It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Please show your support.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by davjan4

Here's your flaming. I don't care about raising money for awareness. Making people aware is what its about and not charging them or asking for their hard earned cash for knowledge. This is why, as you can see, no where did I ask for, suggest, or even hint to donating to Breast Cancer Awareness. If someone wants to donate, be it for awareness or research, that's a choice they make. This thread is about being aware. You have done this thread a great justice by helping to make people, who may have been unaware, aware. Thank you so much for your contribution of information and links.
edit on 21-9-2012 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoveyLadybug
Great thread. I appreciate the information.

I have an idea for an avatar that I think may be kind of cool but would need help making it. The bee avatar is what made me think of it.

Could someone make a ladybug out of the ribbon body and add some dots in the center? I don't know if I'm explaining it right but the bottom of the ribbon would be the antenna of the ladybug and the loop would be the body. I think that would be pretty.

Something like this?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Here are a few more avatars and backgrounds for folks to use:

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by LoveyLadybug

Hehe, LoveyLadybug, I decided to try my hand at this. Really, I drew the bug by hand and then did some magic on it.

Unique idea!

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I found an interesting article this morning that may hold out a glimmer of hope. I'm posting a few snippets

In findings that are fundamentally reshaping the scientific understanding of breast cancer, researchers have identified four genetically distinct types of the cancer. And within those types, they found hallmark genetic changes that are driving many cancers. ...

The investigators identified at least 40 genetic alterations that might be attacked by drugs. Many of them are already being developed for other types of cancer that have the same mutations. “We now have a good view of what goes wrong in breast cancer,” said Joe Gray, a genetic expert at Oregon Health & Science University, who was not involved in the study. “We haven’t had that before.” ....

The study’s biggest surprise involved a particularly deadly breast cancer whose tumor cells resemble basal cells of the skin and sweat glands, which are present in the deepest layer of the skin. These breast basal cells form a scaffolding for milk duct cells. Such cancers are often called triple negative but the study researchers call them basal-like. ...

And, the researchers report, their genetic derangements make these cancers a much closer kin of ovarian cancers than of other breast cancers. Basal-like breast cancers also resemble squamous cell cancer of the lung.

“It’s incredible,” said Dr. James Ingle of the Mayo Clinic, one of the study’s 348 authors, of the ovarian cancer connection. “It raises the possibility that there may be a common cause.” ...

Source: The New York Times

J

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Great thread, thanks much for sharing.

Advocating prevention,

women and men alike should switch over to homemade-easy to make!- deodorant. Even a small batch can last months. The net offers a large variety of ideas, ways to prepare, etc., to even adding/making your own scents. I suggest using coconut oil and arrowroot for the best results

Aluminum materials in commercial deodorant/antiperspirants have been linked to breast cancer. Parabens , also in the ingredients, mimic estrogens, as well as build up over time.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I am not aware of any of my friends or family having breast cancer at this time, but I'll still throw my condolences and well-wishing into the ring for all those who are dealing with the troubles of having cancer or knowing someone who does. Life is cruel, but I like to think that the best way of snubbing Fate is to have fun in spite of the growing pile of lemons at your feet.

As I say: when life gives you lemons, make lemonade...then sell it for $5 a cup and save up for a nice big pair of steel-toed boots. That way, when life brings the lemon cart back around, you can give her a nice swift kick up the...well, you get the point. It would sure makes those lemons worthwhile, eh?

Boredom is more a reflection of the person than the situation; likewise, life is what you make of it!
Keeping a positive attitude is the best way to make it through the rough patches...

Whatever higher powers there be, bless the pink on this month, and help all those braving the battle with cancer!! So mote it be!!

edit on 11-10-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

Whatever higher powers there be, bless the pink on this month, and help all those braving the battle with cancer!! So mote it be!!

So might it be

J

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Breasts rock.....lol....the world needs them.....they feed our babies and they are alot of fun.....

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

how do i add the pic to my Sig??

love it!

Thank You

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

I just sent you a U2U message with the explanation If you have other questions feel free to ask and or reply.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Thank You again, hope it worked!!

IT DID!!!!

edit on 12-10-2012 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
October 6, 2014

I'm sensing that Breast Cancer Awareness month is becoming too commercialized. My 15 year old son is on the Sophomore football team at his school. The players were "strongly advised" to buy pink socks, undershirts and gloves for October games. I complied by taking him to the sporting goods store last week. I was amazed to see entire sections of this big store displaying rows of way overpriced pink sports accessories. The tab for my son's gloves and undershirt was (including tax) a whopping $94.83!

OK...so 10% of the purchase goes to a breast-cancer research group. The executives and board of directors strip off 5% for their lucrative lifestyles. The remaining $4.00 directly/indirectly supports breast cancer research.

Since breast cancer is STILL the second most deadly cancer for women (behind Lung Cancer), it doesn't appear as if the billions $$$ of dollars raised for research has done any good. Perhaps there's more money to be made for this greedy medical system and "pink products" manufacturers by pretending to cure breast cancer than actually getting the job done?
-cwm

top topics

<< 1   >>

join