It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elephant rubs her eye in disbelief after cataract op to restore her sight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Title of the article is somewhat misleading, it appears she still cant see as of yet but all signs are good.

It was a truly mammoth undertaking, but Duchess the blind elephant will finally be able to see again after receiving what was quite possibly the world's largest ever cataract operation.
The 43-year-old Asian elephant, who only has the one eye left, had been able to do little more than distinguish between light and dark for years. But thanks to surgeons at Paignton Zoo, Devon, she should soon be able to see clearly once again.
The huge creature was put under by anaesthetists David Burton and Jo Jago for around three hours, while the delicate operation was carried out by consultant opthamologist Jim Carter and assistant John Lewis.
After she came round Duchess seemed to be fine and was tenderly rubbing the sore eye with her trunk.

Stories with animals allways get to me, its a happy story since its shows humanity isnt all bad but its more sad as not only is it heartbreaking this animal isnt in the wild with a family group like normal but she is all alone which must be horrible for an Elephant.

Elephants in captivity will normally pair up and become smaller versions of the family unit they have in the wild,
This particular Elephant (Duchess) partner died several years ago.

Smiles or tears, I cant decide, maybe a bit of both but either way its an interesting story.
Remarkable pics of the Op on at the link

Link to article
edit on 21-9-2012 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-9-2012 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Awww a good old girl named Duchess, just like my good old shepherd.

edit on 21-9-2012 by zonetripper2065 because: (no reason given)

new topics

join