It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bye, bye, old world! Apparition

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla
reply to post by 2012newstart

I suspect prayers, or no prayers, curses, or blood sacrifices will do absolutely nothing.
They didn't help the Egyptians get overthrown by the Romans, and none of it helped the Roman Empire when that fell (even though they were mostly Christian by then).
It didn't help the Aztecs when the Spanish arrived.
It didn't help the Native Americans when the White Man took their lands.

It doesn't help all the children that are kidnapped, abused, killed, neglected, sold into prostitution by their parents, living on the streets, homeless, and starving.

Prayers to gods help no one.
Actions to help the people that need it do.

Go feed a hungry homeless child, contribute to their education, and if you can, help their parent(s) to find employment so that they can feed and care for the children properly.

edit on 20-9-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

I whole-heartedly agree with the last part of your statement, but I'd like to point out that action and prayer do not have to be mutually exclusive activities. Maybe you don't believe in prayer, and that's okay, but a lot of people do. For those that do, it can be a source of comfort, strength, and centeredness. It is also worth noting, I think, that a number of valid studies have been done which indicate that in some cases the power of prayer, belief, intention, attention, focus, etc, can have a tangible, measurable impact.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I am not religious personally, but if a prayer is simply the expression to oneself or anyone else around what you wish for the reality around you, then you could argue that I "pray" for peace everyday already. There is nothing I long to see our species achieve and sustain more.

And I do not see the harm in those who do believe in prayer engaging in it.

Peace.
edit on 9/29/2012 by AceWombat04 because: Typo

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I beleive even among the most hardened atheists, many soon will engage in prayer...I do not beleive there will be an end to this world....but there is deffinately going to be great change, epicly so, and mankind will be humbled. I have always questioned how atheist someone really is when they have so much hatred in them for deity......if they truly beleived in nothing, they would more likely be indifferent, the pain, and anger shows quite to the contrary a need to deny...what they don't WANT to be true, and a personal anger one never has against "nothingness".

new topics

<< 1   >>

join