It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philly man practices reverse Eminent Domain on city and they are PISSED!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
A citizen taking matters into their own hands is government's biggest threat!

What if we all grew HUGE gardens every year, and then traded that food for other goods or services without money or - God forbid - without being taxed??

Government's worst nightmare is citizen self-sufficiency.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Unfortunately he did trespass. But, eminent domain might cover his liability.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by rock427
I can't help but feel sad about how far this country has fallen into political correctness. Kids can't sell lemonade from their own sidewalk without having a permit to do so. People can't grow gardens, nor give away the excess capacity to neighbors without the government coming in and telling them what they can and can't do. This man can't clean up his local community because a vacant lot polluted with 40 tons of trash because of red bureaucratic tape.

This would have never happened in 1950's-60's America... (where common sense was far more prevalent in our society) This man should be congratulated. It sounds like he did the local city counsel a HUGE favor by fixing up an environmental hazard as well as an eye sore. America, what has happened to you?
edit on 21-9-2012 by rock427 because: (no reason given)

We've been feeding this uncontrollable monster for a long long time. Whether it's the Fed, State, Local Gov, we've been asking them to provide us with what we "want" and not really what we "need", and it's backfiring relentlessly. Stupid crap is in place to make sure someone doesn't get a leg up on someone else, thus your kids can't run a lemonade stand, might hurt the big convenience store's profits and they'd have to layoff an employee or some bs like that. Same thing goes for garage sales and gardens...
Legislation has become so complicated and convoluted that simple common sense or "what's in everyone's best interest" decisions can no longer be made.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
If he was issued a citation to clean up the lot than it should not be considered a trespass when he actually went and cleaned up the lot. A previous poster said this was all about money and keeping property values down i have to agree with him on this one.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadpool84
If he was issued a citation to clean up the lot than it should not be considered a trespass when he actually went and cleaned up the lot. A previous poster said this was all about money and keeping property values down i have to agree with him on this one.

That is an excellent point. He can point out that he was issued a citation for not cleaning the lot, so he was de facto required to clean the lot.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
We are about to lose a large portion of our yard and driveway to imminent domain. The government is expanding the highway in front of our house to a four lane. This of course is ridiculous as we live in on on the wide, country outskirts of a small town with only 20,000 people. No idea why this area needs this road there has never been a traffic jam and the road doesn't hit a bg city (where it turns four lane for a bit) for almost 200 miles. I would guess it's one of those projects where the government spends money they don't need to spend so they don't have their funding cut in subsequent years.they have kicked out plenty of people, we were luck, but this town has been hit hard lately. Last year a strip of hoses were bought and demolished by fema for a fraction of the cost because their yards flooded.
I know, I am ranting.

Anyway,

Imminent domain is total garbage.what this guy did is great yet he will be punishe. When a government can afford to be redundant, they have gotten to big.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

You say unnecessary things, your word is bunk.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Here's their Contact DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

This is what ATS should inspire. Proactive change for a better future. It starts with you.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by wascurious

Originally posted by Soulece
I couldn't resit. The earth, especially America, is full of downright idiots.

Some idiots logic:

You own land. Land gets messy. Nobody likes land.
Noble man grabs hard earned money. Throws down to clean up your land free of your expense. You sue them.

'Merica
edit on 21-9-2012 by Soulece because: (no reason given)

...and again, if I decide in my opinion your property is trash, I can rightfully alter it to my satisfaction?
I guess so much for property rights when you dont like the property?

My house is a personal section. That land was a place for people. Not just one person. And the land obviously looked bad. Why wouldn't you want the changes so that the owner doesn't look so bad? Honestly, it's an improvement and I'm damn sure if an american family went on vacation and came back to a new refreshed house with lots of money thrown into, they would be happy. albeit not everybody. but most.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soulece
My house is a personal section. That land was a place for people. Not just one person.

Only one person is allowed on your property at a time? Is this a state law or a more local code?
Your land is owned by someone, right?
That land was owned by someone, right?

