It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feature to track which of your posts have been starred?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

As a mod I've been rivaled a few times and, judging by the obscenity laced U2U's that I usually get shortly afterwards - they weren't telling me that they feel me to be a worthy adversary.

If you recall - about the time we joined up ( in 08 ) there were two members here who foe'd every single member on the board. I can't say their names because I think at least one is banned. But it was a total trip to create a new account, and before you could even get comfy and get settled in, that big U2U ( was it red or yellow back then, I cannot recall ) popped up saying "This dude don't like you none".

~Heff

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

Oh I understand!!

My friend list is miles long while I have zero rivals.

Everybody who's using the rival function is probably using it for the wrong reason while we never know who added us to his friend list.

Maybe ATS should drop the function entirely....?

Peace

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
reply to post by PurpleChiten

Oh I understand!!

My friend list is miles long while I have zero rivals.

Everybody who's using the rival function is probably using it for the wrong reason while we never know who added us to his friend list.

Maybe ATS should drop the function entirely....?

Peace

Yeah, I gave up on using it the first month I was here. I can find "good" in about anyone who is able to converse with some sense, so my friends list would include about everybody I ever came into contact with that wasn't a troll

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
Wellll, it's not for me, but maybe for some. I happen to grow through the written responses of the people I'm writing to. I also apply a pretty healthy dose of self-criticism. And if a Mod ever gives me a pat on the back, then I rush to the thread to see what I did right.

I don't have room in that list for much checking on stars, especially of past threads, I figure they're gone and I'm a new person.

And if you start writing to win stars, it's no longer you doing the writing, it's the ATS audience that is controlling what you say.

id star and flag that reply

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
And on the friend or rival i deleated all the friends i add as someone said something along the lines shouldnt you ask if you want to friend me first.

and yes is the answer.therefore i have deleated my friend list

i mean no disrespect to anyone peace out

phil

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I think I know who you mean. I was wondering where he went....

I'm a big fan of the private message system here on ATS and every time I log on I love to see that big U2U notification. (I can understand that, being a moderator and all, it's slightly less of a big deal for you).

I believe it was also yellow back in '08 but it would be in the top of the page.

Or was it red....??

Peace
edit on 22-9-2012 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by maryhinge
i have deleted my friend list

I also noticed (while checking your profile) you haven't launched your "comments section".

This is where your friend list comes in handy. Sending Christmas-cards, Easter greeting card or just goofy comments.

Peace

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime

Originally posted by maryhinge
i have deleted my friend list

I also noticed (while checking your profile) you haven't launched your "comments section".

This is where your friend list comes in handy. Sending Christmas-cards, Easter greeting card or just goofy comments.

Peace

how does one do that O M
thanks anyway

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by maryhinge

I guess you would find that under tools - profile.....

Launched mine when I joined this site, I can't remember where I did it. I reckon under your profile there should be an option to start the function.

I'll ask a moderator if he/she can add some info on it in this thread....

Peace
edit on 24-9-2012 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by maryhinge

Under the comments section, you'll see a line that has a clickable part....it's mentions launching your comments of something to that effect.
Click on it, and post a comment...it will open up the comments section for others.

Good luck.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

I have done that now thanks

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Thanks i have done that now

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Personally, I wouldn't use it. First of all, I'm not on ATS to get starts. Second, I usually know from posts whether someone agrees or disagrees with my posts. Third, why put the ATS IT staff through a programming effort that would show you people what they probably already know, based upon the responses. Unless it is a trivial post, I usually let the person I'm responding to, whether I agree or disagree.....just one person's opinion.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Someone set me as a foe/rival, and of whom I had absolutely no dealings with whatsoever, (I don't need to give a name as it will be in my profile) He/she is the only one who sees me as a rival...I'm wondering is that a good thing or not!
A feature as considered here could end up as clutter, all according to your volume. I thought of asking about a feature that would track a new post to your thread, as a heads up, but then discounted it for the same reason, not that any of my threads have been exactly inundated
but for others it could become a PITA.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

The rival thing could mean that they respect debating with you and consider you a worthy adversary. Or it could mean that they don't like you.

