It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa:Sounds of Planet Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
The sounds of earth captured by Nasas twin Radiation Belt Storm Probe (RBSP) satellite which launched on August 30 this year
This was recorded September 5 2012

www.nasa.gov...
It sounds like birds chirping and is known as Chorus

the phenomenon known as "chorus" radio waves within Earth’s magnetosphere that are audible to the human ear

It sounds quite soothing

Cran

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by cranspace

I did not know about the Choros-effect - that is really cool!

But I can't believe it's true that the " "chorus" radio waves within Earth’s magnetosphere that are audible to the human ear". Man, I believe, is not able to perceive ANY electromagnetic emission as audio (directly at least). While radio waves as defined do overlap the human range of hearing frequency wise, they just aren't sound waves.

Am I missing something here or is it someone at NASA who does?
edit on 19-9-2012 by DupontDeux because: just adding a comma :-)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Wow, reminds me of the emergency signal on the deck of the Starship Enterprise! Earth sending out distress signals?

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DupontDeux

Craig Kletzing from the University of Iowa is the principal investigator of the Electric and Magnetic Field Instrument Suite and Integrated Science (EMFISIS) instruments on-board the satellites
Craig Kletzing said

The radio waves are at frequencies which can be heard from the human ear, but sadly you might need to be in space and without a helmet - which is not medically advisable.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

So i presume it is the same frequency as a radio you listen to in the car or at home

Cran

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

I'm not really sure whether you agree with me or not because of the wording of the article.

The article makes it seem like the radio vawes are indeed audible, but that is not what Kleting really is saying. All he is saying is that the radio waves are at frequencies within the ~20 Hz to ~16 kHz range, which is the human hearing range.

However "sound waves is a sequence of waves of pressure that propagates through compressible media such as air or water". Radio waves are "just" electromagnetic radiation, so as with regard to audibility it does not matter at which frequencies they are emitted - however detectable they may be, they are just not audible.

Oh, before I forget, I looked up the typical frequencies used for radio broadcasting in North America and the frequency range starts well above the upper limits for human hearing: AM frequencies goes from 530 kHz to 1700 kHz and FM from 88 MHz to 108 MHz. :-)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Some more info

CRAIG KLETZING: So you can do a direct translation from radio wave to sound wave and then you can listen.

www.npr.org...
And here
rbsp.jhuapl.edu...

Cran

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Exactly, they translated the radio (EM) waves into sound (pressure) waves at the same frequency and it is audible, you could not 'hear' it if you took your helmet off, you can hear nothing in space, It requires matter for sound to propagate through.

"In space, no one can hear you scream!"

Never take the daily mail as truth of any kind, it is a gutter tabloid rag where the truth comes a distant 2nd to a good story, they are also king of fear mongering. They have some neat science articles but you have to get another source for the correct scientific details.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJOldskool

Never take the daily mail as truth of any kind, it is a gutter tabloid rag where the truth comes a distant 2nd to a good story, they are also king of fear mongering.

Starred purely for that sentence!

OT: I do wonder if this could be used to ascertain the chemical make-up of a planetary body?

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DJOldskool

The information for this post is in the links provided the fact that i added a link from the Daily Mail does not make this untrue
The post is about the Chorus:Radio waves emitted by Earth and when translated into sound is what you hear

Cran

new topics

top topics

join