Chick-fil-A says it will stop funding anti-gay groups[Update 9/22/2012]

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dnepropetrovsk
reply to post by detachedindividual

If it were the other way around and some company was being blocked because the owners gave money to pro-gay groups then all hell would have broken lose.

It goes both ways unfortunately

I saw Apple get denied a tax break in the early 90s in Texas when they wanted to build a complex near Austin. It's very common here for large companies to get tax breaks when building new plants or office buildings that employ a large number of people. They were denied the tax break due to their support of same sex partners. They gave benefits such as health insurance to domestic partners.

The sad thing was that the area lost 700 jobs that they really needed at that time due to the beliefs of the people running the company conflicting with the religious beliefs of the county tax commissioners. The commissioners straight out said it was the reason.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Freedom from censorship does not mean freedom from criticism.

Chick-fil-A or anybody for that matter is entitled to their opinions and is entitled to peacefully express those opinions. On the other hand, if I do not agree with Chick-fil-A, I am entitled to peacefully express my opinion and can express that opinion with my words or my wallet.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I wonder if Chick-fil-A is caving in to the pressure of the protests or if somebody has dirt on them.

The only people that have strong opinion about gay issues, one way or the other, are gay people. Most of us have much more important things going on in our lives than to worry about what gay people might be up to.

It appears that at least some people at Chick-fil-A has a strong opinion about a gay issue which means said person might be secretly gay. Perhaps someone threatened to out said people, at which point they changed their tune.

I heard a rumor a similar thing happened with the Mormon Church after they backed Proposition 8, an anti-gay marriage law, in California.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
It's a good move on the part of the company. Removing the issue from the corporate stance eliminates the drama. They had their most profitable days during the protests so saying this is only because of money is ignorant. The franchise owners were wrongfully being accused of discriminating against customers because of the political positions of the owner so this was the right thing to do for them specifically.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
Whatever the reason.
It is a positive step forward.
And I applaud Chick-Fil-A for it's actions.

No one should be discriminated against.

no one should be discriminated against?? i discriminate against bible thumping christians that try and force their beliefs into becoming law. keep your religion in your church and home, and keep it out of my face, and out of government legislation.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

Dear hotpinkurinalmint,

Hey, thanks. Very reasonable post, good to talk with you.

Chick-fil-A or anybody for that matter is entitled to their opinions and is entitled to peacefully express those opinions. On the other hand, if I do not agree with Chick-fil-A, I am entitled to peacefully express my opinion and can express that opinion with my words or my wallet.
Would you be surprised if I said I agreed completely?

My first point hinges on the spray paint graffiti on the grounds and buildings of some drive-throughs. Then there were the death threats and harrassment of employees. Somewhere the line has to be drawn.

My second point is that it appears that Chick-fil-A gave into to pressure and decided to censor themselves from expressing a perfectly legitimate opinion. I don't know what caused it, but I don't care for it. There's enough of the "I musn't say that, it might offend somebody" virus going around.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
My bet is that one of the owners had a kid come out of the closet and didn't want the bad publicity their
hypocritical stance on homosexuality to be pointed out.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint

The only people that have strong opinion about gay issues, one way or the other, are gay people.

So the owner of Chic Filet is gay?
All of the Westboro Baptist Church is gay?
I hear more about gay issues from self proclaimed straight republican men than anyone else. What are you saying?

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by wascurious

If I may put words in that poster's mouth, this is what I think he's saying:

If you're for us, you're gay.

If you're against us, you're gay.

If you don't care, you're either, bisexual, transgendered, or bi-curious.

If you're straight you are lying or you don't exist. You must be a figment of my imagination, which I shall dispel with some of my magic fairy glitter.

There, got it?

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
The conservatives will forgive them for caving. And eventually the gays will too.

Their job is to sell chicken. They are expanding their target audience. Period.

On a personal level, the management decided that portraying the hospitality of Christ to every single potential customer is a more important goal that merely spreading a subjective political viewpoint that isn't the red-letter word of Jesus anyway.

Their anti-gayness was getting in the way of the chance to quietly beam the light of Jesus at every person who walks in the front door.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
Whatever the reason.
It is a positive step forward.
And I applaud Chick-Fil-A for it's actions.

No one should be discriminated against.

Except that those anti-gay organizations just got discriminated against. DOH !

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

How so?

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
The pressure was too much was it?

Source

Chick-fil-A has agreed to stop funding groups with anti-same-sex marriage stances, according to a statement released Wednesday by LGBT advocacy group The Civil Rights Agenda.

Chicago Alderman Joe Moreno, who had blocked the fast-food chain from opening stores in Chicago because of its anti-gay views, likewise announced he would now let Chick-fil-A open up new outlets after he received a letter this morning from the company stating that they would cease donating to the groups.

"Going forward, our intent is to leave the policy debate over same-sex marriage to the government and political arena." Chick-fil-A wrote in an emailed statement to NBC News. Civil Rights Agenda (CRA) and Moreno's office did not respond to emailed requests.

Honestly, although I think the practice of funding anti-gay groups is insane, I have to say I am dismayed that they would forgo their rights to support whatever group they wanted, because of some people who disagreed.

What is American coming to when PC is taking over the basic rights of a company, it's owners and their *private* dealings with other organizations?

A shame really.

The government didn't like their free speach and was blocking them from opening stores. Whether you agree with Chikfila or not, this is something we should all be ashamed of.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by wascurious

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

How so?

Because the government would not allow Chikfila to open up new stores until they stopped supporting them. Government sponsored discrimination, and it's sickening.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
reply to post by charles1952

How about the Government, can the government say we don't like your stance, you can't open up any new stores until you think how we want you to think?

That's what happened.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

They made a little extra money, showed the world what kind of idiots are still around, gave christian internet users ammo to prove how dumb christian internet users are...

All in all, very productive and entertaining with the company having to cancel their, previously, avid anti-gay campaign - because, who would have guessed it; sane people outnumber and outspend religious folk.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ClicheCalvicade

They made a little extra money, showed the world what kind of idiots are still around, gave christian internet users ammo to prove how dumb christian internet users are...

All in all, very productive and entertaining with the company having to cancel their, previously, avid anti-gay campaign - because, who would have guessed it; sane people outnumber and outspend religious folk.

Nice how you characterize anyone who believes different than you as insane.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04

Originally posted by ClicheCalvicade

Nice how you characterize anyone who believes different than you as insane.

I'm speaking purely in psychological terms. I did not say insane, that is what you made of it. I said "sane" and "religious folk". There's a difference between "sane", "religious" and "insane", look it up before you shoot the messenger.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   

That's what happened.

No, that never happened. They were going to be allowed to open up stores as long as they could show that the bigotry espoused by the company did not carry over into hiring practices.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Because the government would not allow Chikfila to open up new stores until they stopped supporting them. Government sponsored discrimination, and it's sickening.

None of that ever happened. Either you are making it up or you are falling for lies from other people. I would guess that latter.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join