It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PLEASE Ats... help me identify this pendant

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

I would be more interested in finding out if it is real gold or not. That might give you some more clues as to its origins. I would guess that only a few schools would have given out ones made of real gold. But that is just a guess. You might want to take it to a local jewler and see if it is real gold. If it is gold then you can try to find a local science history museum and they may be able to give you more information.

If it isn't gold then it is probably more modern and probably will not be traceable.
edit on 20-9-2012 by crazyguy2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazyguy2012

I would be more interested in finding out if it is real gold or not. That might give you some more clues as to its origins. I would guess that only a few schools would have given out ones made of real gold. But that is just a guess. You might want to take it to a local jewler and see if it is real gold. If it is gold then you can try to find a local science history museum and they may be able to give you more information.

If it isn't gold then it is probably more modern and probably will not be traceable.
edit on 20-9-2012 by crazyguy2012 because: (no reason given)

They were usually made of bronze or a base metal such as nickel or zinc depending on the age.. It wouldn't be "extremely valuable", maybe $5-$15 depending on what base metal was used and it's weight.
They're considered "charms" as opposed to "pendants".

The sentimental value is probably much more than the monetary value.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazyguy2012

Originally posted by Marid Audran

Originally posted by PurpleChiten
It's a little "award" commonly given out in high schools for "science award" back in the 50's-80's.

I actually have a few of them.

Most likely came from Josten's or Balfour. They were the most used resource back then. They also make class rings.

Here is one similar to it from Josten's from the 50's for "Forensics".
www.etsy.com... &ga_view_type=gallery

Here's one from Balfour for "Science Fair"
www.ebay.com... 2c68391a7f

edit on 20-9-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

This. It isn't as exciting or mysterious which is probably why it was just glossed over.

Balfour... That is it. I am originally from Attleboro... Balfour was right there... I knew I had scene something like this before...

I think Balfour is a bit older than Josten's, so it probably was Balfour that manufactured it.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
it looks like brass

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by tracehd1
reply to post by PurpleChiten

Ding ding ding..bye George I think you got it!!!! Now if I could find who it belonged to....my parents didn't finish school or go to college...and as I said...I have nooo idea about they're families or history ...so this little mystery of who it could possibly belong too might just be that, a mystery....

Again Thankyou...!!!

You are very welcome. Us teacher-folk come in handy every now and then

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by UziLiberman
it looks like brass

Very possible, I'd go with bronze, but brass is a possiblity.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
There are two tubes in the main body, that's pretty clear, the upper quarter is purely telescopic looking with a single eyepiece, or it looks like that. The upper part of the sandwich at the bottom looks like it has a keyway of some sort sticking out, perhaps for more lenses of different types, (some stuff I looked at suggests that) while the lower part of the sandwich most likely held the specimen/subject. The background stuff is probably a stew of some sort to be poured out of the goose neck container into the small jar. All the objects must have some significance as a whole in a microscopic way. Looking at bugs? Pasteur maybe.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quantazero
I am pretty sure this pendant is an award given out to high school students for excelance in science. This piece would have originally hung from a ribbon, which is missing. It looks to be made of brass and is art deco, probably from the thirties. If you want to do more research I would check companies like Jostens. Keep in mind that it is cool but not valuable.

If it is made of gold it is a higher level award. Does it say on the back it is gold?

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Very nice looking pendant.

Perhaps a friend of your mother's passed away and she asked if she could have it to remember her friend.

Or perhaps she found it at a garage sale and just liked it.

It does seem to have a scientific theme. I'm not sure if it indicates modern science or alchemy, though.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
It looks to be an hermetic symbol used to decern hermetic "aka" alcemic plilsophy, I wouldn't be surprised if this dated back several centuries.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Also look up alcemicel philosophy, "the thrice great Hermes" very powerful stuff!!!!

There are no accidents in life my dear!!!! Seek and ye shall find!!!'

edit on 20-9-2012 by twohawks because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by twohawks
Also look up alcemicel philosophy, "the thrice great Hermes" very powerful stuff!!!!

There are no accidents in life my dear!!!! Seek and ye shall find!!!'

edit on 20-9-2012 by twohawks because: (no reason given)

Exactly,

Seek and find, except I have difficulty in finding an exact image of the microscope as depicted, know that and you might know the rest.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
please look back over the posts. It is an award given in school (high school or junior high) for the "class award". Either Bronze or Brass and the size of a "charm". Most likely came from the company Balfour

....just saving folks from the embarassment of dreaming up a masonic connection to 9/11 and December 21st or something.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
They were also given out at Marquette University in Milwaukee, WI to people in the Masters of Medicine program. OP you had mentioned that your Grandmother lived in Michigan at one point... I am sure that whomever sold them to M.U. probably had them available for Michigan (being that they are so close).

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Not really impossible, would just have to pin point the era in which the symbolism was used...again it seems much newer than the old symbols used. It would take some study though for sure.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Well the pendant that my Grandfather got at Marquette was actually in the mid - 1930's. So it was for sure available in that era.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten
please look back over the posts. It is an award given in school (high school or junior high) for the "class award". Either Bronze or Brass and the size of a "charm". Most likely came from the company Balfour

....just saving folks from the embarassment of dreaming up a masonic connection to 9/11 and December 21st or something.

Yes, award for good grades. My mother had one that looked a lot like this one from high school, early 1940's. Definitely not gold. Best I can remember, it was about the size of a quarter.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

reply to post by Ben81

Ok...you got me thinking....are you saying the microscope and the other object ( that pipe looking thing) are crossed so there- fore a masonic sign ?

NOT Masonic.. Collegiate it ios a pendant for Pharmacology

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

My mom died a couple years ago and while going threw her things I found this Pendant....

Anyways...I sure would be grateful if anyone can help me identify this. Thankyou X's a million!

P.s Mods...I had nooooo idea where this goes...(?)
edit on 19-9-2012 by tracehd1 because: Correct

Yes could be for a school Not H.S. most likely College if it is Gold and again those are the symbols for Pharmacology.

No MASONS or any of the other silly things. The Masons just control the weather don't you guys know any thing about your conspiracies geez... [Toungue Firmly in Cheek]

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hermit777

My mom died a couple years ago and while going threw her things I found this Pendant....

Anyways...I sure would be grateful if anyone can help me identify this. Thankyou X's a million!

P.s Mods...I had nooooo idea where this goes...(?)
edit on 19-9-2012 by tracehd1 because: Correct

Yes could be for a school Not H.S. most likely College if it is Gold and again those are the symbols for Pharmacology.

No MASONS or any of the other silly things. The Masons just control the weather don't you guys know any thing about your conspiracies geez... [Toungue Firmly in Cheek]

Most definitely HS, I recieved several and have given several.
First hand knowledge here

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join