It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RSOE ''Event Into Space'' Lincolnshire 20 September

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
An ''Event Into Space'' happened over Skidbrooke in Lincolnshire at 13:34 UTC today

I've never seen this category on RSOE before although there have been a few threads on ATS and also GLP regarding 'the 'Event Into Space'' category which were connected to meteors.....

I can't find anything on the net about it... Any members from up North see or hear anything? The coordinates are giving me a village named Saltfleet just outside of Grimsby....

hisz.rsoe.hu...

My apologies if this is in the wrong forum...

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
It probably should be renamed to "Event from Space" if we are talking about verified meteoric events.

"Event into Space" just sounds the opposite to me, as if it were going from Earth 'into Space'.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
You see those quite commonly on RSOE. Check the "description" tab - it gives you more information.

Meteorites are a common event.

curious.astro.cornell.edu...

They also estimate between 36 and 166 meteorites larger than 10 grams fall to Earth per million square kilometers per year. Over the whole surface area of Earth, that translates to 18,000 to 84,000 meteorites bigger than 10 grams per year. But most meteorites are too small to actually fall all the way to the surface.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Meteor
newlynweatherview.co.uk...

The article seems unrealistic due to poor terminology.

It claims the "meteorite" was spotted in the sky. But that is impossible.
When spotted in the sky it is a meteor.

The 'meteorite' can only be spotted on the ground after impact.
I know you know that but it's fun to point out the quality of journalism in relation to basic semantics and grammar.

edit on 20-9-2012 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-9-2012 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
It probably should be renamed to "Event from Space" if we are talking about verified meteoric events.

"Event into Space" just sounds the opposite to me, as if it were going from Earth 'into Space'.

I couldn't agree more, stupid terminology...

Why not just call it a meteoric event....

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Meteor
newlynweatherview.co.uk...

Thanks Phage, clearly my searching skills arn't up to scratch

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam
You see those quite commonly on RSOE. Check the "description" tab - it gives you more information.

Meteorites are a common event.

curious.astro.cornell.edu...

They also estimate between 36 and 166 meteorites larger than 10 grams fall to Earth per million square kilometers per year. Over the whole surface area of Earth, that translates to 18,000 to 84,000 meteorites bigger than 10 grams per year. But most meteorites are too small to actually fall all the way to the surface.

OK, I noticed from an old thread about the ''description'' tab - but couldn't find it... Where on earth is it?

And I check RSOE a few times daily but never seen this before... Also, with meteorites being a common event, why do only some appear on RSOE? Thanks!
edit on 20-9-2012 by paradisepurple because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by paradisepurple

It is here : hisz.rsoe.hu...

for your particular event.

I'm not sure how they choose which ones to do. I'm guessing it's because it was seen across several counties (shires, parishes whatever your country or state calls them.) Maybe it's based on "brightness" as many of the astronomical scales depend on that. I really don't know and am guessing as to how they choose which ones to post. Maybe they just grab major news feeds?
edit on 20/9/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

Thank you! Where on earth did you find that, I really did look hard for the ''description''... Clearly not hard enough

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

If your screen displays in English - it's in a greyish/black menu bar just barely above the page you had. It's a clickable link. (menu/tab)

Did you find it yet? It's just above the "translate" icon/button

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Can I ask, I always take the time given on RSOE to be when the actual incident took place... But your link states it was spotted on Wednesday night... So should I take the time given on RSOE to be the time any incident is actually reported and not when it actually occured? Thanks....

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Trexter Ziam, you are an angel! I have never connected the grey tool bar with the event summary and quite often I spend ages searching online for the specific details of an event and can never find it... Thank you!!!

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

I would guess again that you have that correct - the time they posted the article.

The event time was

Wednesday night ... 7.23pm
in the non-converted locale's time.

You noticed

lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.co.uk
right?

Link from description text.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

I just took the incident time to be 13:34 as stated on RSOE... Which made me think maybe not many people saw it as it was broad daylight and that's why I couldn't find anything on the net about it....

You know, I check RSOE all the time but never think about where the info is actually coming from.... Which is pretty stupid on my behalf

edit on 20-9-2012 by paradisepurple because: Sp.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

They do give the source of their information in the writeups. I always see that. I have wondered before, how they choose which goes up there and which doesn't. The "about" submenu item won't click for me so I guess we'll never know.

I posted their source for your particular event in a link (and a quote box) in a post earlier today.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Yeah, I'd like to know how they choose what to report and what doesn't.... Seems like they rely on civilians reporting things as well as official info...

Thanks so much for your help! I always spend ages googling to find out more about a specific incident and only about 50% of the time I manage to find out any additional info... I normally keep checking back to see if the summary has been updated
I feel like an idiot to be honest...

Locating that ''description'' link is going to save me a few hours a week probably

top topics

join