It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obamacare Tax penalty to hit nearly 6 million uninsured people

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
The middle class will see they're taxes raised.

Congressional budget analysts are now estimating that nearly 6 million Americans - most of them in the middle class - will have to pay a tax penalty for not getting health insurance once President Barack Obama's health care law is fully in place.

That's 2 million more than a previous estimate found, or a 50 percent increase. The average penalty will be nearly $1,200.

Starting in 2014, the new health care law requires virtually every legal resident of the U.S. to carry health insurance, or face a tax penalty. The Supreme Court upheld Obama's law as constitutional after finding that the penalty fell within the power of Congress to impose taxes.

The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office said today the penalty will raise $6.9 billion when fully in effect in 2016.

Source

Obamacare is designed to "slow the growth of Medicare." They try to do this by taking away healthcare from the elderly who are living too long and using too much healthcare and forcing the uninsured whose made up of mostly young folks and those that do not use a lot of healthcare, to buy insurance.

Obama said in his DNC speech, my path is harder. He said earlier that Americans have to sacrifice to reach this new age envisioned by Obama.

Welcome to Obama's collective salvation!!

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
This makes me want to vote Romney and republican just so this monstrosithy can be dismantled before it takes effect.

I'm sorry, but this health bill is a bunch of crap.

It's wrong to force people to pay for insurance they can't afford, and it's wrong to fine them because they can't afford it.

It does nothing to help people, and all it will do is hurt many many poor people.

And i'm sick and tired of utopians like Obama who can't take no for an answer.

I weep for this country.

Screw Obama.

link   
They won't get money from me. I will not comply.

link   
reply to post by neoholographic

Its effing crazy.

Somehow the government can force us to buy a service... And depending on which state you live in, its going to be a LOT more than $1200. As much as I dislike both these establishment minions, this may be the one reason to vote for Romney.

This indeed was the bailout for the health-care corporations under the guise of "universal health care". They are GUARANTEED millions of new customers...

Health care lobbyists spent hundreds of millions to craft health care legislation.

To the point where they were writing speeches: Statements by more than a dozen lawmakers were ghostwritten, in whole or in part, by Washington lobbyists working for Genentech, one of the world’s largest biotechnology companies.

edit on 19-9-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
that's the idea

now they will buy a policy and be a part of the "law of large numbers"

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I cannot afford insurance, so the government assumes I have an extra $1,200 to throw at them? Makes perfect sense.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
that's the idea

now they will buy a policy and be a part of the "law of large numbers"

If they don't have the money to buy a policy, how will they have the money to pay the fine? Personally, I find this an UN-Constitutional and unconscionable power grab. I will not comply. This government has now lost all semblance of legitimacy in my eyes.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by blacko
I cannot afford insurance, so the government assumes I have an extra $1,200 to throw at them? Makes perfect sense.

Exactly!

I believe a requirement to work in Washington is to completely disregard common sense.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
its a tax penalty. meaning you'll pay more in taxes.

but i'm sure any min. wage h&r block employee will be able to find 3000 loop holes around it.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Well, I lost my insurance in 2008, don't qualify for Medicaid, can't afford to buy insurance and can't afford the fine so I guess they can go to you know where or they can throw me in jail and pay for my housing and meals.

edit on 19-9-2012 by Miri08 because: because

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miri08
Well, I lost my insurance in 2008, don't qualify for Medicaid (even though we are under the federal poverty line), can't afford to buy insurance and can't afford the fine so I guess they can go to you know where or they can throw me in jail and pay for my housing and meals.

Sadly thats what it comes down to for me.

I literally cannot buy the insurance (now or in the near future). There is no "your just dodging your fair share". Rent and food for a single person, insurance the car to get to work, and i have less than 1200 dollars a month. I'm wondering how this will go down as I am fairly certain many people are in the same, or worse situation.

I think I should invest in the private prison system. If all the IRS is hellbent on getting what is "owed" (LOL) we are gonna see a spectacular show in the near future.

