It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astrophysicists spy ultra-distant galaxy amidst cosmic 'dark ages

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
this is cool,
using ideas predicted by Albert Einstein,
scientists have taken a picture of a baby galaxy.
this light is from when the universe was much younger,
was spied at a time when it was less than 200 million years old.

Objects at these extreme distances are mostly beyond the detection sensitivity of today's largest telescopes. To catch sight of these early, distant galaxies, astronomers rely on "gravitational lensing." In this phenomenon—predicted by Albert Einstein a century ago—the gravity of foreground objects warps and magnifies the light from background objects. A massive galaxy cluster situated between our galaxy and the early galaxy magnified the latter's light, brightening the remote object some 15 times and bringing it into view.

Read more at: phys.org...

so using a cool trick with light and gravity over very large distences, has enabled us to see something from MUCH further away, a baby galaxy

remember that travel at the speed of light, would mean we are seeing the galaxy in the past, by the same amount of time that it taks to travel the distece to us, in this case 14-15 billion years away/into the past.

we are looking at a baby galaxy that existed billions of years ago, that in its local time would now be billions of years old.

an intergalactic mirage from the past,

With the combined power of NASA's Spitzer and Hubble space telescopes as well as a cosmic magnification effect, a team of astronomers led by Wei Zheng of The Johns Hopkins University has spotted what could be the most distant galaxy ever detected.

Read more at: phys.org...

physorg

so far away without the gravitational lens increasing its light signature 15X
we would not be able to see this.
and captured by space based cameras just after its birth

xploder

edit on 19-9-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Ahh a baby galaxy, how cute.

I wonder if it still exists..

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

galaxies not as cute as little guy,

but cool to see non the less

xploder

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

cant help myself,
this is the cutest pic i found today

there cuter because there smaller

xploder

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

whacha doing hal?

got any cute pics of baby animals?
xploder

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Cool story, why is gravatational lensing only recently being used? Einstein predicted it so long ago, why is it only the last few years we have proved and started using it?

I thought that due to inflation, we could not see that far back. Space is bigger than its age. e.g 13.7 billion years old but far more than 13.7 billion light years radius, therefore making it impossible to see that far back?

I have studied only basic physics so far

new topics

top topics

join