It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we hardwired to believe in a higher power?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
If we are hardwired to beleive in a high power, then what about those who profess they do not believe in a higher power or a diety? Is their wiring screwed up or are they hardwired not to believe?

Some psychologists have made the hardwired to believe claim. Have they taken into consideration unbelievers?

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I don't believe in a higher power.

And I am pretty sure I haven't been hardwired for anything. I am a natural grown meat puppet.
All beliefs, principals, and morals are choices. Whether or not you are aware that you made that choice is another matter.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by 1PLA1

People are not hardwired to believe in a higher power..... we are brainwashed from birth.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by 1PLA1

Non-believers don't put faith in a God or diety. The fact that there is a "group" non-believers categories themselves in tells just that. The fact that so many of them crack jokes, attack, or mock what they say isn't real proves they believe, they just don't acknowledge a God as anything to them, a God is a nobody. If there wasn't a God, why have a term for the belief in not believing in something? I don't believe in flying pigs, and I don't have a term for us non-believers, and you don't hear me mocking flying pigs because I would just sound like a lunatic.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by dontlaughthink

Belief in a higher power was not suddenly invented in the modern age. Some type of religious belief goes back into prehistoric times.
If we are brainwashed from birth, who was it that first started the brainwashing?

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1PLA1
If we are hardwired to beleive in a high power, then what about those who profess they do not believe in a higher power or a diety? Is their wiring screwed up or are they hardwired not to believe?

Some psychologists have made the hardwired to believe claim. Have they taken into consideration unbelievers?

I believe that we are, more than I believe in the existence of God. You're asking all the right questions my friend. Go look at the functions of the brain, left side and right side. If you think with your right side of the brain about things considering life and death, I believe you are more likely to believe in a higher power or deity (God).

The right side of the brain represent spiritual aspects while the left side represents logic and reasoning.

For more information, read my thread in my signature titled "Maybe There Really Is Nothing After Death". I should mention that I'm an agnostic when it comes to what I believe.
edit on 20-9-2012 by TheProphetMark because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-9-2012 by TheProphetMark because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

I think we may be hard-wired to not understand. Sometimes we attribute what we don't understand to a god.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by 1PLA1

The first corrupt person...one who thinks he or she deserves more than the rest.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I think we are hardwired to imagine beyond what is directly observable. Combine that with an external world that is pattern oriented, seems to coalesce, develop life, provide opportunity for positive experience and many other indications of an overall order to the universe, then a God is a common conclusion to what our brains are hardwired to do.

I think belief in God is more of a result than an inherent trait.

And are there anything wrong with nonbeliever? I'd say no to that. One of the great characteristics of humanity is a variety of conclusions being drawn based on slightly different environment and tendency. Atheists are valuable in forcing believers to further question and reevaluate and having a higher focus on more fact driven endeavors.

With that said, as a believer in God I do think that we all have the spirit within us and pointing the mind toward the metaphysical and observing the effects tends to reinforce belief. That is where belief originally came from, most probably. The theory gave a rush to the thinker.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

I would say yes... We as a race are "programed" to believe in a higher power... even God. Though because of the distractions in this life, most can't see or feel the divine in all of us anymore...

This is why we refer to texts from far earlier times, when people had a greater connection with the spirit within...

"unbelievers" just haven't found the evidence they need to believe... but they too will not be able to deny the existence of God once they pass

edit on 20-9-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by 1PLA1

I think we are hardwired to POINT to a god. What I mean is, if we dropped babies off on an island (and they somehow survived on their own) when they grew and first witnessed thunder and lightning, a hurricane, a fierce and frightening wild beast, they would come to the conclusion that there must be a powerful, intelligent, angry force behind it. If we did this experiment over and over, I think they would come to this first conclusion every time.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I had hardcore catholic grandparents who lived upstairs. They paid for me to go to catholic school. I remember thinking in 2nd grade that religion was nonsense. I don't remember EVER, believing in any of that nonsense. A 4 year bout with afib and later a stent installation and never once did I pray or plead with some imaginary force to help/protect me. I just got my affairs in order, living will & trusts, so my wife would be taken care of should I snuff it. But I'm still here, healthier than when I was 26 (I was in damn good shape then). No thanks to make believe spooks, but with thanks to modern science.
Maybe it's the believers whose wiring is screwed up.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TheProphetMark

Thank you for the information in your post. Very interesting.

From your chart I have 7 for the left side of the brain and 4 for the right. But, I did come to faith more from a logical standpoint than from touchy-feely standpoint

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
My beliefs are currently being overhauled concerning this, here is why:

"Of course, there are human beings who claim the title atheist. They exist. I have met them. My point is, according to Scripture, that every human being KNOWS that there is a God. Ergo, in that respect, there is no such thing as a true atheist because at the deepest level every one does believe in God. "

"For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse."
~ Romans 1:18-20

Atheists Dont Exist

God Doesn't Believe in Atheists

"...atheism is an intellectually illogical position to hold. The reason for this is that only an all-powerful, omniscient, omnipresent being could know for certain that God does not exist. Simply put, only God could know without a doubt that there is no God. However, God can certainly know that atheists do not exist. He knows this because He has made Himself obvious to them, so much so that they are without excuse."

