It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ads with sound

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Agree!

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Get Ghostery, fixes that wagon real quick

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking
This thread belongs in members, because I represent them in saying that I do not appreciate the ads with sound that are put on the live page. A lot of us are trying to view ATS when in work or class and don't appreciate the interruption. Even when you're not at work (like myself) we're often times listening to music or watching something while viewing ATS and can't just mute our computers.

Seems that the owners of the site try to put them back on every month or two and it's incredibly irritating

Let me know if you agree

What is even worse is if you have headphones.. Sometimes these ads can have a volume many times higher than another application, which means you could risk blowing your eardrums.
I have had this happen several times in past where you suddenly have a AD playing sound at high volume. This is why I use adblock for most sites today.
These corrupted AD companies are shooting themselves in their own legs.
I really hope someone sues these AD server companies one day. The worst part is that they often spread malware as well that is installed without you even knowing just by visiting a site with infected AD.

Edit: Another thing i recommend is noscript extension. This will let you manually decide which scripts are run. Most sites have plenty of third party scripts that could do all kinds of malicious things.
edit on 20-9-2012 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
I agree.

Those automatic video ads make me insane, especially when I have like 17 tabs open. and takes three minutes to find where it's hiding at.

They are also unnecessarily loud.

Yet another reason to install adblock. Though you should probably disable it for this site.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by goh13
Ad block Plus, maybe? This add on saved my life. Internet life, anyway :p

Someone didnt read the t&c's lol

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I've gotta agree, i was just thinking how irritated I was by them when i seen your thread & took it as a sign that I should read. I don't mind ads if you can ignore them but you can't ignore it when it starts blasting at you & you c**p your pants
edit on 20/9/2012 by LeroyBrown because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I find them very annoying. An even better way to stop these adds is to refuse to buy those products. That way they will stop making them in the first place or go out of business and will not have any more money for annoying add campaigns.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I agree ! It's hard enough using the computer while my fiancé sleeps. Now I have a loud add that wakes her up if I forget to mute the volume. Kind of a dumb thing, I have been ok about all the other adds. But c'mon do we really need noisy ones? I can read you know!

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I FOR ONE,HAVE NEVER AND WILL NEVER CLICK THROUGH ANY OF THE CRAP PRESENTED TO ME BY ADS.The more irritating the more fixed my opposition.
Didn't "TIVO" teach ad men anything? knock it off.

Especially the condom ad that just blasted through on the home page..

edit on 20-9-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
ATS is free, their revenue is through adverts.

Server space is expensive, as is running a website which has this much traffic and users.

I see ATS as having 2 options, one is to charge a subscription, the other is to run adverts. I wouldnt pay to come here, so the adverts are probably the better option.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

Well they could just put more adds instead of ones we have to hear...

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

You are right,but my bandwidth aint cheap either,there has to be a compromise.My computer's main use is a jukebox,it's run through a large amplifier,YOU try explaining to my wife why at 3 am suddenly the house is being pummeled by loud noises...plus she thinks I am doing it on purpose.I rarely come here anymore because of it.There are other ways to generate revenue,as for becoming a paid site....no dont think so..just my opinion.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
ATS is free, their revenue is through adverts.

Server space is expensive, as is running a website which has this much traffic and users.

I see ATS as having 2 options, one is to charge a subscription, the other is to run adverts. I wouldnt pay to come here, so the adverts are probably the better option.

The members made this site. It is user generated content and ATS makes money off of it. The members have every right to complain when an annoying ad pops up on here.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

A lot of us are trying to view ATS when in work or class......

Let me know if you agree

You need to pay attention in class.

I agree with everything else though.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Absolutely agree!

I can appreciate the site needs its funding through advertising, but no need for white noise.

Come on ATS stay classy.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I hate the adds too! They are beyond annoying, and it only started once I actually signed up to be a member

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Absolutely agree!! My house is usually finally quiet by the time I can sit and read, then all of a sudden random commercials are blaring through the library. Then I have to stop reading and scroll around to mute it so it doesn't wake the baby! And no I don't want to mute my computer, there are too many videos to catch up on.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
OP, I completely agree. I have two very limited time frames at work to see what's happening on ATS. Having to repeatedly mute sound ads is just plain annoying and takes precious time. Please, ATS, visual ads only!

GreenGiant

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

This thread belongs in members, because I represent them in saying that I do not appreciate the ads with sound that are put on the live page. A lot of us are trying to view ATS when in work or class and don't appreciate the interruption. Even when you're not at work (like myself) we're often times listening to music or watching something while viewing ATS and can't just mute our computers.

Seems that the owners of the site try to put them back on every month or two and it's incredibly irritating

Let me know if you agree

There is a special ring of hell just for websites that use,

A. Redirecting pop ups.

And

B. ads with sound...

I don't appreciate ATS high jacking my audio, especially when I'm blasting pandora while browsing this site, it's bs and I would of hoped ATS had more class than that.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I'm definitely frequenting ATS a LOT less now. These ads are just ridiculous.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join