It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Original copies of The Declaration of Independence...*Questions*

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
So from what I have read there were only around 150-200 original copies made. So where are those copies? How would someone know if a copy is one of the originals? What would those copies look like today? What would the price be to purchase one?

This will do for now, please respond.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Wasn't it written on hemp paper?Hemp paper doesn't yellow as bad as normal paper.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
WEll thats what I thought too but I think the printing press they used had another signature, this is another one of my questions.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Interesting; More info on copies here too.

The most valuable copies, those from July, 1776, are not signed. The last copy on the market of the Philadelphia July 4th John Dunlap broadside sold in 2000 for $8,140,000 to TV producer Norman Lear, who has been exhibiting it around the country

Values are based on rarity, timing and format of subsequent editions, with earlier and scarcer 1776 broadsides approaching $1,000,000, but going down to a couple of thousand dollars for some original August 1776 printings.

I like this one:
This one was purchased in a thrift shop a few years ago for $2.48 and subsequently sold for over $475,000.
autographmagazine.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I truly am appreciative of the links provided here, when I first heard about the document being passed down for generations in my family, I never gave it another thought. Figured it was a some souvenir of past framed and handed down by family members who like myself had little respect for our gov and the shady politics it underhandedly represented. Well not entirely, some of my older relatives still think that the talking heads could never lie and that the gov is here to protect us and unify all of us to a utopian land of partnership and prosperity as long as individuals are willing to work hard and save.

I see this thread got very little interest so I will close for now but after looking (excitedly) through all the links provided, I see my find is perhaps not worth much on the market, but then is something very special to pass down through generations.

Here is an excerpt of a pm I figured I would share with anyone who may have been reading or curious about this thread that sums it up:

It really does, and to find it "this" year has even deeper meaning. I have always steered clear of politics even though it is told that one of my great grandfathers were present at the signing of the original documents and fought with his life for our freedom, our true freedom.

Putting my self aside this year went full on as a voice for the millions who wanted to see a new revolution, was a delegate to both congressional and state to usher in Ron Paul.

So much has changed since the founding fathers gathered in secret by candlelight to whisper and pen a new way of life and liberty for the new land where equality and freedom of choice were the solid base, the foundation of life lived and no longer ruled.

Through these changes we have enjoyed the fruits of our labors, we have trusted our elected officials and went about the privilege of a good days work for a good days pay.

That was until the truth was no longer a given on equal basis and again we have watched the decline of this Great Nation by the Barons of industry and capitalism gone amok.

I wish I had a crystal ball and could tell you that everything is going to somehow turn out positive, that something or someone will come along so straight and tall that it will change the destructive course we have embarked upon, but you know as well as I we can not afford to wear the blinders another day.

Even though I changed parties to support the Liberty movement, one thing a crystal ball is not needed for is to see that the globalist plan is to reelect obama for another 4 years. It is unclear after that whether the election process will even exist in all 'reality'.

All we can do at this point is continue to be the voice of our own conscience, to stay fully informed and to be the responsible individuals of truth as long as we can and then when our voice is silenced, find new ways to communicate.

Never , never give up.

J.

new topics

top topics

join