my intellectual side tries again with - Do you have scientific biological and neurological facts to back up your claims? I don't believe there is any scientific basis to believe that your blood pumper if it has any brain cells could be switched to as a mechanism you can think with.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Perhaps I should have made this clearer in the OP: I am aware of the physical functions of the heart and brain, but I am attempting to explore the metaphysical properties of decision-making when comparing the Intellectual (the mind) and the Emotive (the heart).

For those confused, here are some definitions:

A, Heart (physical) - a muscular organ found in all animals with a circulatory system, which pumps blood throughout the blood vessels by repeated, rhythmic contractions.

B. Heart (metaphysical) - a symbol used to refer to the spiritual, emotional, moral core of a human being. Once believed to be the seat of the human soul, the word heart continues to be used poetically to refer to the soul, and stylized depictions of hearts are used as symbols representing love.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

The two need to become integrated. Use your head and see how your heart feels about it....

I think a lot of it boils down to if a person knows the difference between right and wrong....The head and heart must integrate to know what the truth is for them as an individual.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

Originally posted by Acidtastic

Emotionally, I want to tell you to seek professional help immediately. But I know that would be rude my intellectual side says. So my intellectual side tries again with - Do you have scientific biological and neurological facts to back up your claims? I don't believe there is any scientific basis to believe that your blood pumper if it has any brain cells could be switched to as a mechanism you can think with.

There are tons of research data...Ask any biology major. Do your own research, you will be amazed at the discoveries of these brain cells in the heart. There are also many books written about crimes being solved based off of heart transplant recipients. It is amazing. I have to leave otherwise I would post some links...but your smart, Im sure you can find it all yourself...

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

I am attempting to explore the metaphysical properties of decision-making when comparing the Intellectual (the mind) and the Emotive (the heart).

Neither will function unless both are engaged. Balance.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Heart, then head, then heart. I try to make conscious decisions. The heart usually starts the conversation, I look at the consequences of the decision, what is the cost of each side of the choice, what are the benefits, can I accept the cost if it all goes south and will I? Then I close my eyes and leap off that cliff!!
Following your heart is where all the fun is, wrong or right.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I have a good example of this.

My coworkers are hooked to the mainstream soap opera so they naturally believe 9/11 was carried out by a couple of muslim guys and all the rest of it.

My perception is that there was a lot more to it than that, and that a number of different agencies were involved to make something like 9/11 possible.

So when the conversation around the table goes into 9/11, I have a choice of not saying anything or to tell people what I really think.

I told people what I really felt about 9/11 because it was the right thing to do. I knew I would get a lot of ridiculing because of it, but I still did it. Once they started doing their predictive ridicule stuff, I just smiled it off because I knew it would happen. And I felt great for having the courage to speak my mind.

So for me... heart all the way. Courage. Self respect.

edit on 21-9-2012 by Bodhi911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
In my understanding, It is of Vital importance that you must start from the heart. If any one practices meditation, studies chakra's, kabbalah, and esoteric things for that matter. It is understood that before you could reach the chakra's located where the head is. You must open the heart before you can reach those.

Then I would say that, to start from the heart first then express your understanding with imagination through the head. As someone replied before me, it is necessary that you use both of the head and the heart. Using the heart as the ground support and venting it up towards the head. Then you will have a logically heartfelt approach, which is stronger then pure cold logic.

The softest thing can overcome the hardest; formless, it can enter where there are no gaps or space.
-Lao Tzu

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Listen to the head if you want to survive long (or at least healthier)

Listen to the heart if you want to enjoy it .

I tend to use both, but mostly the head. I try to get rid of desires also, so that also helps to align the two...

new topics
top topics

join