Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

83 y/o woman shot and killed by police...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by Doodle19815

Thanks.

However, as much as it would have been a better outcome, the police were facing a loaded gun, had she fired, one of them may have died. A tazer would not have hit in time, also, the tazer may have caused her muscles to tense and pull the trigger (see Raoul Moat incident in the UK), whilst it was aiming at the officers.

They had to make a tough call, but they still had to make it.

Then a procedure needs to change on dealing with elderly citizens. This isn't the first time things like this has happened. We will never know what happened on this. For some reason I feel after reading and seeing the interviews with the family members about this is if the cops would have simply lowered their voices and talked calmly to this woman thigs would have been diffused. Hell if they would have allowed her to enter her sisters house this would have been resolved.

I am sure that they could not believe that this 83 year old woman was out performing felonies. Just her dress alone should have told them that.

I do not like the way this was handled and it does, to me, call for changes in how these cops are trained. Altavista isn't exactly Chicago or LA.
edit on 20-9-2012 by Terminal1 because: Silly typo...

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by Doodle19815

She pointed her weapon at the police, at that point the police officers have to make a choice.....they don't know if she is going to fire, it's her or them, a split second decision.

It's sad, but if the police story is true, then they were just protecting themselves.
edit on 20/9/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

Hearsay though.

Evidence is required in order to determine what happened.

And from my vantage point, there is almost no evidence available to make a sound judgement in accordance with human rights or law.

Perhaps a police video or eyewitness reports would aid in making these determinations more clear?

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Never call the cops for anything. Just don't do it. If you do call them be sure to lock up your pets and be sure your affairs are in order.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miri08
Never call the cops for anything. Just don't do it. If you do call them be sure to lock up your pets and be sure your affairs are in order.

It does seem like it is getting to the point that calling the cops is getting more lethal than someone actually breaking in. Hear a noise? Best make noise yourself and forget calling the cops. They are liable to use lethal force.

It is just so frustrating to me to see events like this happen more and more.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
The no good bastard should be strung up and left for the vultures to feed on.

I am so sick and tired of hearing everyday about another Tyranny Enforcement Officer shooting a family pet, brutalizing a handcuffed suspect, or shooting an innocent homeowner. These bastards are out of control.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Terminal1

It's just plain sad. I've said in other posts that I'm sure their are still some good cops left but it's gotten to the point that it's literally a roll of the dice if you call them.

What hurts is thinking about how that woman's family must feel or the family of the dogs that have been shot (other posts.) I seriously believe that if this happened to my family/pets I would go completely insane.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
This is just awful... The police, are really getting out of hand here. To shoot an old women like that. This is intolerable. If only their were other psions like me out their, we could stop stuff like this ever happening.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I agree, and if it is found the police fired without good reason, then charges should be brought upon them.

Problem is, we may never know.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
As long as society accepts the policys, practices and proceedures of law enforcement this will continue.
Only as long as we accept it .

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by OLD HIPPY DUDE
As long as society accepts the policys, practices and proceedures of law enforcement this will continue.
Only as long as we accept it .

Reading the comments on the site linked in the OP shows that it is a tight knit community and eventually the truth will come out.

I hope the family gets some kind of justice but the sinking feeling I get when I think of this is tells me it jsut isnt going to happen.

If someone other than the police would have shot this woman, the name and face would have been plastered all over the news. If a cop shoots this woman, you can't even find out a name. That needs to change as well.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terminal1
in Altavista Virginia.

According to family members, an 83-year-old woman was shot and killed by an Altavista police officer Wednesday night. Family members tell WDBJ7 that Delma Towler called police because she thought someone was breaking into her home on 10th Street. Relatives say the 83-year-old was wandering behind her house. WDBJ7 has learned Delma may have fired a gunshot through her back door. She then left her house and tried to walk through her backyard to the home of her sister who, lives two doors away. Delma got all the way to her sister's back porch and that's when family members say she was shot by a police officer.

www.wdbj7.com...

Video on same link.

So police shoot and kill an 83 year old woman who called 911 thinking someone was breaking into her house. She did fire a shot out the back door before police arrived.