According to the below quote, people in hell KNEW the truth, but refused to OBEY the truth:

Pope John Paul II in Hell

"But I was only fooling myself, because I saw him in Hell, being tormented by flames. I looked at his face and recognized him. The Lord said to me, “Look, daughter, that man that you see there, is Pope John Paul II. He is here in this place being tormented because he did not repent.”

But I asked, “Lord, why is he here? He used to preach at church.” Jesus replied: “Daughter, no fornicator, no idolater, no one who is greedy and no liar will inherit My Kingdom.” (Ephesians 5:5). I replied, “Yes, I know that is true, but I would like to know why he is here, because he used to preach to multitudes of people!”

And Jesus responded, “Yes, daughter, he may have said many things, but he would never speak the truth as it is. He never said the truth. Although he knew the truth, he preferred money over preaching about salvation. He never told the truth; he would not say that hell is real and that heaven also exists. Daughter, now he is here in this place.”

When I looked at this man, he had a large serpent with needles, wrapped around his neck, and he would try in vain to take it off. He pleaded with Jesus, Lord, help me!” The man would scream, “Help me, Lord; have mercy on me; take me out of this place; forgive me! I repent, Lord; I want to return to earth, I want to go back to earth to repent.” The Lord observed him and said to him, “You knew very well that this place was real… It’s too late; there is no other opportunity for you.”

The Lord said, “Look, daughter, I am going to show you the life of this man.” Jesus showed me a huge screen on which I could observe how this man offered mass many times to the multitudes. And how the people who were there were so idolatrous. Jesus said, “Look, daughter, there are many idolaters in this place. Idolatry will not save, daughter. I am the only One who saves, and outside of Me, no one saves. I love the sinner, but I hate sin, daughter. Go and tell humanity that I love them and that they need to come to Me.”

Prepare to Meet your God

edit on 20-9-2012 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murgatroid
My beliefs are currently being overhauled concerning this, here is why:

"Of course, there are human beings who claim the title atheist. They exist. I have met them. My point is, according to Scripture, that every human being KNOWS that there is a God. Ergo, in that respect, there is no such thing as a true atheist because at the deepest level every one does believe in God. "

"For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse."
~ Romans 1:18-20

Atheists Dont Exist

"...atheism is an intellectually illogical position to hold. The reason for this is that only an all-powerful, omniscient, omnipresent being could know for certain that God does not exist. Simply put, only God could know without a doubt that there is no God. However, God can certainly know that atheists do not exist. He knows this because He has made Himself obvious to them, so much so that they are without excuse."

According to the below quote, people in hell KNEW the truth, but refused to OBEY the truth:

Pope John Paul II in Hell

"But I was only fooling myself, because I saw him in Hell, being tormented by flames. I looked at his face and recognized him. The Lord said to me, “Look, daughter, that man that you see there, is Pope John Paul II. He is here in this place being tormented because he did not repent.”

But I asked, “Lord, why is he here? He used to preach at church.” Jesus replied: “Daughter, no fornicator, no idolater, no one who is greedy and no liar will inherit My Kingdom.” (Ephesians 5:5). I replied, “Yes, I know that is true, but I would like to know why he is here, because he used to preach to multitudes of people!”

And Jesus responded, “Yes, daughter, he may have said many things, but he would never speak the truth as it is. He never said the truth. Although he knew the truth, he preferred money over preaching about salvation. He never told the truth; he would not say that hell is real and that heaven also exists. Daughter, now he is here in this place.”

When I looked at this man, he had a large serpent with needles, wrapped around his neck, and he would try in vain to take it off. He pleaded with Jesus, Lord, help me!” The man would scream, “Help me, Lord; have mercy on me; take me out of this place; forgive me! I repent, Lord; I want to return to earth, I want to go back to earth to repent.” The Lord observed him and said to him, “You knew very well that this place was real… It’s too late; there is no other opportunity for you.”

The Lord said, “Look, daughter, I am going to show you the life of this man.” Jesus showed me a huge screen on which I could observe how this man offered mass many times to the multitudes. And how the people who were there were so idolatrous. Jesus said, “Look, daughter, there are many idolaters in this place. Idolatry will not save, daughter. I am the only One who saves, and outside of Me, no one saves. I love the sinner, but I hate sin, daughter. Go and tell humanity that I love them and that they need to come to Me.”

Prepare to Meet your God

edit on 20-9-2012 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

I think you can find a few atheists in this thread, easily refuting both arguments.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
We are hardwired to believe in aliens and space travel.

Because they are the all the ‘gods’ we have ever experienced.

Mickierocksman

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

Saying I don't believe in a higher power is not the same as saying god does not exist.

