It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Systematic War On Intellectualism

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Teachers are only allowed to teach certain things that are chosen by the heads of the field they are in. They cannot teach things that are against the leaders of the field without repercussions. As an example, Geologists are trained to comply with the ethics and consensus of the other geologists following a discipline. The creators of this science are the mining industry who formed all the rules. They formed most of the laws with their contributions to governments and the tax paying jobs they create. Only recently have laws governing environmental concerns been passed. This is an example of just one field of science, they all have their own little stories. I think mining is necessary but I think that fixing environmental problems should be taken care of evenly on a global scale so everyone has the same environmental costs. This way polluters won't have an advantage. You can't dig in the earth without causing a little pollution, reasonable amounts are acceptable.

Teachers used to teach for the satisfaction of helping others and their salaries were low. People often returned the favor by helping them with food and supplies. Now adays teachers want big money and benefits greater than the general public. They have strict "No child left behind" guidelines. Their jobs are far from the prestigious jobs they once had. Half the people in town don't like the way they now teach their young. How depressing, many have sold their soul for more money. Many new teachers are not paid well either, almost starving when they first start because they often are part time for years and have college loans to repay. Something needs to be done but I don't know what.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Yes, college instructors are held to teaching what their departments say they must teach, but they cannot tell an instructor how to teach it. That makes a very big difference. You can either;
* be given the answers
* be taught the answers
* be taught how to find the answers yourself

Primary education (K-12) is a system that is clearly suffering from funds, and care. At this level politics, business, and other outside interests bleed their will into the minds of the youth.

At the higher levels of education though, the failings are due to poor instructors and inter-academic politics corrupting the process.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
It is also worth noting (depending upon what country you are in?)
that the colleges and universities are filled with students that shouldn't be there.
That can add to professors losing their motivation with time!

I mean that in the US at least, we no longer consider it acceptable for kids to be directed to technical schools early on, instead of going on a path of intellectual pursuit.

I think that is screwed up because in every population, there is half of it (at least) that are just not made for that!

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
The social function of a professor is less to impart knowledge and more to circumscribe it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join