ATS is finished!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
If you subscribe to a newspaper, you don't read every single article in the newspaper do you? Same with ATS. You don't need to read politics if it does not interest you. Just stick to UFOs. Your choice.

Same with stars and flags. If they don't interest you, ignore them. There is no evidence anywhere that the existence of these various metrics either adds or detracts from the posts made. Some of use them. If I see you have a Karma of 2 and 10,000 posts, I can safely ignore your posts as probably useless blather. If I see a Karma score of 50, I know that many people value your posts. I might pay more attention. Wanna know how all that stuff works? Just go here.

If you don't see it that way, well Halellaeuja. Good for you! Pat yourself on the back and keep moving! But I do wonder why, if they mean nothing to you, you pay so much attention to telling us you don't care about them.

And this site is highly overrated. Witness the following statistics:

Total member accounts: 269,656
Members who have posted: 148,703
Percentage of members who have posted: 55 %
Number of members with 20 or fewer posts: 113,403
Number of members with 20 to 100 posts: 18,906
Number of members with 100 to 500 posts: 10,489
Number of members with 500 to 1,000 posts: 2,490
Number of members with 1,000 to 5,000 posts: 2,429
Number of members with 5,000 to 10,000 posts: 212
Number of members with more than 10,000 posts: 109

Only 55% of members have even bothered to post and something close to two-thirds of them have less than 20 posts. The vast majority of posts here are done by 1% of the members. ATS is kind of like a puffer fish. It looks a lot bigger than it really is.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
S&F, buddy!
Lol
Do it again! Rant once more... PLEASE!

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

So you can claim that the stats are 'manipulated', but in reality the difference between the staff only posts/threads in comparison to the public ones is so great that it hardly makes a dent.

lol... sounds like excuses to me.

Sort of like a liar saying my lies don't matter, because I tell the truth most of the time.

Whatever.. in the grand scheme of things it matters little...except that in fact it is not an accurate stat.

I just think it really idiotic that they would have it set up that way, and it makes me wonder why?

More manipulation? I'd think such a site as ATS would have ways to not have alerts from members, as well as discussions by mods about them count as threads started?

Heads up to you who are not aware that the number of threads started under profile is in actuality a false number...in some cases grossly out of whack of the actual number of threads started.

The memberships that I quoted the discrepancies about were not mods, just average members, and some not even here that long.

edit on 21-9-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Isn't it ironic that those who complain the most are those who are here every day?

Never understood that one.

~Tenth

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.
edit on 9/21/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

It's simple brother, we can't let all the job to the mods. We stand together.

I love ATS too much to let the sheeple take over.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by FrostForests

Solid, real threads on real topics are being ignored partially due to 20 page flame wars over a quip or misquote uttered by somebody on the president's staff taking up room and attention, S/F's and adding nothing. Now this isn't exactly the fault of the system we have here, but the fault of the members who bite into these threads.

edit on 21-9-2012 by FrostForests because: typo

Tell me about it. Unfortunately that is one of the things that HAS gotten worse and there is little the mods or amigos can do as you obviously realize
You hit the nail on the head here.. the members who bite.. and that is why so many say " you dont have to click or reply" to the threads that are distasteful to you. That is not fallacious, its advising not to feed that dog so it goes away.

I TRULY miss the wildly speculative convos we used to have , but now newbies or cranky oldies came in to trash or ridicule it .
It is fun to explore your own head in a convo like that. Its impossible to have now with the current climate. I have tried to really pay attention to this and I really believe that it is sort of like a few real life things going on. People ( in this case newbies of ANY age or slot they want to shove themselves into) are angry. The world is more bewildering than ever.. and with anger comes fear. So there is a lot of lashing out. Seems like cheap therapy, but its ruining the climate here. I do believe that these people will learn.. they WILL put in the effort, otherwise why did they find ATS and sign up. The others will die on the vine **IF** we stop biting the bait and be open with each other. I chose to respond to your thread because you have a point that needs to be addressed.. the membership here must see they are the entire problem and solution to this community.. its quality and longevity.

