It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ads with sound

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
This thread belongs in members, because I represent them in saying that I do not appreciate the ads with sound that are put on the live page. A lot of us are trying to view ATS when in work or class and don't appreciate the interruption. Even when you're not at work (like myself) we're often times listening to music or watching something while viewing ATS and can't just mute our computers.

Seems that the owners of the site try to put them back on every month or two and it's incredibly irritating

Let me know if you agree

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I agree.

Those automatic video ads make me insane, especially when I have like 17 tabs open. and takes three minutes to find where it's hiding at.

They are also unnecessarily loud.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
I agree.

Those automatic video ads make me insane, especially when I have like 17 tabs open. and takes three minutes to find where it's hiding at.

They are also unnecessarily loud.

A big plus 10 to your statement. I also have many tabs open at one time and sometimes in two or three separate windows. The most annoying ads are the ones with a time delay so you don't know which open tab to look in and the ones that repeat every several minutes. They are particularly annoying when I am trying to watch a streaming video in full screen mode.

Some of them have a "listen" option with the sound muted unless you turn it on. There are far too few of those.
edit on 19-9-2012 by happykat39 because: added info

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I dont actualy see any of them but I know many people pay by the megabyte for their internet connection, would be really peed off if my bandwidth got consumed by ads.

Auto starting ads should be banned.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Star and Flag for you. Not only do I get irritated at the sound ads but I also get very angry over the flyover ads, especially when they are directly under the home page tab. I can't count the times I had to close some dumb ad about dragons. I vowed after the umpteenth time that I would not watch the movie because of the irritating ads. I realize ATS needs ads to survive and I do open them once in a while to help. When I am forced to listen or view, I rebel.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

Couldn't agree more.
The ads with sound are really really annoying.
Please stop the ads with sound.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Ads suck...apparently so does a bit of knowledge and know how.... not knowing there's software available sucks...but remember not reading the T&C's sucks too!

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Funny you mention it...

I logged onto ATS only to be blasted with audio from an ad on the home page. Then I went into a thread and suddenly new audio started playing. I didn't readily see any ads, must have been toward the bottom of the page somewhere.

It's incredibly annoying. If I'm trying to read a thread, my very first task shouldn't be to find an ad to turn off the audio or fiddle with my volume control.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

I agree with you totally!!

It seems every few months the 'noisy' ads come around without warning and the threads complaining about them soon follow.

I generally visit ATS from my 'relaxation' room, kicked back in a Lay-Z-Boy, enjoying the sounds of nothingess, then 'WHAM!!!' - time to go change my 'Depends'!!

Really though, I can't stand that 'audio-ads'. It would be great to see ATS adopt a policy for future advertising agreements that would prohibit clients from using 'Audio-Advertising'....

.... or maybe I can talk ATS into using some of the advertising income to help pay for my new underwear!

In other threads it has been suggested to turn on a type of ad blocker, but these ad-blockers are a violation of the ATS T&C, oh well, maybe ATS will get on top of it and keep the membership happy.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking
A lot of us are trying to view ATS when in work or class and don't appreciate the interruption.

While I totally agree that audio ads are annoying and intrusive, I couldn't help wonder why people are viewing ATS at work or in class.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this, I wanted to do it myself. The noisy ads such a pain, like when the kids are in bed and it's quiet, I'm just relaxed and reading along and,,, BAM !! STUPID AD for something I don't want or need. Don't even get me started on the ones that cover up what I'm trying to read and keep bouncing all over the page. I love ATS but this has just about run me away. One thing for sure is, " YES, I see your ad, and because you see the need to force feed me your crap I will put your product on my NEVER BUY list !" If I had a product for sale I would pay for these kind of ads for MY COMPETITORS.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

I was so annoyed by these ads the other day I was considering starting a similar thread.

I usually listen to online radio stations while reading ATS threads. It's really annoying when I have to stop reading to turn off the sound on an ad, and still more annoying when the page refreshes and ANOTHER ad interrupts me.

Why not have the audio turned off my default, like other sites? If I'm interested I'll listen, but shoving it down my throat only creates distain for the advertisers in my mind, and I'm pretty sure that's not the goal of the ads.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

I agree!
Second

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
If they don't remove them I'm seriously not paying my yearly ATS fee next year.
Seriously just mute your computer in class.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Incredibly annoying indeed! Do advertisers think that crap even works? I suppose, there a many who still click the "You've won a prize, click here!" ad. I mute the sound as fast as I can to prevent any rubbish from invading my brain!

A decent solution is to disable all flash plugins displayed on any web page using an add-on to your browser.
Or, if you can read or identify basic HTML/JavaScript, you can delete it from the source using developer tools that come with browsers.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by roblot

I've had to mute 5-6 ads thus far and I've been on ATS for 10~ minutes. Cmon ATS what's the deal? Cut the crap please and get rid of these intrusive and irritating ads.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I usually stop by ATS and check out all the topics, but the past few days Iv been leaving before ever getting through half of it because this very thing. My wifi speed isnt the best, so it also keeps my from scrolling down. I understand they need to make a buck, but how many visitors are not stopping by as much because of annoying ads? Its cut my visits way back, maybe thats better for my brain and mood. Less craziness

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Ad block Plus, maybe? This add on saved my life. Internet life, anyway :p

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
They're videos, and they waste my bandwidth.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Couldn't agree more. There's nothing more annoying than having several ATS tabs open at once, only to be forced to scroll up and down EACH PAGE scanning the ads for the one (or three) that have the audio attached.

It most definitely detracts from my ATS experience.

But I would assume advertisers pay much more to have audio in their ad, and ATS needs that extra cash to store more and more threads (majority of them are not worth clicking on).
edit on 20-9-2012 by theshepherd2 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join