I for one cannot wait, I'm sure people are going to be pushed past their limits and eventually we will see some sort of fireworks.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
The funny thing is that I have insurance. I'm covered by the VA as a disabled vet, but, from what I've seen this doesn't count where Obamacare is concerned. I wonder how many other vets were declared uninsured to inflate the numbers when this abortion was passed?..................or was it deemed?

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Miri08

And hey, if they throw you in jail for not buying insurance or paying the penalty, not only will they be paying for a roof over your head and your food, but you will also get free healthcare! Someone please tell me how THAT makes any sense?!?

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Exactly,

Obamacare is a boondoggle to the "evil insurance companies" that democrats rail against. They will get millions of new customers and they will give those with pre-existent conditions limited coverage or charge them more.

Employers will dump employees into Government exchanges whether the employee likes it or not. This would be happening now if it wasn't for Government waivers.

So if you like your insurance, kiss it goodbye.

When you're thrown into these Exchanges you will get rationed healthcare governed by the IPAB. This has nothing to do with the uninsured. They use the uninsured as cover to ration healthcare to Seniors because they're living to long and collecting benefits too long.

Obama said in 2001 that the Constitution was fundamentally flawed. Welcome to Obama's vision of America.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Sucks that I don’t drink or do drugs, actually exercise, eat right and brush my f*cking teeth – I will be forced to buy BS insurance so all the fat lazy a$$es out there can have access to more affordable healthcare while they slowly fill their bodies with insoluble, processed empty calories. Too bad this country is not a Constitutional Republic any more.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Everyone's getting their panties all knotte up again over political tripe. It's not a 'fine'. It works like it does here in Massachusetts --- you know, that plan that Romney set-up for us? It's a tax penalty. So, if you're making money and paying taxes it's added into your tax liability if you're not insured. The idea is that if you ARE working, making money and thereby required to pay taxes you should have insurance so the system doesn't have to carry you. If you aren't working there's no penalty (since you're not paying taxes anyway, right?) AND there are State programs to get you and children basic coverage. And again, this is the R O M N E Y plan up here in MA. There haven't been any riots up here and no significant moves to repeal it. Not even by that independent, walk-on-water, tea-partier, Scott Brown. So take a pill and chillax. You're being played --- again.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
This story is not exactly accurate.

The minimum amount — per person — will be $695 once the tax is fully phased in. But it will be less to start. The minimum penalty per person will start at $95 in 2014, the first year that the law will require individuals to obtain coverage. And it will rise to $325 the following year. Starting in 2017, the minimum tax per person will rise each year with inflation. And for children 18 and under, the minimum per-person tax is half of that for adults.

source factcheck.org.

Dont get me wrong im against it, but a little truth in the news only helps everyone.

So 95 bucks to start with.

Obama will be out of office even if he gets a 2nd term, by the time this takes full effect.
edit on 19-9-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by DustbowlDebutante
reply to post by Miri08

And hey, if they throw you in jail for not buying insurance or paying the penalty, not only will they be paying for a roof over your head and your food, but you will also get free healthcare! Someone please tell me how THAT makes any sense?!?

Well, mostly because they won't be throwing you in jail.

The law prohibits the IRS from seeking to put anybody in jail or seizing their property for simple refusal to pay the tax. The law says specifically that taxpayers “shall not be subject to any criminal prosecution or penalty” for failure to pay, and also that the IRS cannot file a tax lien (a legal claim against such things as homes, cars, wages and bank accounts) or a “levy” (seizure of property or bank accounts).

Source Factcheck.org

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
That is exactly right what those fascists don't get for whatever reason(blind idelogy) i guess can't put 2 and 2 together.

Every cent collected from the tax payer from medicare and medicaid go to directly in to the pockets of Hosptial's,big pharma,big medical instrument makers.

Aka corporations, but all in the name of "they care". 6 million uninsured forcing people to by a corporate product if they could afford to have they would.

Utter nonsense or in short social engineering is crony capitalism forcing people to buy products because they make them "think" they can't live without.
edit on 19-9-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaploink

Yeah, I know that and was being cheeky, I just meant that they're basically SOL because I can't pay it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join