It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chick-fil-A says it will stop funding anti-gay groups[Update 9/22/2012]

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by wascurious

Religion. What can be said that hasn't been said already?

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by wascurious

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04

That's what happened.

No, that never happened. They were going to be allowed to open up stores as long as they could show that the bigotry espoused by the company did not carry over into hiring practices.

Sorry, you lose. That is not what happened, at all. There is zero evidence there was any bigotry in their hiring practices.

an alderman has announced he will block the chain's efforts to build its second restaurant in the city because of the company's anti-gay stance. "You have the right to say what you want to say, but zoning is not a right," Alderman Proco "Joe" Moreno said according to The Chicago Tribune's Hal Dardick. Dardick adds that Moreno, who has already blocked plans for a Wal-Mart in the past, is "relying on a rarely violated Chicago tradition known as aldermanic privilege, which dictates that City Council members defer to the opinion of the ward alderman on local issues." For now, it looks like Chicago's Logan Square neighborhood will be Chick-fil-A free.

www.theatlanticwire.com...

So again, that was not the issue, ever.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by ClicheCalvicade

reply to post by tothetenthpower

They made a little extra money, showed the world what kind of idiots are still around, gave christian internet users ammo to prove how dumb christian internet users are...

All in all, very productive and entertaining with the company having to cancel their, previously, avid anti-gay campaign - because, who would have guessed it; sane people outnumber and outspend religious folk.

Nice how you characterize anyone who believes different than you as insane.

I'm speaking purely in psychological terms. I did not say insane, that is what you made of it. I said "sane" and "religious folk". There's a difference between "sane", "religious" and "insane", look it up before you shoot the messenger.

Anyone who is not sane is by default insane, it does not need to be said as it is understood in the English language. I understand the words, I have a degree in psychology and work in a Psychiatric hospital, thanks though. Please show me where psychologically speaking someone religious is not sane as that is the meaning of your statement. Oh, and f you meant from a psychological standpoint they are insane that is even worse than it being a simple figure of speach, not better, although just so you know the term insane is archaic and is not used any longer.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Sorry, you lose. That is not what happened, at all. There is zero evidence there was any bigotry in their hiring practices.

I never said there was any bigotry in their hiring practices.
Can you read? They are now allowed to open stores there, no? So no one was prevented from opening anything based on what the owner thinks or feels. That is a complete lie and you just proved me right.

So again, that was not the issue, ever.

OK. Where exactly is Chic Filet being prevented from opening a store they are trying to open?

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Please show me where psychologically speaking someone religious is not sane as that is the meaning of your statement. Oh, and f you meant from a psychological standpoint they are insane that is even worse than it being a simple figure of speach, not better, although just so you know the term insane is archaic and is not used any longer.

Is there or is there not an exception for religious beliefs when it comes down to mental health? If a person is to say they know a man is sitting on the clouds and he watches everyone, all the time, is all powerful and is on "his/her side" so if you disagree with the person saying this stuff, you could be seriously harmed for eternity.

Now that person does not adhere to any organized religions and there are no priests that can bail him out of the psych ward. What happens?

And what happens to a person uttering the same insanities, but this time, while belonging to an organized religion?

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Ald. Proco "Joe" Moreno, 1st, said the restaurant has agreed to include a statement of respect for all sexual orientations in an internal document and promised that its not-for-profit arm would not contribute money to groups that oppose gay marriage.

the company made nearly identical pledges in a July 19 Facebook post that went up even before Moreno took issue with Chick-fil-A President Dan Cathy's opposition to gay marriage.

Moreno said he achieved his goal of getting Chick-fil-A to "affirm that they do not have discriminatory policies."

"It's one thing to say that's the way you feel — it's another thing to put it into a company policy and an official company statement," Moreno said.

http://a rticles.chicagotribune.com/2012-09-19/news/ct-met-chick-fil-a-chicago-0919-20120919_1_gay-marriage-moreno-first-proco-joe-moreno

I think this article quoted above is a bit less biased in some ways.

Seems this whole thing is a cross between a misunderstanding, people jumping to conclusions, and not really that much changing.

Chick-fil-A have been using the facebook post referred to above as a response to media outlets requesting confirmation about Moreno's statements. They're clearly highlighting that it was their policy in the first place. I can imagine the not-for-profit arm does not extend to all the other 'arms' so it seems all a bit like a game.

