It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billboard in Kentucky say's"Don't believe in God? Join the club" So what!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
This was posted on my facebook news feed a few minutes ago, not sure if it has been started here yet, but it has caused quite a debate on freedom of speech and the beliefs in God.
I have to say I defend this billboard as it is just an advertisement. It is also our American right to have freedom of speech and people are saying "take it down", "its an abomination", and preaching left and right on how they will go to hell because of it. Well, so what! If we(yes me too) do not believe in God and want to advertise that, we can and we will. Just like all of you religious people do, and you do advertise a lot. I mean really? I have seen tons of billboards promoting churches and never got offended. We live in a very diverse world full of people with different beliefs and religions etc. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and opinions and shouldnt be judged by another human for doing so.
Anyway, those are my thoughts on all of this..I might have a bit more to say later if any of you want to weigh in on this, be my guest...

www.kltv.com... oin-the-club

A controversial billboard is up in Kentucky. now some Christians say - it needs to come down - while others are claiming freedom of speech. The billboard hasn't been up very long. It says, "Don't believe in God? Join the club." That "club" is the "Bluegrass Coalition of Reason." And they want everyone to know they are there. A spokesperson for the club said, "We are not here to change anyone's opinion or tell anybody they are wrong or right or anything else. We are just trying to advertise that we are here." As you can imagine, not everyone is thrilled. This billboard is not unique to Lexington. They've been put up in Colorado, Idaho and Florida.

edit on 19-9-2012 by lyons666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I couldn't agree with you more about the slanted portion of ads promoting a religious agenda while very few come from atheists.

Be prepared for the avalanche of religious types coming to disagree with your observation on advertising and religious views even if they are spot on!
edit on 19-9-2012 by Ericthenewbie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Seems pretty harmless. Its not criticising anybody else for believing. Just advertising for people who already don't.

Directly equivalent to a church billboard.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by lyons666

If you believe in God, GREAT! If you don't believe in God, GREAT!

This crap reminds me of being back in grade school! It is done to create DIVISION and show how childish this group or that group may be! I don't care if you worship your toilet bowl in your home, it isn't any of my business and it doesn't or SHOULDN'T affect my life or anyone elses for that matter!

Religion is used as weapon against everyone by the same governments that try to tell us we should be nice to each other and practice tolerance, when in fact, the only reason religion has become a dangerous subject to tread on, is that those in charge use it to get all of our panties in an uproar!

If there is a God or Gods, they would be mad as hell out how easily we can all be lead!

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Ericthenewbie

Oh, im ready for it...Thats why I posted it here on ATS and not on facebook, where I can get all sides and comments from various people around the world who understand more of what is going in this crazy world, not just the Bible belt of Texas...

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
People are more sensitive and get offended more easily than they used to in the past.

Many people do not believe in God, and that is their choice.

Those who are religious and find this offensive need to remember that God is the ultimate judge over other people, not them. They need to concentrate on removing the beam in their own eye before fussing over the splinter in somebody else's.

I personally am an agnostic, but atheists don't bother me. Neither do rabid religious fundamentalists. Live and let live is my motto.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Great advert, It's done it's job well.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

It is harmless, at least it doesnt say "Your going to hell if you dont except Jesus into your life".

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I feel bad for them. It is my personal belief that they are wrong.
That said, I'm not going to go all #muslinrage over it.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Religion is a weapon, one of slavery and brainwashing. Non believers dont go around condeming you for your beliefs or nonbeliefs. I dont. You are free to believe in whatever you like. Anyway you see this, it all comes down to freedom of speech.... Im sure there will be more to follow now that this has caught a lot of attention.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen
I feel bad for them. It is my personal belief that they are wrong.
That said, I'm not going to go all #muslinrage over it.

Thats kind of funny (muslinrage)..But it is what it is, and religion is a strong subject with a lot of backlash of defensive fanatics that take it way too far.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
It shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody. It's obvious the majority of the world doesn't have the love of the Lord in their hearts anymore, just as the Bible said would happen. Some billboard stating such doesn't make it any worse or any better.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jeramie

I agree 100% on that!!

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jeramie

Strange I'd say much of the violence we see in the world springs from faith not the lack

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

That is so true..It is amazing how religion has turned into the big evil, starting wars, arguements and killing. I thought if you were a believer in God or what ever you call him in your religion, that you are to be kind to one another and treat all others as you would want to be treated.. Thats the way it goes right?

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Well - let me just state for the record that I am a Christian. I would absolutely defend in every way their right to advertise and promote their club just as much as churches and religions have the right to advertise their stuff. I can not for the life of me understand these hypocritical religious types who feel that it is their duty to shove their bigoted beliefs down everybodies throats and tell people what they can and can't do or who they can or can't get married to and who will end up in this fictional, flaming "hell" that is nowhere to be found in any accurate interpretation of the Bible.

Christianity - to me and a growing number of people like me anyway - is me believing in God and trying to follow the example that Jesus set even though I may fail at it every day. To show love and mercy, to help where help is needed, to set an example instead of telling someone how to be. If a majority of these people who call themselves Christians would actually understand what Christ was saying and teaching and setting the example for us to follow, the world would truly be a better place. They would see that Jesus did not condemn the so called "sinners". He even prayed for forgiveness for the very people who crucified him. He hung out with the "sinners" of His day. The only harsh words He had towards people were directed to the religious leaders and zealots of His time - pointing out what hypocrites they were. Christians are commanded to love everyone and to treat everyone in the same way you wish to be treated, so how is telling someone that they don't have the right to advertise their beliefs supposed to be "doing unto others as you would have them do unto you"? We are to serve all of those around us - not condemn, not to make them serve us, not to overlook our many many faults while pointing out theirs.

For what it's worth, I apologize for the ignorance and arrogance of the people who take the Christian faith and turn it into the tool of religion in order to constrain and judge others. They truly do not understand what Christ was saying.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

I'm more Buddhist than anything, but it's kind of ignorant to attack the concept of a God, when the real problem is not "God" but people claiming they work for God, do God's bidding, know what God wants, etc.

If anything, attack religion, not the universal force that put us here.

edit on 19-9-2012 by DeReK DaRkLy because: goddamned typo...

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by tallcool1

Im glad to see there are some true Christians out there who have been taught the right way.
I have had a bad experience with church and religion having given me rules and ways I should dress or live which only made me turn away from it all together.
I know there is a higher being out there, and it is of love and light. Treating one another with love, kindness, and mercy is all one should be, whether they are Christian or not...

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by DeReK DaRkLy

I attack religion too..It is the big evil and has deceived many into believing in the wrong things and doing the wrong things. Religion has also turned many good people into robotic slaves that follow and do what ever their leader or pastor says to do. Religion is man made slavery...

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by iforget
reply to post by jeramie

Strange I'd say much of the violence we see in the world springs from faith not the lack

Indeed.

How many wars are fought over religion? The Pope is responsible for the deaths and suffering of millions thanks to the Catholic involvement in promoting unsafe sex in Africa. Iran hangs gay people on religious grounds. President Bush stood on podiums and preached about his God while bombs rained down on Iraq. Hundreds of thousands are rioting across the Muslim world over a pathetic movie trailer...

And the atheists look on in disgust at these loving and peaceful religions.

On the OP, I really don't care, but it's always funny to see hypocrite Americans waving a Bible in one hand, their constitution in another, and screaming about removing the freedoms of others at the same time.

<<   2 >>

join