It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stories To Free Your Mind

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I've got an idea. Except that I'm not much of a writer, so I will need some help.

What if we the writers of ATS got together and wrote stories with the theme of freeing one's mind? Stories which encourage people to think for themselves. The audience can be children or anyone in general. They would be used to spawn the next generation's conspiracy theorists, err, free thinkers.

An example would be a story that takes a fallacy and defeats it, or comment on the nature of knowledge. To write a good one is not as easy as it sounds. Especially if you're writing for children.

Let's bounce ideas on this thread, or prefix new threads with [FYM]. Let's even make it official if there is enough demand!

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Great idea! U2U Masqua and ask for 'Writers Status' - Then you'll be all set to post in the Collaborative Writing section of the Forums and start your [FYM] thread there!

Once you get the ball rolling? There's no telling how far you can go! I'd be willing to help - if I can!

You're positive and you're trying and you're willing - what more do you need to be a good writer than practice! get to it!

Feel free to U2U me if you've got and questions.

peace
edit on 20-9-2012 by silo13 because: clarification

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I'll give you a rather silly example, a hacker koan-ish story by a friend of mine.

---

One fine day, as Master Foo sat beside the pond watching the ducks, a student approached him with a query. "Wise Master Foo, my companion seems to have lost his senses." Pointing at his companion who was standing behind him, he continued: "For he claims that the creatures in the pond are cows, and not ducks. Surely must that be untrue!"

To this the companion cried: "But friend, the creatures in the pond are indeed cows, and I know this to be true. Look at the cows swimming there."

The student threw his hands up in exasperation. "No, you fool! Can you hear the ducks making the quacking noise that ducks do? Cows make a mooing noise, like this." And he let out a mooing noise, so as to imitate a cow.

The companion replied: "But cows do make a quacking noise. Look at the cows swimming there! They are making the quacking noise, like cows do." And he let out a quacking noise, so as to imitate a duck.

At a loss for words, the student turned to Master Foo for guidance. "Please, can you tell me what his problem is?"

Master Foo merely smiled and said: "Cow or duck, do you both hear it quack?"

Upon hearing this, the student was enlightened.
edit on 22-9-2012 by Tadeusz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I did just that but they didn't want to give me writer status. I was encouraged to enter the current writing contest first ( Which I did happily. I like writing contests
) and said that later I may be invited to join the collaborative writing forum?

So, it's possible they may say no to writer status at first. Just for what that's worth.

But yeah, I too would love to have writer status, but as a writer, I look forward to the challenge of earning it,if that's what it takes...

edit on 22-9-2012 by DirtyLiberalHippie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

And what?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Blind Isaac was walking through the usual place in the forest when a trickster approached him. Seeing that Isaac was blind, he said: "Watch out! There is a tree ahead, and you must move to your left so that it does not hit you."

"Thank you, kind stranger." replied Isaac as he moved to his left. And he struck his head on a tree branch. The trickster cackled and scurried away as Isaac rubbed his head. Isaac sighed wearily and continued his journey through the forest.

Now, a soldier had seen the entire event through the trees. He decided to play a trick on the trickster. Donning a cloak, hunching over and fashioning a cane from a fallen tree branch, he hobbled to the exact spot where Blind Isaac struck his head, his hands flailing wildly about so as to appear blind.

Sure enough, the trickster appeared to him and said: "Watch out! There is a tree ahead, and you must move to your left so that it does not hit you."

Throwing off his cloak and brandishing his sword, the soldier crowed: "Ha! I will never be fooled by the likes of you!" Before the trickster could scurry away the soldier cut off his head in one swift stroke.

top topics

join