It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feature to track which of your posts have been starred?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
So I recently asked if there was any way to basically view a list of all of your posts that where awarded stars. I was told this feature was not available, but that I could start a thread in this forum to try and make this a reality. My reasoning behind this is that it'd be nice to be able to easily track which posts received however many stars because (at least to me) someone took the time to basically award your post because they appreciated it in some way or another.

I think that being able to review which posts where gaining the most attention in the forum, which could allow you to grow as a poster by adding what you learned by reviewing the most enjoyed posts and using that knowledge in future posts.

Maybe I'm rambling, it seems like it would be both interesting and beneficial to the members of this forum, and may even improve the quality of posts. So, to whomever would have the ability to either add this feature or at least bring it up to someone who can. I'd appreciate it.
edit on 9/20/2012 by BulletsCantSilenceIdeas because: posted too soon

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Wellll, it's not for me, but maybe for some. I happen to grow through the written responses of the people I'm writing to. I also apply a pretty healthy dose of self-criticism. And if a Mod ever gives me a pat on the back, then I rush to the thread to see what I did right.

I don't have room in that list for much checking on stars, especially of past threads, I figure they're gone and I'm a new person.

And if you start writing to win stars, it's no longer you doing the writing, it's the ATS audience that is controlling what you say.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

I understand that way of looking at it, I just thought of it more as seeing which posts that members appreciated enough to take the time to star it to acknowledge them. I don't think that made much sense, I'm thoroughly exhausted.

EDIT:

Ok, well I reread the first post and I'm sticking to those points. The way that you worded it make's it seem like a contest or something. I just meant people would probably like to see that someone or multiple people enjoyed their post for whatever reason. If it's well written and insightful and you have 100 stars on it, you may want to try and keep your posts well written and easy to understand (this post is a perfect example of what NOT to do haha) while also being more informative, add sources to back up claims, etc.

It may not be your preferred way of learning new ways to become a better poster, but I'm sure there are others who would enjoy and benefit from it. I try to work on making my posts better and better each time. I'd like my posts to be well written, full of any information that I could possible 'bring to the table' in the particular conversation, and back my claims up with reputable websites. It could even be a way to help encourage posters to put more thought and effort into their posts, maybe cutting down on the posts that a 2nd grade student could out do in both fact and grammar.
edit on 9/20/2012 by BulletsCantSilenceIdeas because: added

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I certainly can't help being curious when my stars total goes up unexpectedly;
"They liked something I said- I wonder which one it was?"
Especially when the addition isn't on the more recent couple of posts, which implies that somebody has discovered one of the old ones.
But I don't suppose this feature will happen, because it would probably be too expensive in terms of programming time and other resources.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by BulletsCantSilenceIdeas

I think you would getter a better idea of what members think of your writing by monitoring messages/replies than trying to figure out which posts garnered you a few stars. To me a star means good point or i agree with what you have said but a post that compels a reply is what I enjoy the most however negative the reply might be at times.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

When I first signed up, it wasn't long before points and then stars mattered to me and I'd be smiling at posts that went over well. Then after a while, it stops mattering so much and you start seeing that stars represent approval ratings and don't always relate to quality, thoughtfulness or 'on-topicity.'

How many times does a great post sit in between multi-starred meh-style posts by popular members?

So yeah, it could be cool to have a 'Top 10' most starred posts or similar, but it might not actually be telling us how to be better posters but how to seek approval more successfully.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
While I do appreciate every star I receive, it's not always the best way to judge the quality of a post, especially with a site the nature of ATS. I've seen threads where users amass 3 or 4 stars for literally posting anything that perpetuates the conspiracy at hand while anyone who points out glaring inconsistencies or flaws is lucky to get 1. Not all threads tend to have that bias to be fair, but enough to make you think twice about taking stars and flags too seriously. Having said that, I don't think it would hurt to have a star alert feature for our own posts.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

why doesit matter ? stars are IMHO an indicator that you wrote what THEY wanted to read - it doesnt imply it was truthul , factual , useful or intelligent

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I always get stars for posts I never think I'd get stars on. Alternately, the posts I think are my best usually get ignored. It's nice and all- but would be more helpful if you had a reputation system, where other members could give each other reps (with comments that only the poster could see). Simply getting stars doesn't mean much- feedback as to why someone liked your posts is more helpful.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Personally,I find myself just going back to the my posts page, clicking on my old posts and just seeing if anyone found them star worthy or not.