Now, stars and ads and all.. I dont know about you, but I enjoy coming here to a FREE forum with a few people of amazing intellect and other searchers like myself.. I would actually PAY a fee if it were required just to speak with a few here as I feel its a true rare opportunity with some. I enjoy the free chat feature ( though the new thread thing should be there still dammit.. ) and I cant see any real reason to dislike the fact that the owners make money. They do.. I do on my forum as well. I do believe this was written for us and being written by a human being.. its fallible. The board or stats and all are not perfect. I do not demand it is personally. This forum has evolved and is still evolving and improving IMO. I enjoy its growth even with the growing pains.. erm.. pains in the ass certain posters included.

Had to edit and add here that the radio show and the survival show.. all FREE. There are some here that love the truth and love spreading information. If just ONE person is aided or helped or enlightened by these things.. that are all freely given to us.. well I can think of no more noble thing and deserving of respect.
edit on 21-9-2012 by Advantage because: more babble....

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
reply to post by WhisperingWinds

I have many favorites, I tend to go to "top topics" - "all time" open a few (in fact I think I've read them all aha), and follow impresive members from there on, via checking profiles, threads and posts... Beyond the "all time" option you have to do the searching your self.. It'll lead you to great places tho.

Another option would be to check the tops WATS, some of the older members profiles will take you down memory lane. Also checking the history of old or founding members that occasionally pop up, such as Valhal.

If you'd like though, ill spend a few days recording some of my favorites and suggest them to you

Thanks for the suggestions..I have a lot to learn about using the board and all its functions...and what you have suggested has helped a lot.

Thank you.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by FrostForests

Nice rant, FrostForests. Some points I do agree, some others, meh.

You know, this forum was about thinking outside the realm, about thinking for ourselves.

Here's a meh situation. I think that this forum is still about thinking outside the realm. Very much so. And there are numerous members here that do think for themselves, that discuss intelligently, that come to different conclusions - after or during civilized debate - than what they originated from and that acquire knowledge through a membership at large that works together in finding - not necessarily the truth - but the closest thing to it.

It has become, in the majority, a forum for fighting against each other the same topics and sides that the rest of the "sheeple" partake in. The distinction is that we press a bit more into the issues and topics, but really, we seem to be the fringe attempting to, by our own or outside influences, the fringe becoming the mainstream we claim so valiantly to fight against.

Where you see a majority, I see a minority. Funny, I never liked that "sheeple" word, or label. Where people see "sheeples", I see individuals, human beings with a different background, a different education, a different view on things. As far as the mainstream goes, there is a great part of the membership here that look beyond the editorials. they look deeper in the subject. They find the accuracies and the flaws. Wasn't it always like that ?

So, in closing, at this point in time, ask youself why you frequent this board, why you might star and flag,

I frequent ATS because it is the best alternative news forum out there. By far. I frequent ATS because I can read direct feedback from members from all around the world, ofetn straight from the source. I frequent ATS because there are topics that make me think, that force me to look deeper into whatever subject gained my attention.

I am one of those flags and stars nutters. Good thread, flag. Interesting thread, flag. Want more info when a thread comes along about a subject I know little about, flag, to get members attentions to it. Same goes for stars. I'll star good replies. I'll even star one liners that make a point. I'll star different opinions than mine if they make a point.

why you might agree or disagree with a post.

Depends on the post, the subject. Too vague to answer.

Ask yourself if you are not being led to a point you never intended to be led to.

Based on what? I don't feel that my freedom of thought has been led anywhere else than what I let it roam.

Ask yourself if you are the same person at heart as when you started visiting, and ask yourself if you've been fooled.

