It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple ready to shut down your iPhone remotely

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
First use, MOVIE theaters, I would love that, enter a theater and your phone goes to silent.

Although, there could be negative uses for this, I could imagine hackers being able to access this feature at some point.

I would start frequenting the first movie theater in my area that offers a cell phone dead zone.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

I definitely agree with the idea that technology is enslaving us, or better yet, we are allowing it to enslave us. Smart phones only help that enslavement. So we either need to take responsibility for ourselves and learn to be addicted or let's hope the Sun sends out some X class flares our way
Bingo,..

eggactly what I was tinkin..
I for one really hate the dependency,
and Now with any local enforcement feeling the need to track your phone via GPS and can do so warrentless..Im feeling even more enslaved

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Microsoft was shutting down peoples computers years ago with their "WGA- Windows Genuine Authority" tool.

Microsoft can see every computer connected to the internet using Windows. When they saw multiple computers using the same Windows XP Keys they shut OFF both computers. 1 was a legitimate Windows XP computer.....the others were some kids with the bootleg Windows XP and they happened to use a key generator that generated the key of someone elses computer.

Microsoft didn't care that they disabled someones legit Computer and couldn't be held accountable.

After being able to disable software, Microsoft crawled in bed with a Bios maker and developed the power to disable a computers motherboard....by switching it off in the bios. Why do you think HP announced they were getting out of the computer business? Did they get caught switching off laptops after the warranties expired?

So Apple also has this power, it should be no surprise.

Apple's got many other secrets/capabilities THEIR products can do that the world hasn't been informed of.
edit on 19-9-2012 by Pervius because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by pillock
What about when you have mass killings in schools or theaters ?
No cell coverage would give the killers longer to murder people

Ugh you're right, how could I not think of that. There are ways land lines but clearly the fastest way is cell phone. And too boot, how about any emergency, like a heart attack, you want that cell phone to work.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Hey, if I can do it, they can do it.

I buy computers for my company. Tomorrow I have a phone conf with a vendor who sells a service that will give me a dashboard on my computer to control the iPads I am considering buying. I'll have the ability to "geofence" them (they will operate only within a certain area), shut them off remotly, track them 24/7 without users knowing (they belong to the company so that's OK) and nuke them if I suspect one's been stolen. I'll be able to look at the dashboard and see where all my computers are, and thusly, where all the employees are and what path they have taken that day as they do their job...

We had a similer service a few years ago. We knew a lap had gone missing. Since it was encrypted and password protected, they couldn't use it, so they installed a new operating system. Thing was, the tracking stuff was installed in the BIOS, so a new OS didn't erase it.
We could never pin down where they were, except that it appeared that they were stealing bandwidth from construction trailers. becuase of th eIP address, we knew the city. So I crafted a message that basically said "You are using a stolen laptop. We know where yo live. We have enough evidence to arrest you. Return the laptop to the (city deleted) police department, no questions asked, and we won't prosecute". It was programmed so that next time the computer was turned on, the BIOS would display that window.

5 days later, I had my laptop back. I bet it scared the poop out of the guy. He may still be looking over his shoulder.
edit on 19-9-2012 by davjan4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Is it just me or does anyone else notice that ever since Jobs passed away, we've been finding out more and more about just how much Apple and the gov't are sexin it up?

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
So Phoenix Bios created the first hardware kills switch with Microsoft in 2003.....

Intel created its own hardware kill switch as well:

en.wikipedia.org...

The ability to brick your computer.....I have a theory the reason HP announced they were getting out of the computer business awhile back is because they were caught bricking peoples laptops after their warranties ran out. And maybe why they said they decided to stay in the PC business as either way they faced the same liability.

Any computer you can find pre-2003 is worth its weight in GOLD. There will be NO MORE computers made where they don't have the ability to shutdown your hardware. Read the capabilities the Intel vPro has....and that's just whats publicly available.

edit on 20-9-2012 by Pervius because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
reply to post by Shadowlord

Hack the phone yourself? I like it!

Android has been this way since it came out. In fact my tablet didn't even bother to have restricted access on it, came rooted from the store. I still went and added busybox and superuser because I probably would like to know when something is assuming root access, but apple have royally shot themselves in the foot. And it still doesn't stop people jailbreaking the os.

The only reason I'd ever have an apple product, is if someone left it on the side of the road and I thought I could fix it up. lol

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
......... And it still doesn't stop people jailbreaking the os.

What if Apple's new A5 processor being made in Texas has the same capabilities as Intel's vPro?

en.wikipedia.org...

They catch you unlocking or hacking THEIR Apple product....they turn off the hardware. YOU don't own it.

Since 2003 Computer makers have developed the ability to disable HARDWARE. Microsoft used their "Windows Genuine Authority" to disable peoples computers.....We're going to see Apple disabling alllllll those unlocked Apple products.
edit on 20-9-2012 by Pervius because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by davjan4

Yes well remotely controlling assets belonging to your company is one thing. Having secret access to a private citizens device even if you are the manufacturer, is not likely.

