It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Of Time Travelers and Super Powers ...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I've just watched two movies ATS members might enjoy which deal with some subject matter sometimes presented here.

While neither movie is an action packed thriller of any sort, both being a little slow, they're well worth the watch, and thought provoking along several respects in both cases.

The first is Red Lights

Psychologist Margaret Matheson and her assistant study paranormal activity, which leads them to investigate a world-renowned psychic who has resurfaced years after his toughest critic mysteriously passed away.

I really enjoyed Red Lights.
As mentioned, it's slow, but, it grabs your attention.
If you're familiar with some of the classic mentalists and psychics from the 70s like Uri Geller, you can see where this movie is something like a what-if in using a character similar to Geller (portrayed by DeNiro).
The story takes place from a professional Skeptic's point of view, but, there's some rather interesting twistyness that occurs toward the end of the film which I refuse to spoil for you.
Just watch it

The second film is called Sound of My Voice.

A journalist and his girlfriend get pulled in while they investigate a cult whose leader claims to be from the future.

Another slow movie, but also well worth the watch, with a twist, and thought provoking.
This film is also filmed from the skeptic's perspective, where as described in the ex-text above, a couple infiltrates a cult based off a woman who claims to be from 2054.

Watch them both, and though they're not edge of your seat thrillers, you won't be disappointed with the time you spend in watching them if you like material that goes further than simple surface detail.

on both movies here.
Hope you enjoy.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Nice, been looking for a few movies to watch with this sort of stuff. Never heard of these.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Would you believe it!!!

I watched red lights last night..
Loved it.
The only thing that got me about it was the lack of 'how's.

Really enjoyed the skeptical side of it but they didn't touch onto what they study in as much depth as I would have liked. A bit more involvement in the subject matter would have been a big improvement.

For example, the opening portion seemed to have some get up and go... but suddenly got up and got lost.

otherwise a good movie..

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Yes, after that first bit, the movie slowed down, and seems to lead the viewer into a lost state of wondering what's going on, where is the plot taking us, and why is Dr. Tom Buckley so conspicuously obsessed with proving the Uri Geller type character a fraud?

With DeNiro playing the spooky spoon bending Psychic, and the skeptic/'detective' pursuing him, I found myself experiencing some deja vu with the Movie Angel Heart, and even expecting similar outcome.

All in all, it was a pretty decent film and worked out above my expectations going into it.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
These so sound like my kind of movies. Cool subject matter, depth...that's not "slow" that's anti-shortattentionspanitus. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Druscilla
Your right i love this kind of subject matter..I watched both the trailers and they look good so far..
I'm going to have to get both the movies and watch them all the way through..thanks for the thread..peace,sugarcookie1 S&F

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I'd seen the trailer for "Red Lights" but not "Sound of my Voice".
They both look pretty good and right up my street. Will have to look out for the DVD's.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Thx for sharing!

Hadn't heard of Red Lights. Will be checking it out!
As for Sound of my voice. I've been waiting for this one for a while! Can't wait to see it.

To anyone who like that kind of stuff !!!! I'd suggests:

- Another Earth
- Take Shelter
- Melancholia
- The Quiet Earth
-Donnie Darko
- Mr. Nobody

Bon cinema!

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Personally, I thought "Another Earth" and "Melancholia" both really sucked.

"The Quiet Earth", on the other hand, was fantastic.

"Time After Time" is also a pretty good old film. It's about H.G. Wells chasing after Jack the Ripper who has escaped into 1970's San Francisco.

"Source Code" was pretty good, although I suppose it is more of an alternate reality movie than time travel.

"Triangle" is a weird but good one about this group of people who go sailing only to end up finding an old derelict steamship. Time loops ensue.

top topics

join