Oh I'm definitely not the same person. When I joined this forum, I was a person who didn't chew his words. If I had something to say, it was direct, bold and often times crude even cruel. Being a manager and a store owner for part of my life had led me to think that an authoritative attitude won debates. Never second. Never lose. I am not claiming that ATS is the sole cause of a change in this perspective - I worked on real changes in real life - but it has been a good part of it. ATS has showed me - through some exceptional members - how to be respectful, remain open minded, remain civil and most of all, remain human, in discussing whatever subject that needs deeper inquiries.

Fooled? Now that's funny.

Starred and Flagged.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

People ( in this case newbies of ANY age or slot they want to shove themselves into) are angry. The world is more bewildering than ever.. and with anger comes fear. So there is a lot of lashing out. Seems like cheap therapy, but its ruining the climate here.

With anger also comes change..and many people come to this site because they are angry about the lies they have been told over the decades...and it makes them angry to be misinformed and lied to again on a site that they have gone looking for truth in.

To suggest that a conspiracy forum should not have any anger , and it is ruining the climate, seems a bit harsh.

Pain in the ass posters are all a matter of opinion , some are just much better at hiding their superiority complexes and judgements behind barbed remarks, and subtle attacks.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonoftheSun

Oh I'm definitely not the same person. When I joined this forum, I was a person who didn't chew his words. If I had something to say, it was direct, bold and often times crude even cruel. Being a manager and a store owner for part of my life had led me to think that an authoritative attitude won debates. Never second. Never lose. I am not claiming that ATS is the sole cause of a change in this perspective - I worked on real changes in real life - but it has been a good part of it. ATS has showed me - through some exceptional members - how to be respectful, remain open minded, remain civil and most of all, remain human, in discussing whatever subject that needs deeper inquiries.

Fooled? Now that's funny.

Starred and Flagged.

You know, I can identify with this.
I can say that Ive learned a LOT on ATS.. and proof you are never too old to learn.. from a few folks and from dealing with such a diverse membership. Humility. I have learned humility and I work on it every day now. Id have not noticed what a narcissist and authoritarian person I am if Id have not had a few examples of humble yet powerful people here. Id just never encountered this in my adult life real life and found it so appealing I want to learn how to be like that. Its admirable. Ive learned how to speak to people better. When I can see a truly brilliant mind bashed like hell and then come back with a normal reply and attempt to draw the convo back to the subject without barking at a person who is obviously well below understanding the subject .. well.. I am always in awe. I work a lot with the public at large. They are ghosts almost compared to some of the minds here. ATS can not be allowed to be "finished" because where else can you find the concentration of these people other than here?

The experience here ( and everywhere) truly seems to be what you make it. We have the perfect forum potential here.. Ive been "computing" since my TRS-80 and had a dial up bbs. Ive been around the block, in a manner of speaking,.. and in my opinion we have a flawed human board filled with flawed humans.. and a wonderful opportunity if we choose to take it.

On a side note.. Ive been part owner of a board attached to a business for several yrs. It caters to professionals in a certain area. It truly drives me insane and I come to violent thoughts about some of them. I get to where I dont even want to click on the bookmark... I feel the anxiety of dealing with these people because I cant knock their heads off ...and have to be all calm, above it and that nonsense. LOL! Some have accused what Ive said here about the mods as brown nosing.. nope. My board has heavy traffic.. nothing like this board.. and I could pull my own eyes out sometimes. I went on ban-fests.... then I have to puke up an apology and reinstate them.
I dont know how they handle the diversity here.. the sheer numbers of different personalities and the types this subject matter attracts. They do it and give this precious time for free.. wtf? Why??? Im being paid and I walk away regularly with my panties seriously bunched. I believe its a love for the information and subjects they are moderating. The globals HAVE to be nutballs, but the ones who are mods for certain subjects? Man. thats a love and passion. Necessary to respect that even when you want to punch them in the throat sometimes.

