It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Punk Rock and Rap

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   
A few days ago my ex adopted one IMed me and we started talking. The talk got into music, and he knew I listened to Punk Rock like NOFX, Rancid, etc, and I mentioned that I was listening to Nas, and he starts on about how you cant listen to Punk Rock and Rap, its just wrong. Then I say that the soul of Punk Rock is about being yourself and not giving a #. He goes on about how you cant be a "real punk" and listen to rap, its a RULE!! Well, at the time I was listening to Franco UnAmerican by NOFX, and they just SO happen to say "I'm listening to Public Enemy and Reagan Youth." Well, well, well....Public Enemy is a RAP group. I asked him to explain that, and he jsut called them a bad word and I blocked him. NOW, the reason I typed this. What do you people that listen to Punk Rock have to say on this topic? I mean GOOD Punk Rock, not this Good Charlotte, Simple Plan #.

Rap and Punk Rock good?

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Well, there's the Beastie Boys arguement...

The Beastie boys started out as a pretty good East Coast punk band. They made a rap song called "Cookie Puss" just to # around and, put it on the B side of one of their singles. Well, someone heard it, signed them as a hip-hop act and they became one of the greatest rap groups ever. So, even though I don't like rap, punks can be fans of rap. If you wanna hear some old school east coast punk, you should check out the Beastie Boys CD called "Some Old Bull#", It's from their days as a punk band and it also has "Cookie Puss" on it.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Yeah and I'm gonna see the Beastie Boys live in about a month!!! w00t!!!

DLM, what it mean is simple. It means there are exceptions like us,non-narrowminded people, who can listen to different kind of non-compatible music. I guess we are special people. And since we're different, the others don't understand us, and they are scared of what they can't understand. The guy probably talked in your back once, and said to someone else you were "weird".

Since we're more complex, we can appreciate more stuff, and hence, different kind of music.

What happens is that they are angry, because they are so brainwashed into thinking that some or some type of music is crap, that whenever they hear it, their brain automaticly tells them that it is crap.

Wow I really talk too much when I'm high.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   
These are the same lame ass people who say if you're a true punk you don't listen to anything but punk. So I'lll be hopping around to some Casualites (I call them the Casual-ites, not the Casual-ties...long story), then pop in a good old Sinatra album. THEY FLIP.

Though punk kids are pretty bad about it, you haven't felt the wrath of hypocritical, image-obsessed conformists until you piss off an emo kid. I love emo, I'm welcomed by them. But if they hear me start listening to a ska album they go insane. "You're such a poser" "Lame! You're totally not an emo kid." It's ridiculous.

People that call others "posers" are generally the ones more obsessed with their image than the "posers." Now, I must admit, there are some really lame HotTopic groupies who shop nowhere but there, only listen to the music they sell there, and pretend to be hardcore even though they TOTALLY Listen to hanson on the weekends. These people are a but load of fun if you get them outof their shells. Yes!

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I can stand a LOT of music. I can listen to punk, ska, jazz, classical, metal, black metal, power metal, rock, alt,goth and even some techno. I can tolerate most mainstream crap without killing any innocent bystanders until...

I hear rap or hip-hop.

Now, don't get me wrong- I find there a few songs here and there that I can enjoy. By and large though, it's all the same crap. Generic phat beat, and low-quality lyrics. Yes, we really want to hear about how great you are. Yeah, we really want to hear about your bling units, expensive cars, hoes and drugs.

I think it's the self agrandisment that gets to me about rap. I just think "Wow, fifty... you're a walking ad for why people should use 10mm instead of 9." every tiem I hear him. The furious wrath...ARG!

As for punks versus rappers, they are fairly diametrically opposed forces. a 'real' punk purist is as likely to reject you as a 'real' hip-hopper for listening to punk. It goes both ways, son.

DE

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
Yeah, we really want to hear about your bling units, expensive cars, hoes and drugs.

Deus, I don't mean to be offensive, and I respect your opinion, don't want to change it, but this simple sentance just goes to show that you probably didn't listenned to a lot of different hip-hop band.

For anyone that want to enjoy hip-hop, (besides 16 y-o that just think "rappers are cool"), you gotta get past the commercial mainstream crap. Then you'll find some true gems, and original (non-gangsta) lyrics and creative beats.

What I hear the most from people who haven't listenned to a lot of hip hop (or mainly just heard what plays on the radio) is always: "It sounds all alike. It's always the same thing"

If you think about it, if I hadn't listenned to so much punk or metal music in my life, I could tell the same thing about those styles.

Isn't metal always heavy guitar, crazy drums and yelling? (I know it's not, no need to answer)

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I heard Billy J Armstrong talk about how cool it is on R,n,B albums when they put skits in, thats more than good enough for me. Rap is or can be a very hard art to master. Not pop rap real rap. I dont like it i appreciate it.

DLM i do disagree with you when you say real punk not simple plan or good charlotte. Real punk is the Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Ramones and bands like that. I love Greenday but even they aren't real punk rock niether are NOFX or Rancid. They get put in punk because they can't think of another genre that would fit them.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Punk Rock and Rap....hmmmm it can work. I have an album by the kottonmouth Kings and its basicly a Punk Rock/Rap crew and the mix is really good between the two

[Edited on 27-10-2004 by infinite]

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by shorty

DLM i do disagree with you when you say real punk not simple plan or good charlotte. Real punk is the Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Ramones and bands like that. I love Greenday but even they aren't real punk rock niether are NOFX or Rancid. They get put in punk because they can't think of another genre that would fit them.

I didnt say REAL punk, I said GOOD punk.

As for the Sex Pistols (all of there CDs), The Clash(2), The Ramones(all of there CDs) and The Descendants(sadly none). Yeah they started punk rock, and were the great punks to begin it all, but bands like Bad Religion (early 80s), and NOFX(later 80s), and Rancid (early 90s) took it and ran with it to now. When bands like Simple Plan, Good Charlotte and Blink 182, came and #ed it all up.

As for Green Day, Dookie was there ONLY good album with maybe 1 or 2 songs that I heard on the radio that I actually liked. IMO

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Punk Rock and Rap....hmmmm it can work. I have an album by the kottonmouth Kings and its basicly a Punk Rock/Rap crew and the mix is really good between the two

[Edited on 27-10-2004 by infinite]

Yah I agree, I like this group. "Suburban life" is awesome.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Dreamland-
I respect what youve got to say about greenday- Dookie was the start-all, end-all of their good days. I'm not really up to date on most genres, they all kind of blend together for me. Some friends have been playing me some new stuff that I'm really liking alot called psychobilly, but its just music eh? Who cares is you like punk rock and rap, does it really matter? I mean, the only people it would offend or make upset are the people too obsessed with image and cliques anyways.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I bought another copy of Dookie the other day, lost my other one...I must say I do like St.Jimmy on the new album though...

As for the original point, I'm pretty ecclectic when it comes to my tastes, I like punk, ska, metal, pop, classical, jazz, rock...if people don't like that, meh, their problem, not mine!

And ArtStarr, how come I haven't seen you before! You sound so like me
, Emo's are SO easy to wind up it's unbelievable!! Ha I laugh...the other day I had Emo's and Chav's having ago at me...so I like Robbie Williams and Reel Big Fish, as I said, ecclectic...

Oh and as for rap, anyone heard of Goldie Lookin' Chain? The funniest Welsh Rap group, ever. In fact;the only Welsh rap group, ever.

[Edited on 28-10-2004 by LadyCool21]

new topics

top topics

join