I see it all three ways:

1) Either they consider you a bright and worthy opponent or
2) They don't like you ( Either way you win because, in reality if they don't like you, based upon your posts and opinions, chances are you wouldn't be buying them pints as the pub anyway )
3) In the long run it's words on a screen and have about a much clout as Lindsay Lohans acting career.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by smurfy

The rival thing could mean that they respect debating with you and consider you a worthy adversary. Or it could mean that they don't like you.

I see it all three ways:

1) Either they consider you a bright and worthy opponent or
2) They don't like you ( Either way you win because, in reality if they don't like you, based upon your posts and opinions, chances are you wouldn't be buying them pints as the pub anyway )
3) In the long run it's words on a screen and have about a much clout as Lindsay Lohans acting career.

~Heff

Lindsay Lohan
I have to presume that they don't like me, since there has been no debate or sod all else. It can't be my debating mate in the pub either, he would rather dissect someone else's dingleberrys than go near a computer. strange!

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I suppose the thread went a little off track from stars to friends/rivals, but I suppose that a page that listed both; What posts where starred as well as your friends/rivals would be nice. I notice a lot of people saying "who cares" about the stars. They say it just means that member agrees or likes what you said, but to me (being someone that enjoys feedback and is curious as to whom liked or agreed tith my post, I'd find useful and a cool little feature. It's just a suggestion guys, don't be too harsh. I'm just a new member that was trying to provide some ideas that other members on the site may enjoy as well.

If it doesn't happen, which it's not lookin good for the home team, then thats just a part of life. I just figure that providing suggestions that may be nice for the site (whether people agree with them or not) can't hurt anything. I', just looking to be a positive contributing member of this awesome forum, because I really enjoy it here and would like to see it grow stronger. I've never felt so at home (online) on a forum until I was shown this site.

I understand that in all reality stars are pretty pointless and that a person with a million stars or zero stars can both be excellent members. I just find that my curiosity gets the best of me and I'd like o see who took the time to star whichever post is in question. It'd even be more beneficial, in my opinion, if (when you star a post) you could leave a small comment on why it was starred. That, of course, would need to be viewable as well.

Just food for thought.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

I have added several people to the rival list and it was not an act of respect, I can disagree and respect that person and even like to see some of their posts. My rival list is uses as an ignore list, people that I will not event attempt to engage or debate things with...

PS: I really miss an ignore option, or a karma option like it exists at /.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

Well the thing is (if I remember correctly) we used to have an actual "ignore" button. When you would ignore somebody you wouldn't see that person's input on other threads. It stalled the progress of threads in general and it was agreed upon that it is ignorant in itself to ignore people because of having an opinion.

The T&C's take care of the rest. Along as you stay civil and polite I don't see why I have to ignore your opinion?

Peace
edit on 26-9-2012 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

There are plenty of reasons. Disregarding how I select who to would like to ignore for now the issue is that the threads today work very poorly, most people will only see the first and second pages of a thread and the last (this becomes obvious when you look on how posts are stared). There is no real quality control available stars seem to me at least an illusion to the "less bright", if one seeks to get starts there are plenty of ways to "game" others to provide them.

One major issue I have is the bug to navigate posts at times it fails to show the posts and puts me at the end of the thread in an empty page. Since posts are already by default a nightmare to navigate (they should be relationally linked not sequential) almost all dialogs are extremely hard to fallow, if theres posts between them. A foldable or tree structure would be ideal, again like the /. software (I think they have release it as opensource).

As an example of members I do not have any interest in knowing their opinion, those include fervent religious ones (including creationists), high mystics and the lunatics (no joke intended). I would also ignore those that defend adamantly positions that I do not support, therefore have no respect for. In return I would like the knowledge that could be able to reciprocate if they dislike my input. This would also help moderation, since confrontations, spam and some forms of thread derailment could only happen by connivance of from both sides.

In any case a ignore option would be simpler to implement a better solution would be an ignore filter by forum (I could finally get rid of all blatant US political chills that seems to invade all recent threads as soon as US policy is mentioned).

edit on 26-9-2012 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join