I want those old lurkers and low posters to crawl out of the woodwork again.. I know youre reading this.
I dont care if you sign up under a diff name.. I did too..! Just come back and blow my mind. Real life sucks. I want to talk about weaponized Rabies, wave mechanics, and the geometry in virology again... I want to "fight" over Anthropic Principle again!!! Im thoroughly SICK to death of Romney and Obama.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhisperingWinds

People ( in this case newbies of ANY age or slot they want to shove themselves into) are angry. The world is more bewildering than ever.. and with anger comes fear. So there is a lot of lashing out. Seems like cheap therapy, but its ruining the climate here.

With anger also comes change..and many people come to this site because they are angry about the lies they have been told over the decades...and it makes them angry to be misinformed and lied to again on a site that they have gone looking for truth in.

To suggest that a conspiracy forum should not have any anger , and it is ruining the climate, seems a bit harsh.

Pain in the ass posters are all a matter of opinion , some are just much better at hiding their superiority complexes and judgements behind barbed remarks, and subtle attacks.

I didnt say no anger. I said they come in anger and learn.. they WILL learn or pass on to other things if left to die on the vine. I am a pretty intense and aggressive person. I have learned.. let me tell you.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

I didnt say no anger. I said they come in anger and learn.. they WILL learn or pass on to other things if left to die on the vine. I am a pretty intense and aggressive person. I have learned.. let me tell you.

I guess we're all learning..even those who may feel they have learned it all...still have lessons to learn.

My apologies for not understanding the implications of some of your statements.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhisperingWinds

I guess we're all learning..even those who may feel they have learned it all...still have lessons to learn.

My apologies for not understanding the implications of some of your statements.

Apology not necessary. Its hard enough to get a point across in text ( and I can type at godawful speed per minute.. unfortunately
) while Im multitasking.. like Id hold a misunderstanding against anyone! LOL!
I came here pissed off in 2007. I am now about half as pissed off.. BUT Im pissed off at the right people now I think.

Its a silly way to think I guess.. If I listen to some, but I do believe that every time we touch another human being.. we change them and we are changed. When we write we touch many.. ones we dont know we touch. I guess we just have to choose how we decide to influence ourselves by how we influence others with our words or actions. Unfortunately I have come to believe I am really responsible for all that I say and do and will be judged by it not only here but in my afterlife. I have a heck of a lot to make up for and slip up **all** the time. When you believe this.. and you feel the need to correct or chastise.. I guess you have to take the responsibility of how that will ripple on to you as well. Accept it and choose battles carefully. Another thing ATS has taught me that I can use in real life. It is easier to bark back and when this happens when someone is safely elsewhere typing to you, you know how the things you say REALLY effect others.. because they never say it face to face. I never really understood this as I dont really feel those things myself.Hit me like a ton of bricks when I really understood.

Im older and get all maudlin sometimes..
.. and consider things Ive done or said and get a case of the shames. I even wanted to call Timmy Dedere who I hit in the head with a rock when I was in elementary school once cause he tried to kiss me. Poor kid.. I probably turned him into a woman hating rejection motivated serial killer.
But seriously, a forum is a real powerful thing and can influence things you dont consider initially. Now that I see it.. wow.. how you can influence and change others and yourself.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Isn't it ironic that those who complain the most are those who are here every day?

Never understood that one.

~Tenth

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.
edit on 9/21/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

Amen Brotha! (In a non religious way
)

Why are they here?

I still welcome them though
edit on 21-9-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I've been coming here a long time, and I both agree and disagree with the OP. I don't have a problem with there being a star and flag system, as I like being able to give posters a pat on the back for saying something I agree with, or opening my eyes to something I didn't know about.

What I HATE about the star and flag system is there is no way to disapprove of someone's post, like a thumbs-down system. There are WAY too many jerks posting here for a site that claims courtesy is mandatory. As a forum owner myself (not a conspiracy forum or in any way related to these topics, and not as large as this one obviously but pretty large) I completely understand that mods and admins cannot be everywhere at once to police all the threads. Which is why member input is so important. However it must be kinda hectic in the mod forum if a new thread is created every time someone Alerts a thread. With a thumbs down system you could have a certain number of thumbs down required before the post is hidden from the public view or code it so it would automatically slap up a THIS IS A JERKY POST sign or something. As it stands the only way to disapprove of someone's post is to reply to the thread and say something which leads to a lot of arguing which is a serious downer. Debates would become a lot more civilized if the members could put a kibosh on jerks themselves.

