It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France will push for GM ban if cancer threat confirmed (Update)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

France will push for GM ban if cancer threat confirmed (Update)

France will push for GM ban if cancer threat confirmed (Update)phys.org

France will seek an immediate EU ban on imports of a genetically-modified corn made by Monsanto if a study linking it to cancer in rats is deemed credible, Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault said Thursday.

But the French scientist leading the study said he would not let the European Union's food safety watchdog, EFSA, verify his results because it had approved the NK603 corn in the first place.

Scientists at France's University of Caen found that rats fed on NK603 or exposed to the weedkiller Roundup used with it, also made by Monsanto, developed tumours.

The authors of the study bil
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
There has been a flood of institutional researchers who have cast some serious doubt on the reported link between GMO corn and cancer.

In fact, if the research is a poorly executed as described by numerous academics, and is from a research team which a has been said to have misrepresented findings before; it's a wonder it passed a peer review process at all.

So weak is the case, based upon recent reporting, that I am finding myself questioning whether it was released specifically so it could be rebuked by the scientific community, thus locking in the GMO "brand" as vindicated.

This sample size is too small to rule out statistical quirks, especially as the rats were of the "Sprague-Dawley" laboratory strain, which is notoriously susceptible to mammary tumours, said Maurice Moloney, research director at Britain's Rothamsted agricultural research station.

"The first thing that leaps to my mind is why has nothing emerged from epidemiological studies in the countries where so much GM has been in the food chain for so long" Mark Tester, a professor at the Australian Centre for Plant Functional Genomics, University of Adelaide, told the news site Science Media Centre.

"If the effects are as big as purported, and if the work really is relevant to humans, why aren't the North Americans dropping like flies?! GM has been in the food chain for over a decade over there—and longevity continues to increase inexorably."

It seems all the stops are being pulled out on refuting these findings.

Americans can be assured that if it's edible, and it's been advertised on television or any main stream media... it either has GMO ingredients or is completely GMO-based. While our average health is in decline, and our obesity levels are almost out of control... it makes me wonder.... (I also note that several European nations have noted an obesity epidemic int heir midst... coincidentally after the introduction or permission to use one GMO product or another.)

France will push for GM ban if cancer threat confirmed (Update)phys.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Cancer rates have been on a steady rise in the US for a couple decades and just because no one thought to see if GMO's had something to do with it we should discredit the findings?? Maybe someone needs to get off there A** and do some studies in Countries that have been using GMO's for a long time.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I thought France already had court cases that prevented GMO? And Europe has blocked GMO too, hasn't it?

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Killing us softly with GMO....
Its so easy for them, they can feel good afterall, its only food.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Brewster Kneen's book Farmaggedon is a great expose in the behind the doors scene of corporate genetic engineering research

I exposed these genetic engineering corporate profit lies back in 1999.

Whole nations BAN genetic engineering!! The British medical association is against genetic engineered food. www.argenbio.org... Ah I see now the BMA watered down their 1999 statement which inspired me to protest against genetic engineering at the University of Minnesota! Here’s an article on one of my protests: www.mndaily.com...

I discovered that City Pages quoted from my research report in an article on Phil Regal, a biology professor who supported my work.

www.citypages.com...

So ten years later one of the main genetic engineered crops is creating a stronger parasite requiring more and more pesticide use:

Monsanto Loses to a Tiny Foe: Corn Rootworm

by Cathryn Wellner
September 6, 2012
2:30 pm

Read more: www.care2.com...

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
IMO, Monsanto is part of a death cult.

The Georgia Guidestones? De-population? All via food and illness IMO.

They are the most evil and insidious Corp on the planet, bar none.

IMO they have their attack dogs out to pick apart any study that claims GMO is bad, even though many studies are starting to cast a bad light on it to begin with.

So terrible that even our science is being manipulated these days.

