It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Japan Denies Endorsing Bush in Election

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
According to the following report Japan's government today denied declaring its support for President Bush in the upcoming U.S. election, despite the fact that Japanese leader Koizumi suggested he preferred the Republican incumbent to Democratic challenger Sen. John Kerry on Thursday...

ABCNEWS.com Full Article

TOKYO Oct. 15, 2004 � Japan's government on Friday denied declaring its support for President Bush in the U.S. election, despite the prime minister's comment that he hopes Bush will "do well" in the vote.

Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi has forged a close relationship with Bush and has been a steadfast supporter of the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq. His government has deployed some 550 troops to southern Iraq.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Hiroyuki Hosoda denied on Friday that Koizumi meant to voice an opinion about who he hoped would win the U.S. election.

"It's not that the prime minister is saying who should win," Hosoda told reporters. "No matter what the results of the election may be, the ties between the United States and Japan are solid."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Does it matter what Japan has to say about the U.S. election?

I am sure it does to the Japanese American community.

Rather this was meant to endorse Bush or not it does reflect a bond between Bush and Koizumi that may be more friendship than political leaning.

Do other nations somehow through actions such as this have some power over U.S. elections, through a sanctioned endorsment or not?

Japanese anyone?

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I would say the jury is out on the issue. Apparently, Russia is now hoping Bush wins, which would be a clear departure from their prewar and postwar stance thusfar. perhaps terror on the scale of heartache that russia suffered has a way of waking people up to the real war. I'm not even sure if this is true regarding Russia, I heard it in passing on a blog/forum, however one would have to admit that Putin has warmed to bush's foreign policy regarding terror after dealing with his own tragedy.

As far as endorsing goes, hasn't a couple of countries endorsed Kerry already?

new topics

join