It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discussion about Eyeglasses.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I am near sighted, and just yesterday I got my new pair of eyeglasses after not having any for several months.

The second I put them on, I couldn't help but smile. The world around me became more vibrant and vivid, and truly I had been missing out.

I do just fine without glasses, but when I do wear them, things take on a whole new level of clarity.

I've been thinking about getting contacts; anyone here have them?

On the flip side, does anyone like the fashionable look of eyeglasses?

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

I think eye glasses can be quite attractive. I used to wear contacts, 2 different prescription lenses. .50+ for left eye, 2.00+ for right eye. That worked well for me, but I got tired of dealing with contacts, and they dried my eyes after prolonged wear. What I ended up doing was having my natural lenses removed, and replaced with permanent prescription lenses. Total lens replacement is what it's called. Bionic eyes kinda....works perfect for me. If down the line you should decide to consider this procedure, talk with your Opthamologist about it. It's being done more often these days...

Des

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Very interesting, Des...I thought they only did that with cataracts. I thought laser was the only option!

As far glasses vs lenses...I have both. When I was younger I swore by lenses, couldn't live without them. Unfortunately as I grew older, they became problematic. Drying out, picking blurry..only where them when I know I have to wear sunglasses now and I carry drops with me.

I have fancy blingy glasses that I love...but now I need bifocals....it never ends!

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I am very farsighted and still wear the traditional "coke bottle" glasses at night.Daytime I wear hard contacts and they are a pain,plus I do not see as well with them.
I'd wear the glasses full time if they were a little newer,But do I know that I can always start a fire if need be with these bad boys.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

No, I didn't have cataracts, but my lenses were just starting to flatten out a little with age. I had read about the procedure, and talked with my Dr. about having it done. My natural lenses were lasered out, and the replacement prescription artificial lenses inserted, and allowed the outer edges to permanently adhere to my eyeballs. They did my eyes 2 weeks apart, which is the usual. Now, I just go in about every 2 years and have the surfaces laser cleaned. Perfect vision, as the replacement artificial lenses don't get cataracts,nor flatten like a natural lens.

Des

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Sounds really interesting....but I get that eeewww factor when it comes to my eyes, that's why I still haven't had them lasered, I think about and get close and then eeeww My Eyes!!

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink

Sounds really interesting....but I get that eeewww factor when it comes to my eyes, that's why I still haven't had them lasered, I think about and get close and then eeeww My Eyes!!

I know what you mean. If the procedure didn't require being completely put under by an an anesthesiologist, there's no way in hell I could have gone through with it.....

Des

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by SolarE-Souljah

I've been thinking about getting contacts; anyone here have them?

Ahhh.. I've worn contacts for years, really good (except in the wind when dust is flying round). My eyes reacted to soft's after a few years, so it's gas permeable now. My current ones I've had for years, maybe eight years. Been to the opt's and they say they're good as new still
Worth having a pair I reckon. Swap between glasses and lens. All good.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I have been wearing Contacts exclusively for the last 3 years. I wear the ones that are aproved for up to 30 days without removal. I put them in on the first of the month and take them out towards the end usually giving my eyes a day or two "rest" before I put new ones in. I carry "Blink" eyedrops with me everywhere I go and will put the drops in about 3 to 4 times a day. If I am doing yard work I will wear safety goggles to keep the dust out.

I have never had any issues wearing them for a month at a time. Going to contacts was the best decision I could have made. I love to read and I found wearing eyeglasses annoying as hell!

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Oh..whew...glad they put you out!!

When you get them lasered you can see that machine and everything....eeewww!

edit on 21-9-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

I think eye glasses can be quite attractive. I used to wear contacts, 2 different prescription lenses. .50+ for left eye, 2.00+ for right eye. That worked well for me, but I got tired of dealing with contacts, and they dried my eyes after prolonged wear. What I ended up doing was having my natural lenses removed, and replaced with permanent prescription lenses. Total lens replacement is what it's called. Bionic eyes kinda....works perfect for me. If down the line you should decide to consider this procedure, talk with your Opthamologist about it. It's being done more often these days...

Des

EWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWEW!

Okay, I kinda have a phobia about anything touching my eyes.

(beezzer now crying under a chair)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Keep eating your carrots, your eyes will be fine!!

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

I've had glasses since I was 10!

I once tried contacts and to be quite frank, ran screaming like a 12 year old girl at a Justin Beiber concert!

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

reply to post by beezzer

I've had glasses since I was 10!

I once tried contacts and to be quite frank, ran screaming like a 12 year old girl at a Justin Beiber concert!

Contacts take a little bit of patience to get used to. I am predominantly far sighted and have two differing strengths of contacts in my eyes. I have a X 375 contact in one eye and an X 200 in the other. When I first put them in after about an hour of frustration It felt very strange as one eye was being used for distance and the other for close up. After a week or so I got used to it and I dont even notice the different strengths, my eyes and my brain adjusted.

Prior to getting contacts I was someone who had to practically be sat on to have eyedrops put in. I could not handle it as my eyes would automatically close up when anything got near them. Plus my eyes are naturally squinty and I still have to pry them open to make room for the contacts. I could go on and on with my reasons that made it difficult to adjust to wearing contacts. Ultimately I got through them all, but it took a lot of patience. If i can wear them, I think anyone can. You have to really really work out it, but its worth it in my view.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by crawdad1914

I once got an eyelash in my eye and after the fit I threw, my wife threatened me with a divorce.

Contacts? Not unless I am HEAVILY medicated.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

I once got an eyelash in my eye and after the fit I threw, my wife threatened me with a divorce.

Contacts? Not unless I am HEAVILY medicated.

Manup I say.. Manup!!!

You and I are similar in this regard, but now I can touch my eyeball without even squinting.

You should give it another shot buddy!

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Nope.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

top topics

join