And the land obviously looked bad.

Quite a slippery slope. I think your property looks bad.
I am going to change it to be the way I want it to look.

Why wouldn't you want the changes so that the owner doesn't look so bad? Honestly, it's an improvement and I'm damn sure if an american family went on vacation and came back to a new refreshed house with lots of money thrown into, they would be happy. albeit not everybody. but most.

I guess I still have some respect for property rights no matter what is legally done to the property. Silly me defending the constitution and all.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Sparky63

i have a feeling you hit the nail on the head with that one. the simple fact that the city wants him to restore the property to its' previous condition (seemingly stupid requirement) makes that obvious.
it's a bummer that some of the neighbors are displeased with the improvement. it looks like a great place to have a sandwich & read a book.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
The city didn't seem too concerned when other people were trespassing, and leaving their trash everywhere.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by RifeRules
The city didn't seem too concerned when other people were trespassing, and leaving their trash everywhere.

Hey, they put up those imposing "jersey barriers" to keep the garbage dumpers out.

Yeah, like that really works. A four year old could climb over them with no problem. If they really wanted to secure their land, they could have at least put up a chain link fence to keep the dumpers out.

I'm sure they just had the "jersey barriers" lying around somewhere and put them there more to get them out of the way than to keep anybody out. The only thing those barriers are really good for is keeping cars from driving on the lot. Most car trunks are right at the same level as those barriers so it wouldn't be a problem for anyone to dump trash on that property.

An unkept lot is an open invitation for trash dumpers. I'll bet any dumpers will now think twice about using that lot. Not because there are any barriers but, because the land is now pleasant to look at. Even the most depraved jerk would think twice before messing up a decent piece of property with their trash.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by RifeRules

As others have said -- it's most likely the redevelopment game (a fraud by any other name). A game where governmental incompetence is rewarded with revenue and power and people foot the bill.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

My suggestion would be to tell people to litter around city hall. You have garbage? Go to city hall at night and dump it in front of their lawn. Let's see how fast they move their fat asses.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
oh dear catch .22

We so love you.

-not

Thats nuts... he gets cited for snow/not cleaning the lot and when he does he's cited for cleaning it up.

lose-lose situation. I hope (if he takes it to court) that the judge rules in his favor... Its just blatant common sense to do so and if he isnt then... well... i dont know.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Ha-Ha!!

You know why the city is pissed? They had some sort of development plan for that site that now will be tougher to sell to the public.

It's real easy to convince people that building another prison, unnecessary parking garage, or random government building on top of a vacant post-apocalyptic hellscape is an "improvement"...but who the hell wants to see a prison replace a park?

I'm not saying that it was for sure going to be a prison...but you get the idea.

What do you want to bet that now the mayor of that town can't make good on his promise to slide a lucrative construction contract to one of his good buddies.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

Remember discussion of ads are not aloud here....

I understand the community fears gentrification, but I doubt one cleaned up lot is enough to get the wealthier people to move in, as they fear... No harm in cleaning up the lot, although It looks like he did more than that. Which if it was my property I wouldn't like someone to start building a park on it because some guy owns his coffee shop next door and would like to draw in more customers..

Unless I had no intended future use for it...
edit on 9/22/2012 by SSDDay because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

but if you let your grass grow more than a few inches on your property they'll sure as hell cite you for that!

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99

My suggestion would be to tell people to litter around city hall. You have garbage? Go to city hall at night and dump it in front of their lawn. Let's see how fast they move their fat asses.

Your city hall or mine?
I cannot believe the spoiled child attitudes.
The city does not like you trespassing, go litter elsewhere around your city.

What the hell does that solve?
Think anyone is going to come running out and proclaim "We get it, stop dumping your trash here, we will do away with property rights immediately and you can all spend as much time changing everyone else' property until the day you die!"

No, you will have more litter around your city.
Does that sound better?
Will it sound better when people ask why you further trashed your city and you explain it is because someone trespassed and got called on it?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join