It is completely possible for there to be a god. I don't know, and neither does anyone else on this planet. My position is, that I don't care. I think it is irrelevant whether or not a god exists.

I don't require a god for me to have a happy life and sleep soundly at night. It would also seem that if a god exists, that it doesn't care if I care or not. Hence the irrelevancy.

Everything is the way it is.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

reply to post by TheProphetMark

Thank you for the information in your post. Very interesting.

From your chart I have 7 for the left side of the brain and 4 for the right. But, I did come to faith more from a logical standpoint than from touchy-feely standpoint

If you're interested in learning more about what I'm I've been trying to explain, you should look into Dr.Persinger from Laurentian University who also proposed what I have stated as well. So far, he's developed a helmet that pumps magnetic fields in the right temporal lobes stimulating parts of the brain which induces near death experiences with your deity of choice or alien visitations.

Watch this short this video for more information regarding this so called "God Helmet" developed by Dr. Persinger.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Saying I don't believe in a higher power is not the same as saying god does not exist.

I think THAT is irrelevant...

I don't know, and neither does anyone else on this planet.

From my own experience, God has proven you wrong MANY times. He has personally given me PROOF over and over until I reached a point many years ago where I now KNOW instead of just believe.

Countless millions of others throughout history have ALSO had similar experiences. There is actually such a massive amount of evidence that supports this fact that I find it impossible to believe that YOU actually believe this.

If you DO actually believe that, hang on to your hat because things are about to change.

My position is, that I don't care. I think it is irrelevant whether or not a god exists.

Whether or not you care or what you THINK about God ARE irrelevant.

What HE thinks about YOU is all that matters.

I don't require a god for me to have a happy life and sleep soundly at night.

One of the most IRONIC statements I have EVER read...

The saddest part about that is knowing that you actually BELIEVE this because it is so out of touch with reality that it boggles the mind.

It would also seem that if a god exists, that it doesn't care if I care or not. Hence the irrelevancy.

Once again so far from reality that it causes me to stop and ponder about how I used to believe the same EXACT thing when I was very young. At a loss for words here...

All I can say is that you WILL know the truth but for now the most important thing you need to know is that everything you believe is a lie. When you realize this fact EVERYTHING changes.

It would be pointless to attempt to prove what I am saying here but I do KNOW what I am talking about.

BTW: IT is a HE as you will soon find out...

edit on 21-9-2012 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by 1PLA1

Not really. It's a by-product of organic natural selection and cultural evolution and can be studied objectively using principles of evolutionary psychology.

In The Evolution of God, an appendix is given that describes the development of religion (the whole book is an awesome read, and I highly recommend it).

The author, Robert Wright, says this:

An adaptation is a trait whose underlying genes spread through the gene pool by virtue of their giving rise to that trait. Love, for example, seems to be an adaptation. Love of offspring, by inspiring nurturance of those offspring, can help genes get into future generations; as a result, genes underlying parental love seem to have spread by virtue of their conduciveness to love.

You can similarly make arguments that awe and joy and fear—the other sentiments James cites—were, in themselves, adaptations. (Fearing a big aggressive animal, or a big aggressive human being, could save your skin and thus save the genes underlying the fear.) But that doesn’t mean religion is an adaptation, even though religion may involve love, awe, joy, and fear and thus involve the genes underlying these things.

To shift back into less technical terminology: you might say that we were “designed” by natural selection to feel love and awe and joy and fear. (So long as you understand that “designed” is a metaphor; natural selection isn’t like a human designer who consciously envisions the end product and then realizes it, but is rather a blind, dumb process of trial and error.) But to say that these emotions are a product of “design” isn’t to say that when they’re activated by religion they’re working as “designed.”

Similarly, humans were “designed” by natural selection to be able to run and were also “designed” to feel competitive spirit, but that doesn’t mean they were “designed” to participate in track meets. Religion, like track, doesn’t seem to be an “adaptation.”

Both seem to be what the paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould called a “spandrel”—a phenomenon supported by genes that had become part of the species by doing something other than supporting that phenomenon. A spandrel is an incidental by-product of the organic “design” process, whereas an adaptation is a direct product. Religion seems to be a spandrel.

And yet, you might say, religion does have the hallmarks of design. It is a complex, integrated system that seems to serve specific functions. For example, religions almost always handle some key “rites of passage”—getting married, getting buried, and so on—whose ritualized handling is probably good for the society. How do you explain the coherence and functionality of religion without appealing to a designer—or, at least, a “designer”?

You don’t. But biological evolution isn’t the only great “designer” at work on this planet. There is also cultural evolution: the selective transmission of “memes”—beliefs, habits, rituals, songs, technologies, theories, and so forth—from person to person. And one criterion that shapes cultural evolution is social utility; memes that are conducive to smooth functioning at the group level often have an advantage over memes that aren’t. Cultural evolution is what gave us modern corporations, modern government, and modern religion.

edit on 21-9-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-9-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

top topics

join