Zombies in ancient mythology and religion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   
The idea of zombies is not just something dreamed up by movie-makers. Its been with us for a long time. Many ancient cultures mention zombies in their folklore and their religions. These are just a few examples.

Haitian Folklore

Haitian and African systems of voodoo teach the "Zombification" of people through a number of spells and by use of various powders and potions. People who have been administered such drugs are buried at funerals and then dug up again to then exist as a Zombie. The reanimated undead are used as slave labor.
To keep them in a state where they lack a will of their own, one must continue to give them a variety of drugs. The Zombification of people is real enough to be considered a crime at the same level as murder in the Haitian legal books.

From the Bible

And the LORD will send a plague on all the nations that fought against Jerusalem. Their people will become like walking corpses, their flesh rotting away. Their eyes will rot in their sockets, and their tongues will rot in their mouths. On that day they will be terrified, stricken by the LORD with great panic. They will fight their neighbors hand to hand.

Zecharia 14:12-13

But after the three and a half days a breath of life from God entered them, and they stood on their feet, and terror struck those who saw them.

Revelation 11:11

So I prophesied as he commanded me, and breath entered them; they came to life and stood up on their feet–a vast army.

Ezekiel 37:10

In Hinduism

Taken from this source on the Vetala:

In Hindu folklore, the vetala is an evil spirit who haunts cemeteries and takes demonic possession of corpses.

These corpses may be used as vehicles for movement (they no longer decay while inhabited).

In China

The Zombie is known as Jiang Shi in China, Ganshi in Korean and Kyonshi in Japanese.

is a type of reanimated corpse

in the day, the jiangshi rests in a coffin or hides in dark places such as caves. At night, it moves around by hopping, with its arms outstretched. It kills living creatures to absorb their qi (life essence).

the causes of a corpse being reanimated can be classified in two groups: a recently deceased person returning to life, and a long buried corpse not decomposing

The Chinese have defined several possible causes for Zombification some of which are "unsuitable burial grounds", the use of "supernatural arts for resurrection of the dead", "spirit possession of a dead body", failure to bury a dead body, improper death or suicide and also virus infections.

jiangshi" literally means "hard" or "stiff". It is believed that the jiangshi is so stiff that that it cannot bend its limbs and body, so it has to move around by hopping while keeping its arms stretched out for mobility. A peculiar feature is its greenish-white skin; one theory is that this is derived from fungus or mold growing on corpses. It is said to have long white hair all over its head[4] and may behave like animals.[5

In Tibet

In Tibetan folklore they are called Ro-Langs

A ro-langs is a zombie-like creature from Tibetan folklore. Ro is the word for corpse and Langs is the perfect tense of "to rise up", so Ro-Langs literally means "a risen corpse". A ro-langs is usually created by a gdon spirit, or a sorcerer. A ro-langs cannot speak or bend over, it signals its victims by wagging its tongue back and forth. They can not bend at any joints, which makes them walk with a stiff-armed lurch. In regions of Tibet there are low doorways to keep the ro-langs out.

Demonic ro-langs are created by an evil spirit with the goal of contaminating other humans

Just like with vampires, werewolves and other creatures the zombie idea too has its grounding in ancient legends, religions, traditions. It was not just made up out of thin air by movie-makers. The concept has been part of human consciousness for a long time - maybe because there is some reality to it.

Some related recent Threads:

Compiled list of people eating events

Zombies used in counter-terrorism program

Homeland Security: "Zombie Preparedness"

Zombies as demonic possession

Strange happenings in Georgia and Florida

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

something about indonesia's walking "dead" also:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 21-9-2012 by choos because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by choos

something about indonesia's walking "dead" also:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 21-9-2012 by choos because: (no reason given)

Wow...Ive never seen that, thats pretty amazing. If you have any more, bring it on.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   

very interesting thread.

what if, the existing undead lives among humans unnoticed ? they were once humans, but were killed and are kept "alive" by some kind of spiritual power. everybody would see a human, but they are puppets, other-directed marionettes, tools for evil purposes.
edit on 21-9-2012 by icepack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   

There is also a reference in Revelation 9:6 -
During those days men will seek death, but will not find it; they will long to die, but death will elude them.

When I read that as a kid before the recent uptick in zombies in the media, I instantly thought ZOMBIES!