I know it's not what your asking for. It's just what I enjoy.

So, for what it's worth, I kind of like how it is now.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   

What the other posters said...

Stars, Flags, Wats, Karma......I really don't care.

What I would like to know is how I can see which people added me to their friend/foe list!!

You used to get a U2U if somebody added you but I guess they stopped doing that........or nobody has added me to any list in the past two years.

Peace
edit on 20-9-2012 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Yeah that system has glitches.

There are members who've added me as friends and they haven't shown up on my side of things and the same goes for some folk who've put me on their rivals list. The u2u rivalling thing still applies as I received one the other week after an habitual rivaller had an itchy trigger finger.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I find myself giving stars to the posts that I relate to the most...whether through a good laugh or good, strong knowledge. I am willing to give stars to posts I don't agree with if written well too!

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

You used to get a U2U if somebody added you but I guess they stopped doing that........or nobody has added me to any list in the past two years.

You are still notified when someone adds you as a “foe”.

TRUST ME! It still works!!

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I just assume that all of my posts have tons of stars because I'm so darn AWESOME!

...it would be cool to be able to check though, that way you'd know what people consider "good" and would be able to make better contributions as time goes by.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

You are still notified when someone adds you as a “foe”.

TRUST ME! It still works!!

I only have one person I added as a rival and that was only because his name is "Rival" but he's actually a bud

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

I believe most people misunderstand the meaning of the term "rival" on ATS.

You used to have, if I remember correctly, a friend / foe function on ATS, where "foe" was actually what it means. They dropped that system and since used friend / rival. A rival being somebody whom you respect as a debater but not necessarily agree with.

So being added as a rival is a compliment and a sign of respect.

I have never been added as a rival (big surprise, my debate skills suck!!) but I also do not know who added me as a friend.

Peace

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Yet, typically, the message that alerts you to a "rivalling" still says "has made you their foe".

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

If I'm informed correctly it states:

"This is an automated U2U to let you know that __________ has just added you to their respected foe list in their myATS Extended Profile, which is a new social networking feature of ATS. "

But I agree they should have changed it to "respected rival"

Sending the wrong message ATS staff!!

Peace

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
reply to post by PurpleChiten

I believe most people misunderstand the meaning of the term "rival" on ATS.

You used to have, if I remember correctly, a friend / foe function on ATS, where "foe" was actually what it means. They dropped that system and since used friend / rival. A rival being somebody whom you respect as a debater but not necessarily agree with.

So being added as a rival is a compliment and a sign of respect.

I have never been added as a rival (big surprise, my debate skills suck!!) but I also do not know who added me as a friend.

Peace

Yes, but we like to "poke fun" at things such as terms used, therefore he is listed as my rival, since his name is "rival"

If I have respect for someone, I am able to consider them my friend even if we have differing opinions on some things because we have similar opinions on other things so they aren't actually a rival overall, only have differing opinions in a few arenas.

I have not seen anyone on ATS that I had extreme differences with who I also considered somewhat intelligent, therefore I have no real rivals. With intelligence comes the ability to find common ground even if you differ on particular issues.

The best example would be a certain little Rabbit. Although we differ in our political ideas, we share common ground in other things and he is my friend who I happen to disagree with politically. He is not my rival other than in politics, which aren't really that important in the grand scheme of things.

... just my view of the whole thing.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join