Originally posted by schuyler
If you subscribe to a newspaper, you don't read every single article in the newspaper do you? Same with ATS. You don't need to read politics if it does not interest you. Just stick to UFOs. Your choice.

This is a beautiful idea in theory, however a lot of members (jerks) take great pleasure in going into a forum specifically for the purpose of ridiculing other members, calling them crazy, and pooping all over people and ideas that fall outside their perfectly ordered world view. Due to the whole courtesy rule a person should be able to start a thread about WHATEVER theory they want and not have to face some of the vitriol that goes on here every day. Skeptics are fine and necessary but most skeptics around these parts are literally incapable of disagreeing with someone without being jerks. Aliens & UFOS, Skunk Works and the like should be safe havens for people who want to discuss those issues. Instead of polite disagreement they get totally roasted, or just as bad they face haughty ridicule from ATS's "scientists".

And lastly, the horribly bigoted and ignorant "this religion is evil" threads. Nothing makes me feel more dirty, and like I'm a fly on the wall in a room full of Nazis than watching ignorant people stroke each other's hate pleasure centers. Continually being Judgy McJudgersons when a specific tenet of their religion is JUDGE NOT LEST YE BE JUDGED. There are extremists in every religion on the planet, and yet we're treated to this bigotry every day, on a site where courtesy is mandatory.

As someone who finds all organized religion ridiculous it seriously chaps me that I find myself compelled to defend a goat herder religion against someone from another branch of the same goat herder religion. It's the equivalent of a knock down drag out between people who drink coke and people who drink pepsi. I know, I know, I don't have to visit those threads but occasionally I can't help myself. Maybe it's masochism.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I believe a single good quote can shift the paradigm " The Telescope begins, where the microscope ends, Which of the two, Has the grander view ?" ATS finished ? I hope not I just got here

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Enlightened? See I told you ATS was a humour site

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Since this in the Rant section...I'm just going to go ahead and say you want some cheese with that whine?

What is it with people thinking they're being original posting threads like this ?

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightstalker78
Since this in the Rant section...I'm just going to go ahead and say you want some cheese with that whine?

What is it with people thinking they're being original posting threads like this ?

Why thank you for your input.

I can tell you put alot of thought and energy into that comment. I'm glad people such as yourself are proving that there are indeed people on this forum who contribute not with contemptuous, low brow remarks, but are genuine and thoughtful.

You're a real class act there guy. Thanks again.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

For those interested I found the link to what I feel is a brilliant thread on this subject, as previously promised.

~Heff

I really liked that contribution because it made me realize something.

ATS is extreamly beautiful because it allows the entire spectrum of personalities to contribute to a topic, and you certainly dont get that in the mass media anymore. As long as you can read the opinions of others and accepting them as just that, opinions, without getting angry, its quite a pleasant experience on this site.

But I cant do that fully yet.
Just yesterday I was in a political thread, posting a one-liner out of frustration with the mindless political debates. But at least I know where I want to go, like Jim Carrey said when he descibed his pretty interesting experience:

edit on 22-9-2012 by Bodhi911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by FrostForests

Originally posted by nightstalker78

Why thank you for your input.

I can tell you put alot of thought and energy into that comment. I'm glad people such as yourself are proving that there are indeed people on this forum who contribute not with contemptuous, low brow remarks, but are genuine and thoughtful.

You're a real class act there guy. Thanks again.

My god I feel dumb. I apologize dude,I thought I was posting on another thread. I replied to the wrong one. I feel like an ass.
edit on 22-9-2012 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join