It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bad year for Michigan Deer Hunters? Warning, Graphic Pic.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
Toxins in Genetically Modified Crops the deer happen to snack on for food at times?

Bad year for life in general....The WORLD needs to pay attention to what is happening in America and not only BAN genetically modified crops but declare them illegal and a threat to the survival of Earth.

Sounds good, but these viruses have been around longer than the GMO stuff.

The link I put up says that they isolated the virus in 1955, and they had evidence of outbreaks as far back as 1890.

Not saying GMO is good, just that it isn't the cause here, IMO.
edit on 20-9-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Strangely, the local news just said this is heading north into counties near me.

I just wanted to comment and keep track of this post.

Thanks for the heads up.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
So far there ar no reported cases in Wastenaw county. Our herd looks healthy and strong this year even after suffering the horrible drought conditions this summer. I spend alot of time out in the woods especially from October first until January first. I hope this stays away from ours. A few years ago we found a couple with CW disease; not a pretty sight. I look forward to this season and hope it is not cut short by anything. I will pay close attention as I always do and will keep you updated if I come across any sick deer. I will also keep my ears open while we are butchering on the farm this year. We have guys bring deer from all over.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
The youth hunt starts tomorrow. I am looking to see if I can find numbers from last year. Also have family members letting me know what they see, or don't.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Well the season is already off to a bad start as seen here.

www.freep.com...

A 17-year-old boy from Brockway Township was killed Thursday in what appears to be a hunting accident, St. Clair County Sheriff Tim Donnellon said.

Devon Derouin was scouting for deer on private property in the 12000 block of Wilkes Road at 7:30 p.m. when he was shot by another hunter on the property looking for coyote. Donnellon said that the coyote hunter saw movement in some brush under a tree about 450 feet away. Thinking it was an animal, he fired once. The shot hit Derouin.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

That is so sad.
Too many questions on the story.
First of all, isn't it getting to dark at 7:30 now?
And serious lack of communication by the property owner.
So avoidable.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311
Well the season is already off to a bad start as seen here.

www.freep.com...

A 17-year-old boy from Brockway Township was killed Thursday in what appears to be a hunting accident, St. Clair County Sheriff Tim Donnellon said.

Devon Derouin was scouting for deer on private property in the 12000 block of Wilkes Road at 7:30 p.m. when he was shot by another hunter on the property looking for coyote. Donnellon said that the coyote hunter saw movement in some brush under a tree about 450 feet away. Thinking it was an animal, he fired once. The shot hit Derouin.
I could never understand how someone can be shot because they were mistaken for a game animal.
No human looks anything like any game animal. It is inexcusable for this to happen, IMO.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Straying from topic here, but any properly trained hunter knows to never shoot at anything unless you're sure what it is. Then you never take the shot unless you're sure you can bring it down. I only shoot what I want to eat, so I want to be entirely certain what I'm shooting at, regardless what animal it might be. Anyway, why didn't this kid or other hunter know who else was hunting that private property?

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by MichiganSwampBuck

I agree with you 100%. I only shoot if I know I can get a clear shot at the animal and I can identify it 100%. This is tragic because it could have been avoided.

I haven't heard anything about this disease affecting deer "up" here, as in North Western Michigan, but I will keep my ear to the ground. I normally hunt in Manistee county myself, so I will have to do some research to see if anything has cropped up there.

Above all, fellow hunters, stay safe and wear your orange!

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MichiganSwampBuck
Straying from topic here, but any properly trained hunter knows to never shoot at anything unless you're sure what it is. Then you never take the shot unless you're sure you can bring it down. I only shoot what I want to eat, so I want to be entirely certain what I'm shooting at, regardless what animal it might be. Anyway, why didn't this kid or other hunter know who else was hunting that private property?

Right. I hope that hunter loses his right to do so forever after that. Any responsible hunter knows to verify their target before taking a shot. There is some responsibility on the kid who was killed if he had not recently spoken with the owner. I believe in Michigan you have to have legal written permission and have to get it renewed every year so that things like this don't happen. It's sad but people need to remember how to responsibly hunt. I am so ready for October 1st to get here.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join