Just because you're an administrator doesn't mean you can control joe blows ipad as he sits in starbucks on the corner of some busy boulevard.

From when I was working in IT, we were trying various remote control applications. Last I remember trying was zenworks. Shocking java based crap. I think they went Altiris after that failed to impress.

But the thing is, you have physical access to the machines in order to install the remote control software.

And if apple did try to get away with having remote access software installed by default, and people are aware of this, and apple still makes a profit, well, suckers deserve to be suckered if you ask me.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy88
Is it just me or does anyone else notice that ever since Jobs passed away, we've been finding out more and more about just how much Apple and the gov't are sexin it up?

It's an inevitable marriage if you ask me.

And ironic. 10-15 years ago people were screaming blue murder about the idea of RFID. Not while I'm alive, and such things. Now, everyone has a phone number. Facebook, which knows where you are. Google maps, which knows where you are. You can use your phone to pay for goods. Which knows where you are. You're on contact 24/7 these days.

And people are clamouring to get the latest doodads, which only add more and more invasive technology into the works.

Who needed to sneak in a small RF chip into your doctors appointment... they just put a price tag on it, give you some fancy graphics and hey presto... bleating to the tune of the powers that be.

Tell people that something is going to be done.. they'll refuse. Make them think it's their idea, and they'll jump all over it to be first.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

well don't buy an iphone. buy a dumb phone.seriously.you vote with your wallet.

a bit retarded anyway.

you can take pictures with a normal camera or a tablet or even mp3 players have cameras.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

And if apple did try to get away with having remote access software installed by default, and people are aware of this, and apple still makes a profit, well, suckers deserve to be suckered if you ask me.

Couldn't have been said better. Let suckers get suckered.

People who use Apple aren't techies....mindless eaters who have disposable income and easily replace their Apple product. Apple stock holders are going to double their money here pretty shortly.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I can't say that I'm too smart, but I know not to buy something that has an obvious symbol of evil on it.

Really? An apple with a bite out of it?? It's clear as day: You buy an Iphone, you take a bite from the forbidden apple.

What type of people even buy these phones anyway? I couldn't afford that bill every month.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Legion2024

lol..while you taking all those photos, lets hope the police aren't asking you if your were driving while using your celly

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Originally posted by Legion2024
lol simple don't buy a iphone. Problem solved better still don't buy a mobile at all and you will be free of it all.

Never have had one and never will.

I never wanted one, still dont want one, but children and grandchildren insist I "Need" one

People become a slave to the darn things.

I have an Iphone, I got second-hand from a cousin who dropped hers and broke the screen. I simply ordered the screen online had it shipped to me ($30) and changed it. You need some precision tools, but very easy and cheap to do.

Anyway I love it for one reason and one reason alone. Ibooks. I have already read over 300 different books on it. It is AWESOME. I have always wanted something I can read with wherever I go whenever I want, and also at night while in bed with the lights out, so as not to disturb my wife. This thing is awesome. The Iphone is definitely worth it. Oh, and also using it as an Ipod, with all my music on it, so I use it when I work out, go jogging, do chores around the house. Oh and also movies. I can watch YouTube documentaries on it at night under the covers without my wife getting bothered, and covert any program I want to and watch wherever I want. This gadget is very nice. For $30 bucks can't beat it. Replaced my 2,000 physical book library really quick. (I don't have that anymore, I lost it when I moved out of the United States. You can't believe how nice it is to be reading books on a constant basis again.)

Oh, and btw, does this technolgy work on jail-broken Iphones too?

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
This is just too draconian. The cons far outweigh the pros. I also noticed many of you saying you would like to see this in movie theaters, while that's not too bad in itself.. the tech itself unleashes a whole new bag of rotten eggs.

ps. i highly doubt we will ever see this in theaters in our lifetime, even if the tech becomes mainstream. anyone remember the crazed gun man? how about ppl who have life & death issues, and require a form of quick communication (phone)? The theaters would go bankrupt in no time.
edit on 20-9-2012 by acidsweep because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeantherapy

I feel like some of that stuff could be integrated into the hardware itself, no? At the very least your cellular service can be cut off or tracked at any time, no matter your carrier. (assuming your battery is in and has some charge)

its in the software . have to be rooted to find and remove it as its in the root menus . not seen any in hardware yet.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   

but don't forget that there has been some pretty sophisticated hardware showing up, like that proprietary google switch that somebody got their hands on by mistake, which had some people scratching their heads. www.wired.com...

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Apple just plain and simply infuriate me,
You never really own your iphone its always property of crapple,
They announce there new iphones with features that other phones have had for years,and the crapple sheep bleet on about how marvellous it is.
They are trying to limit consumer choice by suing everyone else into bankruptcy.
The operating system although sleek on the outside is woefully substandard.
Anyone with an iphone has to say"My Iphone",never my phone.
And most importantly of all its the worst example of how big business can create a consumer world that pay for the Name.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join