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
They are all across the globe:

A draugr, draug or (Icelandic) draugur (original Old Norse plural draugar, as used here, not "draugrs"), or draugen (Norwegian, Swedish and Danish, meaning "the draug"), also known as aptrganga ("afturgöngur" in modern Icelandic) (literally "after-walker", or "one who walks after death") is an undead creature from Norse mythology, a subset of Germanic mythology.

Draugar were believed to live in the graves of the dead, with a draugr being the animated body of the dead..

Draugr

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   

In a sense, Egyptian mummies were zombies.
The investment of all the goodies from life into burial was a means to ensure the dead didn't come back looking for their stuff, so, they get to take their stuff with them, which is much better than having angry dead people mucking about causing trouble in the Empire.

Zombies are quite cool in all aspects and imaginings, historically and in fiction. Technically, any 'undead', like vampires, for instance, would be a zombie, though, in the case of vampires it's more of a super zombie.

Ah, it's too bad we live in a reality where such magical mystery things are myth. The world would be so much more entertaining and interesting were even a fraction of some of these spooky things were true.

edit on 21-9-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Dybbuk

In Jewish folklore, a dybbuk (Yiddish: דיבוק, from Hebrew adhere or cling[1]) is a malicious or malevolent possessing spirit believed to be the dislocated soul of a dead person

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

Ah, it's too bad we live in a reality where such magical mystery things are myth.

I wouldnt discount their existence considering they are reported across the globe.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

The world would be so much more entertaining and interesting were even a fraction of some of these spooky things were true.

Stay sure. Because most of the so called "Myths" are true.

This is an interesting world.

S&F, Skyfloating

edit on 21-9-2012 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
edit on 21-9-2012 by Skyfloating because: double post

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Did Zombies roam in mediaval Ireland?

Archaeologists in Ireland have unearthed two 8th-century skeletons buried with stones stuck into their mouths. They believe this could have been a way to ensure the dead did not rise up like zombies. Bodies identified as revenants or the "walking dead" tended to be people who had lived as outsiders.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
IMO, I dont think anything is IMPOSSIBLE!!! Especially with all the mythology from accross the globe and the more recent reports from all over....we never know!!

But what I wonder is, lets say I get bit by one of the said Zombies, would I turn into one like in the movies or would it just hurt like a B...?

Fascinating thread S&F

Teye

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Teye22
But what I wonder is, lets say I get bit by one of the said Zombies, would I turn into one like in the movies or would it just hurt like a B...?

What Ive read of the old mythologies on zombies up to now there is no talk of that, except in the vampire legends. So who knows...

Zombies seem to be a possibility...a small and unlikely one, but still a possibility.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

All I know is that If I should ever see one of them walking toward me saying "Brains!" I getting the F*%#@ outa there!!!

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

it would seem to me that we already have a huge wave of zombies on hand here in america.

they spend all day texting and tweeting, losing touch with the real world.
anybody with a hundred send and receive a day is well under way to being a zombie.

bigest diference is they do no work as the legend of old would have us believe zombies were useful once upon a time.

ever so often they connect with another zombie for cheap sex, seamingly the main advantage of being a zombie.

shut off the cell phones and they hit the streets as a zombie apocalypse, it's definetly a real problem.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by citizen6511

Thats another type of zombie being created. Its funny ho the more advanced we technologically become, the more zombified we seem to be becoming emotionally.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

the concept is very old, maybe even paleolithic.

One of the most famous myths[6] about Ishtardescribes her descent to the underworld. In this myth, Ishtar approaches the gates of the underworld and demands that the gatekeeper open them:

If thou openest not the gate to let me enter,
I will break the door, I will wrench the lock,
I will smash the door-posts, I will force the doors.
I will bring up the dead to eat the living.
And the dead will outnumber the living.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by citizen6511

Yep. I watch the news to see what they are programming zombies with, not so much for information.... and holy cow, have you seen them push the Iphone 5 lately? It's apparently more important the anything else going on in the world.

We really need to do something or all our children will be facing the worst life in a transhuman world.
If the gap between man's spirituality and his technological ability weren't widening daily it wouldn't be so much of a big deal... but people can't even handle their own thoughts and responsibilites... How will technology make it any better? All it will do is remove whatever conscience we USED to have.

Like I always said... "Twitter today, Transhumanism tomorrow".

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

Thats a good contribution to the thread. I didnt realize the idea of the dead eating the living is that old.
Thats also a rebuttal to what I said earlier that I dont know of any ancient myths in which zombies eat people.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join