Her family is enraged being she was a church going woman who also went to walk a mile at the local YMCA 3 days a week.

IMHO, cops are getting out of hand...

Here's the thing. And if you think I'm off base tell me....

But from our childhood on we are brainwashed to believe all the major establsihments are good. So I'm talking stuff like emergency responder, banks, health care system, g--v, edu system, etc etc. But there's so many flaws in all of them that it's just as risky to call or use them as not to use them.

Only in rare events I'd say call them. Like your house is on fire, you get a heart attack, you got a broken arm, etc etc. Otherwise I'd say try and resolve the problem yourself. The more you deal with these people the more likely you're bound to run into serious problems. Like no joke I've heard so many horror stories. For example the health care system...They paralized my friends perfectly fine kid from the neck down. They killed my friends dad who was near fine (maybe he had signed his organ donor card). They likey gave me narcolepscy, and these are just a few I know of.

But again people are brainwashed. They actually think if something is wrong the very first thing you're suppose to is call TPTB. that is so dumb. Sure they'll show up and end up killing you or ruining your life forever as a result of something they do to you. People need to seriously wake up. They're so brainwashed its unbelieveable.

Like the story you mentioned doesn't even shock me one bit. Of course that was an accident and extremely rare, that goes without saying, but again you have to always be careful and know what you're getting yourself into if you deal with any one of the many agencies of TPTB. They can so easily ruine your life if you're not careful. My advice, avoid all of them at all cost.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

The only thing worse than this is when they will start shooting 5 & 6 year old children because they "thought he had a gun " or something like that.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Pardon my french, but what kind of stupdig redneck, leaves an 83 year old woman with a handgun?

That's criminal neglegence, if I ever knew one.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   

A hostage tried to run from captors, last week, but there were cops around, so he got shot.

Cops don't like things that run. The plan is to punish/regulate anything that moves, so they're on the right track.

technofascism.
edit on 21-9-2012 by davidmann because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Gotta love Grannie May!

Shooting holes through doors and prowling your's and your neighbours backyards ... ?! ..... after calling for help ?

I am leaning toward a certain amount of " plot loss " to blame. Extremely sad. For ALL concerned.

We live in interesting times.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Attend your local city council and county board meetings Folks. Who do you think their bosses are?

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Double post
edit on 21-9-2012 by GoldenRuled because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doodle19815

A spokeswoman from the Virginia State Police says Altavista Police Officers made several attempts to determine if anyone was inside Delma Towler's home and then heard shots fired from inside. Officers took cover and watched her leave the house with a gun in her hand. They followed her as she walked up to another home. They approached Towler, and commanded her repeatedly to put down her gun. Officers say she refused and pointed her weapon at them. She was then shot and died at the scene.

Update from the same source.

So they follow a scared elderly woman and shoot her. SHE IS FRIGHTENED! Back off and talk calmly to her. Jeesh.

Terrible. They had a visial on her then. I bet you 100 dollars they screamed at her commanding her to drop the gun. Screaming only hightens her fear, she reacted naturally. Instead of calmy talking to her and identifying themselves they shoot her! Sad. No matter how many times I hear stories like this I find myself even more frustrated that no one ever does anything about it.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Personally, I don't buy that she pointed her weapon at an officer. They say that in almost every case where someone was shot by the police. Sometimes they say that even though the victim had no weapon. The only witnesses were other officers, they will not rat out a fellow officer. Even if she did point her weapon at them, had they clearly identified themselves as officers? Of course they will say they did, but more and more the integrity of law enforcement is being called in to question by those that employ them, the general public. We have reached a state in this country where the people no longer have faith in their government or public officials and it is due to the behavior of those very same officials. The police would do well to remember that they have authority that is granted to them my the people that they serve. Their role used to be to serve and protect, yet they have no obligation to protect anyone. The system is broken.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85

The only thing worse than this is when they will start shooting 5 & 6 year old children because they "thought he had a gun " or something like that.

they already do, that's why toy guns are orange or have orange tips on them.

edit on 21-9-2012 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)
edit on 21-9-2012 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join