Moreno backed down. Chick-fil-A backed down. No one gets what they want I guess. Good compromise?

I can sort of see Moreno's point that it's conflicting to be hiring people, serving food, and taking a stance on sexuality at the same time ... I imagine it would be kind of like MacDonalds declaring they don't agree with Muslims or KFC feeling the need to state they believe drawing cartoons of Muhammad is okay ... it's free speech I guess, but you think a Muslim is going to feel okay afterwards eating a big mac?

Is a tough one.
edit on 20-9-2012 by Pinke because: link breaks?

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   

f chick fila

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

And ultimately the owner of Chik-fil-A bows down to the Almighty Dollar a.k.a. Mammon instead of holding true to God. Oh how the mighty have fallen. One more man who cannot hold to his convictions in God when faced with a hard bump in business :shk:.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Except that those anti-gay organizations just got discriminated against. DOH !

My bleeding heart goes out to those groups

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

And ultimately the owner of Chik-fil-A bows down to the Almighty Dollar a.k.a. Mammon instead of holding true to God.

Bow down to the Almighty Dollar or bow down to your Almighty God. I'd rather stand up then bow down.

If it makes you feel better I am sure the owner will still hate the gays in Gods name.
edit on 20-9-2012 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

And ultimately the owner of Chik-fil-A bows down to the Almighty Dollar a.k.a. Mammon instead of holding true to God.

Bow down to the Almighty Dollar or bow down to your Almighty God. I'd rather stand up then bow down.

If it makes you feel better I am sure the owner will still hate the gays in Gods name.

It ain't about hating them as people, its about hating their ways, there is a huge difference. I was friends with a gay fellow once, even though i hated the fact he was a homosexual it didn't stop me from playing poker and drinking with him.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

It ain't about hating them as people, its about hating their ways, there is a huge difference. I was friends with a gay fellow once, even though i hated the fact he was a homosexual it didn't stop me from playing poker and drinking with him.

I am very familiar (ad nauseam) with the hate the sin not the sinner. Whether it's a "huge difference" depends on the particular example. Let's say I was a misogynist. You could say you hate that aspect of my personality but like me overall as a person or perhaps even love me. Misogyny is a character flaw, a bad one, but it's a bad choice that I can overcome. Thus you can compartmentalize it as a separate component of who I choose to be and say you hate that 'sin'. Sexual orientation is intrinsic to the very being of someone. It is not chosen. It's not the sin it's the sinner itself you are hating.

I drink with Christians and hate their sin (religion) too. Does you drinking with gays and secretly hating make you compassionate? Not sure what you were alluding to. Kind of like someone being accused of being a racist and the response is "I let my kid have a black friend".

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

That is the biggest bull# answer ever.
Can you please tell me exactly what "ways" you hate?
My sexual preference is not a bad habit, something I picked up, a quirk, or one of my "ways."
What ways do you hate exactly?

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   

The funny part about your post is that tells us you actually believe you're doing good and are part of something good by hating. Even alluding God wants you to hate. Unbelievable.

"Love thy neighbor as thyself."

So you play poker and think it's okay, that you can hate him secretly. But according to the words you are supposed to follow as a Christian, you must also secretly hate yourself - otherwise, why would you hate someone for their sexual orientation? ( ps. once you get in the real world and tell people of your hate for gay people they will see it as I see it: "Gay!")

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

My sexual preference is not a bad habit, something I picked up, a quirk, or one of my "ways."

Having anal sex with another man, or any form of sex at all with another man is disgusting to me, that's what i hate, not the person, but what they do.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Having anal sex with another man, or any form of sex at all with another man is disgusting to me, that's what i hate, not the person, but what they do.

Does it not seem weird to you that you are that focused on an act you literally have nothing to do with? An act that is none of your business as what you are describing is an act between consenting adults. It's a socially awkward thing to say and usually it says more about yourself than it says about others.

Besides, if it's just anal sex you hate, I've read there are gay couples who do not partake in anal sex. What about them?

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pinke

Ald. Proco "Joe" Moreno, 1st, said the restaurant has agreed to include a statement of respect for all sexual orientations in an internal document and promised that its not-for-profit arm would not contribute money to groups that oppose gay marriage.

the company made nearly identical pledges in a July 19 Facebook post that went up even before Moreno took issue with Chick-fil-A President Dan Cathy's opposition to gay marriage.

