It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fun brain teaser! Lets see who solves it first!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
3 guys go into a hotel and ask the Hotel Manager for a room and the hotel manager tells them he will give them all a room for $30, so each of the guys gives the hotel manager $10 and the bellhop takes them to their room.

When the bellhop returns to the front desk the manager says, "I want to give those guys a discount so I'm only going to charge them $25 instead of $30 and asks the bellhop to take $5 dollars and go give it back to the 3 guys...

On the way to the 3 guys room the bellhop decides to keep $2 for himself for all his effort and gives the 3 guys $3 dollars back upon which they all split and get 1$ each.

The 3 guys having all received $1 back from spending their initial $10 dollars leaves them all spending a total of $9 each for their room which totals $27, factor in the $2 dollars the bellhop keeps and you have a total of $29...

Where did the extra dollar go?

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
27 MINUS 2 is 25. That's where the "dollar went".

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof

MAN...I was hoping this would make it at least a few responses before someone figured it out...sheesh...

GJ though!

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

The bell boy was tipped as they all paid nine dollars ?

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sly1one

MAN...I was hoping this would make it at least a few responses before someone figured it out...sheesh...

GJ though!

Sorry bro, this teaser is older than the internet.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Exactly man.... this is soooo old.
And it's all the wording, that's what "confuses" people.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

The room cost 25$ so each person paid one-third of the cost $8.333, The bellboy kept the tip of 2$,
So each man paid about one-third of that price $0.67.as well, overall, each man paid out $9 $8.33+$0.67.
and sill had a dollar left over $3x9+ 3 x $1=$27+$3=$30 ..

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Exactly man.... this is soooo old.
And it's all the wording, that's what "confuses" people.

Exactly that's why I was hoping it would be missed by some...It is reassuring to know though that ATS has members that can figure this stuff out insanely easy. I'll admit I heard it for the first time the other day from one of my retired part-time co workers and I was slightly confused as to why it wasn't as easy as it seems it should be.

And yes its all in the wording and how its explained to you.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

I didn't read any replys yet so I could stay objective. This is how I see it though.

30 divided by 3 is 10. 25 divided by 3 is 8.333333

Meaning we all paid 9.3333333 dollars. Actually, however the problem comes into play when, when we take 2 seperate math equations to try and total the entire amonut.

It is a logic paradox not a math paradox, I believe. Now I can't wait to see the answer op

SnF great thought experiment

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Magnets!

Now someone explain them !

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
When i was a kid in Liverpool we called this gypsy counting, because they would try it when the fair came to town, my dad told me "do the maths yourself and don't look st their fingers while they count" and he was right.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by inverslyproportional
reply to post by Sly1one

I didn't read any replys yet so I could stay objective. This is how I see it though.

30 divided by 3 is 10. 25 divided by 3 is 8.333333

Meaning we all paid 9.3333333 dollars. Actually, however the problem comes into play when, when we take 2 seperate math equations to try and total the entire amonut.

It is a logic paradox not a math paradox, I believe. Now I can't wait to see the answer op

SnF great thought experiment

This is correct the best and easiest way to explain it is the first reply in this thread lol...

The misdirect is the bellboy taking and keeping 2 dollars. IF you remove the bell boy and simplify the problem by dividing 5(refund) by 3(guys) you get 1.66666 subtract that from the original $10 and you get the 8.33333333 you came up with.

So after the 5 dollar refund the 3 guys payed $8 and 1/3 dollars

new topics

top topics

join