*sigh*

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

In the May 1998 issue of Research Review, a publication of the university's Office of Research and Technology Transfer, Muscoplat's predecessor vowed that the school would become a national leader in agricultural biotech. "If we do not do it," wrote then-ag dean Mike Martin, "we will have failed in our responsibility as a land-grant university, and we will have set society back." In the same article, Martin touted the university's acquisition of St. Louis-based Monsanto Corp.'s Roundup Ready gene--a transgenic technology that has since become a target of GM crop opponents. In addition, he related an anecdote about a university researcher who, when asked if he could increase the size of soybeans, responded: "For enough money I'll make 'em the size of basketballs."

That was quoted in the local news from my research

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Not only should Monsanto products be banned altogether, but the world should legally sue Monsanto for damages resulting from the creation and distribution of GMO foods.

Btw, thanks for the post OP...S&F

edit on 20-9-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
GMO is just plain poison. There are many ways science can be used to help the world and progress humanity, but it seems to always be in the wrong hands here.

Cancer! And permanent organ damage/failure. And children born to parent who eat this, have a much higher risk of death under the age of 5.

PRESS CONFERENCE on the threat of CSIRO's GM Wheat

And the GMO Agent Orange, Roundup versions, also sterilize rabbits.

All in all, its quite an agenda. And the seed bank they established should tell us its pervasive. A dominant, poisonous weed.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Why isn't the USA allowed to do this? Why can't we read the labels? Why is it "against the law" to know the truth?

Why is it our chidren are diagnosed with ADD, ADDHD and Autism at a higher rate? Why are our obesity and cancer rates so high? Is it all the food ..... or the shots???????
edit on 21-9-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I guess, to me, the biggest tell is this:
If it is true that they won't serve GMO foods in their own cafeteria, that's all I need to know right there.

Why are they so afraid of labeling?

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
IMO, Monsanto is part of a death cult.

They are the most evil and insidious Corp on the planet, bar none.

Agreed. There are so many former Monsanto employes in either the FDA or other forms of policy making positions in politics, some have even gone back and forth a few times - where is the conflict of interest that supposed to keep these people out of politics?

They will say, " Where is the conflict of interest"? In a way, i can see that.. just because you worked for xyz company doesn't mean you cant then go into politics But we know these people are abusing the system. Therefore we need to get the good politicians on our side and find a way to craft a bill that will address this issue.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Good on the French, they got my respect

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
regardless of whether the clinical trials are replicable or not...this issue is not about scientific studies - its about food freedom, and the choice of entire countries to grow food as it has been done by every generation preceeding upon this planet.

LOVE

mayallsoulsbefree

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
reply to post by Maxmars

Because in their eyes we are pests.

Government let's Monsanto poison it's people but sends the Feds in to shut down people selling raw milk. Twilight Zone much?

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I read that India is also considering a genetic engineering food ban.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

In 1981 Michael R. Taylor went into private practice at King & Spalding, a law firm representing the biotechnology company Monsanto, where he established and led the firm's "food and drug law" practice.
On January 13, 2010, he was appointed Deputy Commissioner for FoodsDeputy Commissioner for Foods at the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sabreblade
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

In 1981 Michael R. Taylor went into private practice at King & Spalding, a law firm representing the biotechnology company Monsanto, where he established and led the firm's "food and drug law" practice.
On January 13, 2010, he was appointed Deputy Commissioner for FoodsDeputy Commissioner for Foods at the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Why'd you leave out all those years in between? Here's the full story:

Started as lawyer for FDA
Then to King & Spaulding to represent Monsanto
Back to FDA
Then to USDA
Back to King & Spaulding to represent Monsanto
Then to Monsanto (As VP of public policy no less)
Back to FDA
Promoted within FDA

At this point he either keeps a post-it on his bathroom mirror that reminds him each morning "Today you represent the people of the United States" / "Today you represent Monsanto" (UNLIKELY)

OR

He's represented Monsanto the whole time

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join