Moreno said he achieved his goal of getting Chick-fil-A to "affirm that they do not have discriminatory policies."

"It's one thing to say that's the way you feel — it's another thing to put it into a company policy and an official company statement," Moreno said.

http://a rticles.chicagotribune.com/2012-09-19/news/ct-met-chick-fil-a-chicago-0919-20120919_1_gay-marriage-moreno-first-proco-joe-moreno

I think this article quoted above is a bit less biased in some ways.

Seems this whole thing is a cross between a misunderstanding, people jumping to conclusions, and not really that much changing.

Chick-fil-A have been using the facebook post referred to above as a response to media outlets requesting confirmation about Moreno's statements. They're clearly highlighting that it was their policy in the first place. I can imagine the not-for-profit arm does not extend to all the other 'arms' so it seems all a bit like a game.

Moreno backed down. Chick-fil-A backed down. No one gets what they want I guess. Good compromise?

I can sort of see Moreno's point that it's conflicting to be hiring people, serving food, and taking a stance on sexuality at the same time ... I imagine it would be kind of like MacDonalds declaring they don't agree with Muslims or KFC feeling the need to state they believe drawing cartoons of Muhammad is okay ... it's free speech I guess, but you think a Muslim is going to feel okay afterwards eating a big mac?

Is a tough one.
edit on 20-9-2012 by Pinke because: link breaks?

What they feel is irelevant. They can choose to not buy the product. The sole issue is whether the government should step in to CURTAIL FREE SPEACH. It should not. It did. It was wrong. If there was EVIDENCE of discrimination in hiring then there would be something, there is not. It's like me calling you a racist, and you're already guilty and will be treated like a racist with NO EVIDENCE of you being one until YOU prove you aren't. It's wrong. End of story.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Please show me where psychologically speaking someone religious is not sane as that is the meaning of your statement. Oh, and f you meant from a psychological standpoint they are insane that is even worse than it being a simple figure of speach, not better, although just so you know the term insane is archaic and is not used any longer.

Is there or is there not an exception for religious beliefs when it comes down to mental health? If a person is to say they know a man is sitting on the clouds and he watches everyone, all the time, is all powerful and is on "his/her side" so if you disagree with the person saying this stuff, you could be seriously harmed for eternity.

Now that person does not adhere to any organized religions and there are no priests that can bail him out of the psych ward. What happens?

And what happens to a person uttering the same insanities, but this time, while belonging to an organized religion?

I work in Psychiatry, you have zero understanding of the subject. There is no exception for religious beliefs. You will be labelled hyper-religious and in a psychiatric hospital whether you belong to an organized religion or not if you meet the criteria. We have had numerous hyper-religious patients, every last one of them has belonged to organized religion.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
The pressure was too much was it?

Source

Chick-fil-A has agreed to stop funding groups with anti-same-sex marriage stances, according to a statement released Wednesday by LGBT advocacy group The Civil Rights Agenda.

Chicago Alderman Joe Moreno, who had blocked the fast-food chain from opening stores in Chicago because of its anti-gay views, likewise announced he would now let Chick-fil-A open up new outlets after he received a letter this morning from the company stating that they would cease donating to the groups.

"Going forward, our intent is to leave the policy debate over same-sex marriage to the government and political arena." Chick-fil-A wrote in an emailed statement to NBC News. Civil Rights Agenda (CRA) and Moreno's office did not respond to emailed requests.

Honestly, although I think the practice of funding anti-gay groups is insane, I have to say I am dismayed that they would forgo their rights to support whatever group they wanted, because of some people who disagreed.

What is American coming to when PC is taking over the basic rights of a company, it's owners and their *private* dealings with other organizations?

A shame really.

As another gay man....I agree totally. Star and Flag my friend.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

reply to post by wascurious

Religion. What can be said that hasn't been said already?

How's this...?

"At my Church they give away rubber knives and a couple of sacks of jellybeans"

Topic..........eating that Chick-fil-A chicken won't do anyone any good gay or straight. It's filled with growth hormone and stuff that no one but a scientist can pronounce.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 21-9-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join